Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4575 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2007 11:43 AM by Guest RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
jkv135 Amateur 143 posts since
Oct 11, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2007 8:41 AM

Where is the love?

Hi everyone,

Seems this new little thread has made some ripples in the CR pond.  If you are not an Athena or Clydsdale, I understand this may be weird to you.  We get that you may not get that we can race a different division if we want to- even though a lot of us are in the age groups right next to you.  But give us a little credit - we are trying our best to live a healthy lifestyle, exercise and run.  It is not easy for us.  Some of us have lost more weight than some of you weigh dripping wet.  We are just trying to be supportive of each other, and not be 'off topic' in other forums.  I guess what I am trying to say is - if you can't be nice, supportive or helpful, just leave us to our own conversations about running issues we have, clothes, body glide or whatever.  Thanks.

  • fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
    Aug 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 30, 2007 8:43 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    Where's the love and where's the joy?

  • jcumming Amateur 704 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    2. Jan 30, 2007 8:50 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    Hopefully in this forum people will get left alone while not totally discounting reasonable debate and legitimate questions.

    Over in Clubhouse it's a different world and that's what I love about it, but what happens in Clubhouse should stay in Clubhouse. 

  • rootsrunner Rookie 236 posts since
    Jun 28, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    3. Jan 30, 2007 9:04 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    Good luck with this forum.

    FWIW, a similar wave of response occurred initially when the "Jeff Galloway" forum started up. After the first few weeks of banter and naysaying by a few, I haven't heard much out of that group. The fact that its still going is a positive sign for the C/A people.

    I met a talented and well trained "Clydesdale" athlete after the Boston Marathon who ran 2:56. He worked at his running and the results show. 6' 3" and 225lbs. He was once 280 lbs.

    Being a Clydesdale, Athena, or a overweight runner AND a fast runner is not necessarily mutually exclusive. For sure, achieving personal records regardless of your weight, is an exhillarating feeling.

    Best of luck defining your niche within the CR community.

  • sue088 Rookie 263 posts since
    Aug 9, 1998
    Currently Being Moderated
    4. Jan 30, 2007 9:45 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    quote:


    Originally posted by rootsrunner:

    Good luck with this forum.

    FWIW, a similar wave of response occurred initially when the "Jeff Galloway" forum started up. After the first few weeks of banter and naysaying by a few, I haven't heard much out of that group. The fact that its still going is a positive sign for the C/A people.

    I met a talented and well trained "Clydesdale" athlete after the Boston Marathon who ran 2:56. He worked at his running and the results show. 6' 3" and 225lbs. He was once 280 lbs.

    Being a Clydesdale, Athena, or a overweight runner AND a fast runner is not necessarily mutually exclusive. For sure, achieving personal records regardless of your weight, is an exhillarating feeling.

    Best of luck defining your niche within the CR community.



     



    well, I know a clydesdale guy that runs 2:45 and he is already a coolrunner. I think anytime a forum chooses a new moderator, they should fill the shoes better. I really think someone suggesting a new forum and then suggesting themselves as a moderator, doesn't cut it.

      Moderating really has nothing do with one's running ability, but I think to earn credibility as a new forum, the moderator "should" be a great fit.   There are a few runners that actually win hardware in A&C divisions that frequent other areas of CR that have alot of knowledge that goes beyond "newbie".   How about a co-moderator that can "run the run"?

  • kristine25 Amateur 530 posts since
    Aug 17, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    5. Jan 30, 2007 9:47 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    I totally stay away from CH.  Just not my cup of tea.  I want to say they are all crazy there but I just stay away.  If you spend 5 minutes reading some of their posts, you won't take anything they say seriously.

  • Wet Willie Rookie 8 posts since
    Jul 25, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    6. Jan 30, 2007 9:55 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    Here's your icon. He weighs 200 pounds at 6' 4" and recently ran a 2:40 marathon.


    You're confused, Kristine. Most of the people in the Clubhouse aren't crazy, they're morons. If you want to see crazy, picture a forum where it seems like a good idea to have a moderator who has been running one month, takes an hour to complete a 5K, and thinks his labels apply to people like homeboy pictured right here. Now THAT would be NUTZ!!!!!

  • Voodoojunkie Amateur 64 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    7. Jan 30, 2007 10:03 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    quote:


    Originally posted by sue:

    well, I know a clydesdale guy that runs 2:45 and he is already a coolrunner. I think anytime a forum chooses a new moderator, they should fill the shoes better. I really think someone suggesting a new forum and then suggesting themselves as a moderator, doesn't cut it.

