Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2852 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2007 1:44 PM by Guest RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Tamblyn Amateur 64 posts since
May 25, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2007 2:46 PM

Moderating style comments/concern.

Gripperm, I was a bit disheartened to see the "where is the love thread" locked.  IMHO that thread was, except for a minor exception (and the poster was making a valid point), quite civilized and there was some good discussion going on.  I appreciate you are new to the moderating game and I can tell you're very excited by this new forum, but I would hope that you will endeavor in the future to take a more hands off approach to discussions.  I may have been desensitized by too much time in the CH, but I'm at a loss to figure out why you locked the thread that was probably getting the most hits and generating the most valid discussion in the forum.

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 31, 2007 2:57 PM (in response to Tamblyn)
    Re: Moderating style comments/concern.

May I dissent?

I don't really think that thread was going way off topic. And yes, I think one of the things going on is the entire group is trying to kind of pave a new path and "find it's own" but I think I agree it was kind of meandering.

In other forums, somethings those go on and on and on and on and in 20 other directions. Yeah, in CH (I lurk somethimes) in happens a lot, and that's fine because for their it is normal and accepted.

Most other places (I hang in multisport mostly) when there is a branching of thoughts, the posters split it into another post. Personally, I really prefer that as it makes it easier to decide which threads to go into and not. Does that make sense? Just seems more organized. Heck, I already waste enough time at work  Let's not add to it revisiting the same posts to see "what direction" they might have gone.

Anyway... just another point of view, YMMV

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

• swinefordlk Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 31, 2007 3:00 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

quote:

Originally posted by Tamblyn:

Gripperm, I was a bit disheartened to see the "where is the love thread" locked. IMHO that thread was, except for a minor exception (and the poster was making a valid point), quite civilized and there was some good discussion going on. I appreciate you are new to the moderating game and I can tell you're very excited by this new forum, but I would hope that you will endeavor in the future to take a more hands off approach to discussions. I may have been desensitized by too much time in the CH, but I'm at a loss to figure out why you locked the thread that was probably getting the most hits and generating the most valid discussion in the forum.

What I thought was bull was how he took a shot at antag in one of his posts.

Antag is nothing but a good guy, that has made great progress and had good points in the CH thread.  In my opinion, gripp didn't like antag's opinion, so then he comes in here and slams him.  Not very moderator-ish.

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Jan 31, 2007 3:18 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

quote:

Originally posted by Tamblyn:

Gripperm, I was a bit disheartened to see the "where is the love thread" locked. IMHO that thread was, except for a minor exception (and the poster was making a valid point), quite civilized and there was some good discussion going on. I appreciate you are new to the moderating game and I can tell you're very excited by this new forum, but I would hope that you will endeavor in the future to take a more hands off approach to discussions. I may have been desensitized by too much time in the CH, but I'm at a loss to figure out why you locked the thread that was probably getting the most hits and generating the most valid discussion in the forum.

I locked it because the thread was heading into a fre for all and I flet it had run its course. I understand that things are more free in the CH and if you have noticed I have stayed out of the CH and have been trying to concentrate on this forum. I am not new to being a board MOD just new as a MOD here. As I have said I own and run a message board so I understand how to mod. Will I make mistakes in the beginning here? Yes! Will all of the decisions I make please everyone? No! I am really trying to keep it calm in here and keep things on topic. I am sorry if you felt that I locked it too soon. I promise to keep topics open as long as they stay on topic and not spin out of control or become insulting to other members.

----

The Iron Clydesdale

Please Read my eBlog
    Click Here[/URL" target="_blank">
    Here is my Profile
    Check out my Running Log

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jan 31, 2007 3:18 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

quote:

Originally posted by swinefordlk:

What I thought was bull was how he took a shot at antag in one of his posts.

