Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2341 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2007 3:02 AM by RunnerSneeze RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2007 9:06 AM

Anyone here with knee problems?

I know that it is my weight but after every run my knees feel like my legs were used as a jackhammer.  Of course I run on sidewalks too which I don't know if that is the best thing either.

----

The Iron Clydesdale

Please Read my eBlog
Click Here[/URL" target="_blank">
Here is my Profile
Check out my Running Log

• juliemboyle Rookie 810 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    1. Jan 31, 2007 9:57 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Anyone here with knee problems?

Yes, I have had bad knees and I have to do the following:

Limit running to 3-4 days per week.
    Stretch, stretch, stretch after every run
    RICE RICE RICE if they are bothering me
    Do not increase more than 10% a week.

As you continue to lose more weight, they will feel better.

• juliemboyle Rookie 810 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    2. Jan 31, 2007 9:59 AM (in response to Guest )

One more thing I forgot......

Cross Train (there is no reason you can't do cardio 6 days/wk)

Strength Training for your legs...the stronger the muscles are that support your knees, the less stress there is on the knees........

• fatmantrying Amateur 42 posts since
    Oct 8, 2006
    3. Jan 31, 2007 10:09 AM (in response to Guest )

Yep, I agree with julie.  Get the muscles around the knee as strong as you can.  It takes time and you have to be patient to avoid injury, but it's something that can be improved upon.

----

www.fatmantrying.com[/URL" target="_blank">

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    4. Jan 31, 2007 10:11 AM (in response to Guest )

Where exactly is the pain?  Inside, outside - What type of pain - Intense, dull achy?  If I were you personal trainer - I would suggest getting much of your aerobic activity on an Eliptical machine at this stage of the game.  Not available?  Then I would say find some low impact ways to get excersise at least 3 days a week and only high impact jogging 3-4 times a week.

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    5. Jan 31, 2007 11:47 AM (in response to Guest )

I'm not a Dr., nor do I play one on TV. Ace knee wraps helped me out a lot. I put them on 1/2 an hour before I run and the pain is minimal. I've heard shoe play a role in managing knee pain. From what I understand, running on cement is hard on our bodies. I've mentioned my knee concerns at my last physical and told the Dr. I take ibuprofen and Glucosamine/Chondroitin. He seemed satisfied with that. Talk with your Dr. Don't play Dr.

----

Blessings along the journey, SteveP

• bobnascar Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 28, 2007
    7. Jan 31, 2007 11:57 AM (in response to Guest )

I have knee pain too. I guess they call it runners knee? I bought a knees brace and it really helps a lot. My problem is I started out running to loose weight and now I can't go far enough fast enough. I'm learning the hard way what they mean by only increase 10% per week, i'm living proof why not to go from 35 miles per week to 100 miles per week. I still go more than I should but I walk a lot too. It seams to not as much damage to my knee. So as it starts to feel better I run more, then as it starts to hurt more I take a few days off and let it recover. then start all over again. I thought in the beginning it was old age but I ruled that out, i'm only 45!!  lol

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    8. Jan 31, 2007 12:09 PM (in response to Guest )

Ice Ice Baby. If I were a skydiver and I paid an expert for instructions on how to jump out of perfectly good airplanes safely, I'd listen. My family Dr. is also a runner, I paid for his advice, yet I want to pick and choose what suits me best. He wants my chloesterol down and me to drop another 20 lbs.  I want to do that and eat a side of beef a day followed by some serious Ben & Jerry's. Listen to an expert you trust.

----

Blessings along the journey, SteveP

• mdmccat Expert 54 posts since
    Jul 6, 2005
    9. Jan 31, 2007 12:27 PM (in response to Guest )

I tore my mcl playing hockey about a year prior to my running career, I never had surgery and it didn't seem like it would ever heal to 100% but when I started running it firmed up and I felt that my knee was perfect after about 4 months. I haven't had any problems since, other than an accational soreness from a long run. I have to agree that low impact excercise is important on your off days and rest is SO important. Ice is key, and you can avoid the aches a bit by icing when you're not hurt. Also, it takes a lot of guts but I do swear by ice baths after long runs in the summer. It sounds crazy but it works and is worth the initial shock.

----

Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• Tamblyn Amateur 64 posts since
    May 25, 2004
    10. Jan 31, 2007 6:52 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by gripperm:

PCS told me to ice my knees every night if they hurt or not. I guess I am just not use to these Ideas.

Yes, I ice after every run whether I need it or not. I also take ibuprofen fairly regularly. The biggest thing I did though was to resolve my shoe issues. Once I matched my orthotics to the correct running shoe its all been much better. Did you get properly fitted? Or better yet have you gone to your Dr. for a referral to a podiatrist? You might be able to benefit from prescription orthotics too.

I've heard that elipticles are a good way to get a running like workout without the impact. It may help if you add that in to your workout until you lose some more weight.

Concrete is the absolutely worst surface you can run on from a hardness factor.  Try to maximize your running on groomed earth trails, artificial tracks or grass.  If you must run on pavement asphault is softer than concrete (seriously).

• coachburke14 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 31, 2006
    11. Jan 31, 2007 7:57 PM (in response to Guest )

I had patella tendonitis I started using glucosamine  about two years ago and its been better ever since.
    Burke

• biggerfoot Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 31, 2007
    12. Jan 31, 2007 8:00 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by coachburke14:

I had patella tendonitis I started using glucosamine about two years ago and its been better ever since.
    Burke

Is that MSM stuff?

• RCL043 Pro 180 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jan 31, 2007 9:03 PM (in response to Guest )

I have runner's knee in the left knee; arthritis in the right one. I do weight training on both, but have to be careful. I pack Advil on the long runs.

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jan 31, 2007 9:11 PM (in response to Guest )

Let's recap RICE for all curious:

R - rest. Meaning cross training and not running too much. At this point 3x/wk should be it dude. gives 1-2 days rest between.
    I - ICE. Daily if you are big, pretty much fact of life. Be nice to those joints
    C - Compression - ace bandages. Look like the walking wounded. It pushes the excess fluid out.
    E - Elevation - I double this with icing. Sitting still anyway...

Some other tips
    1. Ellipictal- great idea. Yes, most of the benes, none of the impact
    2. Concrete - ouch, worst. Asphalt is, amazingly, way better. Crushed rock paths better. Track best.
    3. Depending on "you" and your stomache - ibuprofen is an anti-imflamitory. So, it works like ice, but from the inside. Be very careful because for some people it can really bother your stomache (i.e. ulcers) if you do it too much. take w/ food. never BEFORE (or during) a workout.
    4. Massage - deep tissue massage helps keep muscles doing the right thing and not tugging on the wrong thing... costly, but speeds recovery bigtime. This ain't no foo foo massage - this is PAIN for an hour or two. Deep Tissue Massage hurts but it's amazingly effective.
    5. Active Recovery - day after a run, move your body doing something else. In short, it helps. I swim the day after long runs, always.

nuff for now

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...