    Moderating really has nothing do with one's running ability, but I think to earn credibility as a new forum, the moderator "should" be a great fit. There are a few runners that actually win hardware in A&C divisions that frequent other areas of CR that have alot of knowledge that goes beyond "newbie". How about a co-moderator that can "run the run"?


     



    There was a request for moderators for this forum open to anyone who wanted. No one chose the moderator.

    You showed your true, ugly feelings with your comments in the CH and I suggest you keep them there with the rest of the negativity that makes up that jackassery of a forum.

  • sue088 Rookie 263 posts since
    Aug 9, 1998
    Currently Being Moderated
    8. Jan 30, 2007 10:50 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    quote:


    Originally posted by Voodoojunkie:

    There was a request for moderators for this forum open to anyone who wanted. No one chose the moderator.

    You showed your true, ugly feelings with your comments in the CH and I suggest you keep them there with the rest of the negativity that makes up that jackassery of a forum.


     



    who the heck reads "suggestions"?? The CH is for fun and I thought my comment was just that. I guess it's okay for you bigger runners to suggest that thin runners are thin because we stick our fingers down our throat. But my comment is negative??? Sorry, but if your bodyfat is over 30%, your "are" fat. I guess I could say "bigger" and gloss it over. But I have trouble with that because I'm "bigger", when I line up in a race I'm "bigger" that those 100# ladies I toe the line with.

      You want to know what is ugly, calling yourselves clydesdales when your are just an overweight people with one month of walking under you belt.   Some clydesdales do not want associate with that.  They've been running for years and have low bodyfat and they run 100% of their races.   So go ahead take the title "clydesdale/athena" and they'll won't come in here.  Who does that leave for this forum?  people that are overweight and trying to run to lose some weight.  Good luck.

  • RunMommaRun Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 24, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    9. Dec 27, 2007 8:59 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    Voodoo is wise. 

    Sue, why all the hostility? And why do you care so much?

    So what if someone is here and been walking for a month. At least they are walking.

    I'm here. I'm 5'8", 174 pounds, getting ready to run my first half marathon. I'm an Army veteran, mother of two, and 41 years old.

    When I run, it's about me, my body, and the road. Not the gazelle 19 year old running ahead of me.

    ----



    Laura, queen of all I survey

    [http://This message has been edited by RunMommaRun (edited Jan-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by RunMommaRun (edited Jan-30-2007).]

  • KaySeeBee719 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 18, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    10. Jan 30, 2007 11:05 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    Here's my $.02...
    I am a beginning runner. I have weight to lose. It is sometimes hard for me, even in the Newbies section, to read posts from people who may be new runners but are smaller than I will ever be. I thought this board would be a place where I (as someone who struggles with finding running clothes and is embarrassed to run in front of people at the gym) could ask questions specific to my needs and get feedback from those who could identify with me. And that veteran runners could have insight for those of us that are overweight and running to lose some weight.
    The ugliness I have seen on this board saddens me. It makes me less likely to ask some of the questions I have. And I think that was the purpose of the board...to create comfort and understanding.
    I hope all of this eases up...and that I come back.

  • banananutmuffin Rookie 56 posts since
    Jul 8, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    11. Jan 30, 2007 11:17 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    <-- 110 lb female

    And I think this forum is a great idea!  Many beginning runnersespecially those who tend to be a bit larger in statureare discouraged or even frightened at the prospect of running.  They think that because they don't have the lean body of a runner, that it's not an activity they'll ever enjoy or excel in.

    Well, this forum gives them a chance to realize that they're not alone.  That running isn't about size.  That anyoneof any weight, width or girthcan find joy and fitness in running.  That it's a sport accessible to almost everyone.

    I really think this particular section of Cool Running is doing a great service to people who feel discouraged, scared or hesitant.

    And it's also a great place for people who are a little larger to find support, since it's obvious that some runners prefer to put-down larger runners instead of encouraging them.

    ----



    In Pursuit Of Fitness[/URL" target="_blank">

    RefrigeratorRaid.com[/URL" target="_blank">

  • sue088 Rookie 263 posts since
    Aug 9, 1998
    Currently Being Moderated
    12. Jan 30, 2007 11:20 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    quote:


    Originally posted by RunMommaRun:

    Voodoo is wise.

    Sue, why all the hostility? And why do you care so much?

    So what if someone is here and been walking for a month. At least they are walking.

    I'm here. I'm 5'8", 174 pounds, getting ready to run my first half marathon. I'm an Army veteran, mother of two, and 41 years old.

    When I run, it's about me, my body, and the road. Not the gazelle 19 year old running ahead of me.


     



    I guess I shouldn't care, it's not my fight, you're right. I'm not even an athena, for me to run athena, I would be obese (and that would be according to medical standards, not being mean).