..... In my opinion, gripp didn't like antag's opinion, so then he comes in here and slams him. Not very moderator-ish

I agree it wasn't appropriate. But he's been a moderator for what, 3 days? But see below...

quote:

Originally posted by gripperm:

Today has been a clean slate for me as far as responding to the negative comments. I was the worst one because I felt like I was being personally attacked but I am no longer responding to those baits. However I am taking some of the suggestions in the one thread and seeing how they might work here..

looks like he acknowledges is errors, accepts responsibility, and is trying to change that. He's been a moderator 3 days remember and during that time has been attacked in Newbies, CH, and A/C. Hmmmm, don't think I blame him for popping his cork. Not that it is ok, nope, don't agree with bashing anyone even if they are begging for it. Not my style.

I personally like the warm and fuzzy forums. If I wanted fizzy, I'd go to CH. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Cheers. I really got to get back to work...

• peachtree003 Rookie 61 posts since
    Jul 23, 2004
    5. Jan 31, 2007 3:42 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

I'm glad you like warm and fuzzy, but there are some seasoned CR's that like to participate across the forums.

You're going to get some snark in here.  People will want to come in here and voice their opinions - just the idea of C/A gets people hot and riled up...a forum dedicated to it will invite a lot of discussion.  Some of it will be nice, some of it will be supportive; and some of it will be downright nasty.  Don't worry, you'll learn to laugh about it.  

• swinefordlk Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jan 31, 2007 3:51 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

quote:

Originally posted by pcsronbo:

Looks like he acknowledges is errors, accepts responsibility, and is trying to change that. He's been a moderator 3 days remember and during that time has been attacked in Newbies, CH, and A/C. Hmmmm, don't think I blame him for popping his cork. Not that it is ok, nope, don't agree with bashing anyone even if they are begging for it. Not my style.

I personally like the warm and fuzzy forums. If I wanted fizzy, I'd go to CH. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Cheers. I really got to get back to work...

I'm all for warm and fuzzy, too, but he really didn't accept anything. What I find laughable is this quote of his :"+I promise to keep topics open as long as they stay on topic and not spin out of control or become insulting to other members. +"

Although, true to his word, he slung an insult at tag (unprovoked) and then locked the thread.

And as he's stated about fifty bazillion times, he's not new to moderating, he's got his own site and everything, so I would think he would know better.

Now that being said, and I say this sincerely, good luck with the forum. I hope it finds it's niche, whatever it may be, and that it's successful in helping runners.

Lincoln

• JimR022 Rookie 984 posts since
    Jan 16, 2002
    7. Jan 31, 2007 4:08 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

Gripper...do us all a favor and knock it off with the insults...

"you know of the issues I have had at Cool Running. This place is a great board and I would not of got started in my running program without them but after suggesting a new section I was berated by some male members who must suffer from Alexithymia and some of the woman were very rude as well. In fact they made me sink to their ways and low level and it just showed me that no matter how far we have come as a human race some people give reason that we need more chlorine in the gene pool.

Anyhow I have decided to do what I did with grip and that is start my own board. It is called <omitted> and I will be working on it this week to get it set up. It will be more of what I wanted the forum that I requested to be but more. So stay tuned and hopefully you will join."

Take that friggen big chip off your shoulder for a minute and just maybe it'll help things.  But if you're deciding to go start your own running forum, I suggest you do as wet willie suggested, drop your services here and someone else can pick it up.

• Mort82090 Rookie 83 posts since
    Aug 9, 2006
    9. Jan 31, 2007 4:26 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

I thought a locked thread meant it was in violation of the Rules[/URL" target="_blank">. Just a thought, maybe the Mods should have to follow those as well.

10. Jan 31, 2007 4:45 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

quote:

Originally posted by JimR:

Gripper...do us all a favor and knock it off with the insults...

"you know of the issues I have had at Cool Running. This place is a great board and I would not of got started in my running program without them but after suggesting a new section I was berated by some male members who must suffer from Alexithymia and some of the woman were very rude as well. In fact they made me sink to their ways and low level and it just showed me that no matter how far we have come as a human race some people give reason that we need more chlorine in the gene pool.

Anyhow I have decided to do what I did with grip and that is start my own board. It is called <omitted> and I will be working on it this week to get it set up. It will be more of what I wanted the forum that I requested to be but more. So stay tuned and hopefully you will join."

