Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

153303 Views 423 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2010 7:57 AM by LemonaidLucy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29 Previous Next
  • jpijloo Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 12, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Aug 15, 2008 8:26 AM (in response to helen82)
    Re: favorite running song(s)?

I'm ammending my earlier response:

I've found that Deep Purple's two live CD's (Made in Japan & Made in Europe); along with Live Humble Pie (Rockin' The Filmore); and not but not least - The Police (Live at Budokan) to be inspirational music that's always on my iPod when taking my long runs (15+ miles).

Shorter runs that are meant to be easier (my wife's a 5K runner progressing to her first 10K in November) I tend to listen to (GASP) Spice Girls, Sade, En Vogue, or Beyonce.....at a low volume to keep up our conversations.

chuckle

Jim

• Rock N Run Amateur 6 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    151. Aug 15, 2008 9:17 AM (in response to helen82)

I have a running Cd that features 18 rock running songs. I own the license to these songs. These songs are very motivational and inspiring. Some songs include Runner; I ran; I run for LIfe; Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner. You can own this Cd for only $10.00 plus S&H. My website is www.rocknrun.us

• Spartan-Blood Rookie 1 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    152. Aug 16, 2008 1:21 PM (in response to helen82)

I like to run with Nelly Furtado, from "Loose"  and Bluegrass, Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder in particular.

Aug 15, 2008
    153. Aug 16, 2008 3:32 PM (in response to helen82)

lol thats cool. I havent heard of those songs! I created the cd so people dont have to search for the songs and download them. Its already been done for you!

• sellersmj Amateur 15 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    154. Aug 17, 2008 8:35 AM (in response to helen82)

Pump-It by black eye peas and to get up the tough hills Beaufort People by Marylin Manson.

• saywhatiwant Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 17, 2008
    155. Aug 17, 2008 11:59 AM (in response to eugenecub)

I agree completely, in terms of running without music.  Except during brutal winter days, I always run out doors on sidewalks, interspersed with street crossings, and I need to be able to hear what is going on with the traffic.  I know of a runner in town who runs on the streets, not the sidewalks, in the direction of the traffic, and he wears large headphones, meaning he can neither see nor hear the cars that are coming within a foot of him.  I cannot believe how, well, dumb he is, as anyone who hits him will likely kill him, as he is running on main roads versus side streets.  Even Runner's World magazine implored people to not listen to music while we run, along with not running on a street in the same direction as the traffic, and what they state makes perfect sense.  If someone hits you, yeah, they may go to jail, but they will get out eventually, and you'll be dead.  Which would you prefer?

• medic1226 Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 2, 2008
    156. Aug 17, 2008 3:35 PM (in response to helen82)

Here is a very condensed version of my playlist. everything from 80s music to metal. I certainly enjoy a variety

Let The Bodies Hit the Floor-Drowning Pool

Click Click Boom- Saliva

Heavy- Collective Soul

Thunderstruck-ACDC

Redefine- Soil

Better Than You- Metallica

Tainted Love (Techno Version) -Soft Cell

I Ran- Flock of Seagulls

All Shook Up- Elvis P

Shake That- Eminem

Crazy B****-Buckcherry

Young ****- Pink Floyd

Holding Out for a Hero- Bonnie Tyler

Sweetest Girl- Wyclef

Plush- Stone Temple Pilots

Baby I'm a Star- Prince

Fighter- Christina Aguilera

Every Little Thing She Does- The Police

When the world says give up, Hope whispers "try it one more time"
    Aug 15, 2008
    157. Aug 17, 2008 7:15 PM (in response to helen82)

As far as running with music, yes you have to be careful I agree. You need to follow the safety rules of the road like run against traffic, run with someone, run with reflective clothing at night, etc. I think if you are running in a safe place like on the track, trails, or whatever, running with music in definately a motivating experience. Everyone has their own running song list that they like. On the list, "I Ran is on my Rock "N" Cd, I always felt someone should put a compilation of running songs together and after 20 years of work, I was finally able to get the rights to the songs. I love to put the cd into my car and listen to it before I do a training run or race to get psyched up. I teach Elementary Pe and I set up a Rock "N" Run Recess walk/run program and play the cd to motivate the runners, I give them out as prizes when I do a fun run at the end. I also play it in class where students run to "guitar hero" where I have one kids pretend to play the guitar in the center of the gym. I have sold some at race and runners like the idea. Some dowload it to their ipod. There are some great running songs on it! Keep feeding me with your running songs and I will try and put them on Volume2. If you would like to order please visit my website: www.rocknrun.us  Keep up the running!

• RunningTexan Rookie 11 posts since
    Jun 27, 2002
    158. Aug 22, 2008 7:44 AM (in response to helen82)

Til I Collapse - Eminem

Lose Yourself - Eminem

Rollin' (Ballad of Big & Rich) - Big & Rich and Cowboy Troy

Heart of A Champion - Nelly

• runningsexy Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008
    159. Aug 23, 2008 1:35 PM (in response to helen82)

i need hip hop crazy bouncy songs to run.  running is like bouncing to a beat to me.  therefore, i need chris brown, brittany spears, neyo and rhianna and usher.

• Gatorfirechick Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 19, 2008
    160. Aug 23, 2008 2:18 PM (in response to mwood66)

"Shake It" by Metro Station.  It has a great beat.  I have it about 5 or 6 songs into my playlist (about the half hour mark)  It gives me the boost to pick my speed up.  Nike+ has a website that you can download running playlists to iTunes for about the price of a CD.  Also, Self magazine has a great section on thier website with Olympic athletes' playlists.  I found 5 or 6 new songs to add to my playlist.

Happy listening and happy running!

K.

• JustLance Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    161. Aug 23, 2008 9:05 PM (in response to helen82)

I don't have any I can't live without but right now I am listening to Five Finger Death Punch, they are a little hard for some people but so is running 26.2 miles for fun. I also have Seether, Disturbed, Korn, Linkin Park, Finger Eleven, Apocalyptica, Evanescence, Old Metallica, to name a few, and a bunch of Military running cadences as well. Oh, sometimes I just listen to audio books on long slow runs.

• Dani-X Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    162. Aug 23, 2008 11:15 PM (in response to helen82)

Just about anything by Slipknot keeps me super pumped, also several of  Marilyn Manson's or Nine Inch Nails'  faster songs. Also System of a Down !

• mt.p.scfirefighter Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008
    163. Sep 4, 2008 9:46 PM (in response to helen82)

I start out with AC/DC Thunderstruck....Followed by (AC/DC) Jail break.... Then get crazy About 14 songs later and throw in Happy working song...its off the Disney soundtrack from the movie Enchanted... It makes my smile midway through my long run... (I have a daughter and we have watched that movie a million times together...)Then end the run with Eminem lose yourself. Of course Springsteens born to run is also in there..

• Quigleykat Amateur 7 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    164. Sep 6, 2008 5:40 PM (in response to helen82)

• the hammer- Cypress Hill

Alive - P.O.D.

She Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd

Killing in the Name - Rage against the Machine

Down - Fuel

Rollin' - Limp Bizkit

if its loud and fast, I dont care if its rap or metal , I listen to Eminem  or Ministry, Buckcherry or greenday.  I cannot immagine running well without the music.

I have a Zune with 3500 songs on it for training, and I use an IPOD NANO for events.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...