Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

151332 Views 423 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2010 7:57 AM by LemonaidLucy RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 29 Previous Next
  • carolcrc Pro 110 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 18, 2007 10:01 AM (in response to helen82)
    Re: favorite running song(s)?

Near the turn-around in Cleveland they were playing "I will Survive!"  Seemed appropriate!

• JustLance Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Jun 29, 2007 9:25 PM (in response to helen82)

I actually listen to audio books. I find the music distracts me in such a way that my pace gets messed up. Don't know why but music doesn't work for me. I have a large collection of audio books of all sorts. I run about 40 miles a week and listen to them more than half of the time.

• jules354 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Jun 30, 2007 1:08 PM (in response to helen82)

i love listening to house and techno. anything with a really crass beat. but sometimes i like running without headphones, too. when we neared the finish of the philly 10-mile they were playing the theme from rocky and i got choked up. what a sucker!

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. Jun 30, 2007 8:24 PM (in response to helen82)

No music. Can't stand something stuck in my ear or the lack of awareness they bring. BUT.. I do have songs rolling thru that thick skull of mine. AC/DC, U2, generally anything fast or uplifting. Save the slow stuff for when I'm on the porch at the end of the day with a tall weiss beer....

• bdittemer Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. Jun 30, 2007 8:43 PM (in response to helen82)

I like to put my i-Pod on shuffle when I run alone and listen to a lot of Jimmy Buffett and Neil Young. Here's something new to try "Asa Branca" featuring David Byrne by Forro In The Dark from their album "Bonfires of Sao Poao" , check it out in I-Tunes world music. It's Brazilian in English and Portugese with a great running beat, it will get your heart pumping.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. Jul 2, 2007 7:36 AM (in response to helen82)

I'm on pace with beerpace. I tried running with an iPod - music and NPR - but after two or three minutes, I yanked the ear things out and felt much better.  I like the sound of my own breathing and footsteps and what's going on around me. I see so many people, walkers and runners, with their heads plugged into some other world. It's a new society. I can't do it for some reason.

• kota70 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Jul 2, 2007 5:00 PM (in response to helen82)

I like: 

Natasha Bedingfield- Unwritten

Gwen Stephani- Hollaback Girl

KT Tunstall- Blackhorse and the Cherry Tree

Melissa Ethridge- I Run for Life

But then I also like

David Bowie- Golden Years

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Sweet Home Alabama

Grand Funk Railroad- We're An American Band

Whitesnake- Here I Go Again

• smo5246 Legend 204 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    22. Jul 2, 2007 5:07 PM (in response to helen82)

I'm with Yo-sal and Beer Pace.  You're my kind of runner.  Your ears are for protection.  Not that I don't like music.  I have a 10 speaker infinity system in my minivan.  Today I listened to Madonna (Ray of Light).  Tomorrow, the Rolling Stones Beggar's Banquet CD. Next will be Coldplay's Rush of Blood and an Acustic CD.

Jul 9, 2007
    23. Jul 3, 2007 4:43 AM (in response to helen82)

If runners ever had any money on them , the ones with headphones would be great targets. I could use a new pair of shoes.. maybe I'll tackle the next guy with nice shoes and an ipod...he'll never hear me coming. I'll let him keep the ipod, though.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    24. Jul 3, 2007 6:35 AM (in response to helen82)

go for the ones with the zombie look. It's a "dead" giveaway that they won't even notice that their money's gone.

• Cmitre Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    25. Jul 5, 2007 4:36 PM (in response to helen82)

Golddigger...*sp

When you were young ...the killers

• trevnn Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    26. Jul 6, 2007 5:35 AM (in response to helen82)
    Re: favorite running song(s)? - You'll love this

After watching one of my favorite movies (Friday Night Lights) for the hundredth time, I noticed how inspiring and motivating the music is. And I finally found out where that music came from - an instrumental band from Texas named "Explosions in the Sky". Check them out - beautiful music to run to. No lyrics, but it definitely makes me feel good.

• JeffBaran Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    27. Jul 6, 2007 6:28 AM (in response to helen82)

With 2 and 1/2 hours of classic, Roth era Van Halen loaded on the ipod any song is awesome.

• Hkiedrowski Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    28. Jul 6, 2007 11:38 AM (in response to helen82)

Life is a Highway - Rascal Flatts

ABC - Jackson 5

Welcome to the Jungle - Guns-n-Roses

Thank God I'm a Country Boy - John Denver

Cool topic - thanks!

Jul 9, 2007
    29. Jul 6, 2007 2:14 PM (in response to helen82)

Pompano Beach,FL (7/6/07) a jogger was hit by a choo choo train while plugged into her iPod. Both legs severed. Must of been some good music to drown out a train.Your head should be on a swivel at all times, especially while listening to toons...

1 2 3 4 ... 29 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...