    I apologize if I come off as hostile. I just think this forum distances itself and it's not a good idea. What make you and I different is not our size, it's the mindset and experience. And I guess that's okay, I'll stay out. But I do know about chafing matters, I do know about feeling bigger than those around me. But that 19 year old gazelle, well after years of my trials and tribulations, she'll be "behind" me.

    But the mindset is "we are big, and it's okay" or you would have experienced runners in here, and if you are running your first half marathon, why aren't you in newbie getting advice? What exactly is your contribution? Again, congrats on doing what you are doing, but what makes you qualified to give advice as an Athena runner?

    Again, I apologize if this seems hostile, it is not meant to, I just don't understand the "fit".  But as stated by you, and I do back you up on this, "why do I even care"?

  • iainment Rookie 22 posts since
    Apr 1, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    13. Jan 30, 2007 11:23 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    quote:


    Originally posted by KaySeeBee719:

    Here's my $.02...<br />I am a beginning runner. I have weight to lose. It is sometimes hard for me, even in the Newbies section, to read posts from people who may be new runners but are smaller than I will ever be. I thought this board would be a place where I (as someone who struggles with finding running clothes and is embarrassed to run in front of people at the gym) could ask questions specific to my needs and get feedback from those who could identify with me. And that veteran runners could have insight for those of us that are overweight and running to lose some weight.<br />The ugliness I have seen on this board saddens me. It makes me less likely to ask some of the questions I have. And I think that was the purpose of the board...to create comfort and understanding.<br />I hope all of this eases up...and that I come back.




    but that is not Clydesdale or Athena stuff but starting stuff. I am a big runner, I run 10ks, half marathons, marathons and plan to do triathlons, I learnt all of the clothing stuff and how to deal with chafing a long time ago and feel that the newbie board is the right place for all of that.
    I also think you'll find that smaller people suffer from the same self consciousness at the start of their running career and you have more in common with them than you realise.
    Maybe the board name is wrong but I don't think this feels like a board for bigger experienced runners.
    Re: Where is the love?http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/confused.gif[/IMG]

  • Voodoojunkie Amateur 64 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    14. Jan 30, 2007 11:29 AM (in response to jkv135)
    Re: Where is the love?

    quote:


    Originally posted by sue:

    who the heck reads "suggestions"?? The CH is for fun and I thought my comment was just that. I guess it's okay for you bigger runners to suggest that thin runners are thin because we stick our fingers down our throat. But my comment is negative??? Sorry, but if your bodyfat is over 30%, your "are" fat. I guess I could say "bigger" and gloss it over. But I have trouble with that because I'm "bigger", when I line up in a race I'm "bigger" that those 100# ladies I toe the line with.

    You want to know what is ugly, calling yourselves clydesdales when your are just an overweight people with one month of walking under you belt. Some clydesdales do not want associate with that. They've been running for years and have low bodyfat and they run 100% of their races. So go ahead take the title "clydesdale/athena" and they'll won't come in here. Who does that leave for this forum? people that are overweight and trying to run to lose some weight. Good luck.


     



    At least your true feelings are coming out or being repeated, I guess.

    The fact of the matter is people over a certain weight qualify for the Athena or Clydesdale division. I've checked that box on more than one occassion.

    For the record, I'm about 17 percent body fat. I've been running for nearly three years and run seven marathons and one ultra. I've run a 1:50 half marathon, a sub-4-hour marathon and 49-minute 10ks, although by your standards I'm sure I'm slow.

    In CH fashion, you throw out the, "I guess it's ok for you bigger runners..." I haven't seen anywhere in here where people are bashing other runners. You're doing all the bashing here and in the CH for some unknown reason.

    I agree with you that there isn't a strong contigency of competitive A/C's in here. I've seen a couple posting and I don't include myself in that group. I do ok, but I'm not fast enough yet to be competitive.

    I would like to see more competitive discussion for my own selfish reasons. I'm not interested in diet threads or clothes threads or chaffing threads. I've either got those issues figured out or don't have some of those issues or don't really care, as in the case of diet.

    Perhaps more will show up to discuss competitive issues. This forum is only two days old. Maybe not and the forum will fail. Maybe it'll succeed and there will not be enough information for the likes of me and I will not venture in here after a while.

    But I will not bash the forum for what it is or what it is not just as I had nothing to say about the Galloway forum. But I've hung around the CH enough to know many people in there simply need something to b!tch and moan about daily to affirm their existance and make themselves feel better.

    And by what I've seen in the CH lately, this opportunity couldn't have come along at a better time.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...