Take that friggen big chip off your shoulder for a minute and just maybe it'll help things.  But if you're deciding to go start your own running forum, I suggest you do as wet willie suggested, drop your services here and someone else can pick it up.

That post was not anywhere on the CR board so that has nothing to do with how I handle what I say here.

----

The Iron Clydesdale

Please Read my eBlog
    Here is my Profile
    Check out my Running Log

11. Jan 31, 2007 4:50 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

I locked the thread because as I said it was going downhill PLUS I had revealed some emails asking that it be locked or deleted. I did not want it to turn into a CH style thread but it seems that no matter what someone will come here and say that black is blue and blue is black.  I made the decision to lock it and I stand by it.  Either accept it or keep posting about it and my mod skills but take time to ask yourself is it that a thread was locked or that I locked the thread?  I will and can not make everyone happy so either a couple of things will happen.  I can step down as a mod, Kevin can remove me as a Mod, or some of you will just have to learn and accept the decision I made.

----

The Iron Clydesdale

Please Read my eBlog
    Here is my Profile
    Check out my Running Log

• Stevie Ray Lopez Pro 500 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    12. Jan 31, 2007 4:59 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

Take the constructive criticism.  Ultimately ignore it or act on.  Your call.  You took a big risk (that's a good thing) by attempting to start this area.  Part of owning that risk is navigating through this month.

EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE OK.

And trust me, you weren't here for this so trust me... this area has had it pretty darned easy compared to Galloway. You have real topics in here and people discussing stuff. That's great!

quote:

That post was not anywhere on the CR board so that has nothing to do with how I handle what I say here.

You have a right to say what you want, especially in your own space. That said:

1. If you name Cool Running, then you should expect there to be a little bit of crossover. If you take a crap on Cool Running or the inhabitants of Cool Running, you should expect it to get noticed by said inhabitants.

2. If this is your approach (compartmentalizing commentary), then that's fine. So let's extend it in here. In the locked thread, you called out antagonist77 because of something he said. Except that he didn't say a peep here. That was elsewhere.

In real life, Anty (Tim) is a nice guy. In real life, I'm sure you are a nice guy.

It's gonna be ok.

• JimR022 Rookie 984 posts since
    Jan 16, 2002
    13. Jan 31, 2007 5:05 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

quote:

Originally posted by gripperm:

But you have no problem linking to it in your signature line.

14. Jan 31, 2007 5:07 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

quote:

Originally posted by srlopez:

Take the constructive criticism. Ultimately ignore it or act on. Your call. You took a big risk (that's a good thing) by attempting to start this area. Part of owning that risk is navigating through this month.

EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE OK.

And trust me, you weren't here for this so trust me... this area has had it pretty darned easy compared to Galloway. You have real topics in here and people discussing stuff. That's great! bq. That post was not anywhere on the CR board so that has nothing to do with how I handle what I say here.

You have a right to say what you want, especially in your own space. That said:

1. If you name Cool Running, then you should expect there to be a little bit of crossover. If you take a crap on Cool Running or the inhabitants of Cool Running, you should expect it to get noticed by said inhabitants.

2. If this is your approach (compartmentalizing commentary), then that's fine. So let's extend it in here. In the locked thread, you called out antagonist77 because of something he said. Except that he didn't say a peep here. That was elsewhere.

In real life, Anty (Tim) is a nice guy. In real life, I'm sure you are a nice guy.

It's gonna be ok.

I agree with number 1 and I have asked Anty to be a part of this forum. Yes we did get heated at the CH but I left there and I do not want to stir the pot anymore. The odd thing is that I locked the thread to stop controversy and it just caused more. And when I took the suggestion from the CH that the name of the section was wrong I tried to change it but when I was denied i was mocked for trying to change the name. I am sure that Anty is a great person and I am sorry if I offended him or anyone else. I am really just trying not to rock the boat anymore. I promised that today would be a clean slate and I would do my best for this forum and that is what I plan to do.

----

The Iron Clydesdale

Please Read my eBlog
    Here is my Profile
    Check out my Running Log

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...