Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

954 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2007 8:54 PM by nocknee
nocknee Rookie 127 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 9, 2007 11:10 PM

miles per brand

In the 15 months since I started running I've worn only Mizuno. The fit and feel is great. My only complaint is the mileage - they seem to wear out after 250 miles or so. At 135 lbs I'm not exactly a clydesdale.

Who out there has worn more than one brand and measured the miles they got out of them?

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 10, 2007 11:25 AM (in response to nocknee)
    Re: miles per brand

You're gonna get answers all over the board here. There are so many factors that come into play. Not all miles are created equal. If you're running 20-25 MPW you're probably gonna get more miles than you will if you're running 60-65 MPW.

My last pair of shoes were flats, Sauvony Fastwitch Endurace. I only got about 250 out of them, but that's pretty decent for flats.

NB 755s are a workhouse. I put 350 miles on mine and got a new pair well before I needed to.

• txdave13 Rookie 95 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    2. Aug 10, 2007 1:22 PM (in response to nocknee)

Like mrinertia said, YMMV. That being said:

I'm a hair under 6 foot and about 188 pounds. My current shoes (Nike Triax 9 - I got a good deal) are wearing poorly. I've only got a little over 150 on them and the soles are showing mucho wear.

I ran in a pair of Mizuno Wave Alchemy for a while. They were OK, but like you, my Mizunos lasted maybe 250.

I've had the best success with Asics. My last pair of Evolutions lasted through 350 miles and I could've likely squeezed another 50 out of 'em.

• slowmo27 Rookie 48 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 10, 2007 1:30 PM (in response to nocknee)

I've had the same thing with Mizuno's. I wore the Alchemy and then later the Legend, I think. Anyway- I tended to get just 250 miles outta them. I switched to Brooks (after two years or so in Mizunos), and those seemed to last longer. I wore the Brooks Adrenaline for about two more years...

My weekly mileage ranged from 20-25 mpw to 30-35 mpw...

• milkbaby004 Rookie 447 posts since
    Jul 28, 2003
    4. Aug 10, 2007 2:32 PM (in response to nocknee)

Like mrinertia said, all different brands and models last longer or shorter for all different types of people.  One of the shoes I use is the Mizuno Wave Rider and I typically run in them for 500 miles, and I am 135 lbs running about 60-70 mpw.  But maybe you strike the ground differently and they won't last as long for you.

I usually try to get 500 miles out of my shoes before retiring them from running, and that has held true for shoes from Nike, Adidas, and Mizuno.  But that is just me and those particular models.  To be honest, even with the same model, sometimes the shoes last longer or shorter just depending.

• Tracy Lightfoot Rookie 94 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    5. Aug 13, 2007 6:34 AM (in response to nocknee)

It'll depend on the Mizunos you have -- the Creation, the Rider and the Nirvana should all get decent mileage. I'm suprised to hear the Alchemy doesn't, really. Now, my Precisions? Probably 300, but it's a performance trainer.

It'll be the same with other brands, too -- more supportive/cushioned shoes will last longer, obviously.

But, if you've had multiple pairs of Alchemys and have gotten the same mileage out of them, I'd shoot Mizuno an email. I'd be curious what they have to say.

• AndyHass Rookie 1,368 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Aug 13, 2007 9:20 AM (in response to nocknee)

My trainers have been exclusively Mizuno since 2003, Wave Riders and for 2.5 years Wave Precisions.  I run every pair to 700 miles.  I've neglected adding up my miles recently so my current pair might be over.  So it really depends what your definition of worn out is.

I think you may have to go by model not brand.  I had a pair of Brooks that went 1000 miles, and another that literally fell apart in 200.  Same story with Nike.

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    8. Aug 17, 2007 2:31 PM (in response to nocknee)

I weigh over 200 and wear my Mizuno Wave Rider's for at least 1 year @ 30 mpw year round. My last pair felt great past 18 mos.. but replaced them anyway because they have nicks when I sometimes rub shoes when I run and I always poke a hole in the mesh with my left pinky toe.

I run on a hilly asphalt road and sometimes run on the treadmill. Parts of the time I'll run strides on a cement tarmac. The Riders still have tread underneath too and feel so comfortable.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...