Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2211 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2007 5:10 PM by picchk RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Francesca24 Expert 124 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 5, 2007 10:47 AM (in response to Tamblyn)
    Re: If you hit your goal weight.....

my "goal weight" is 140ish and i'm not really sure how attainable that is...so i'm pretty sure i'll always be an athena.

• Debbatx Rookie 8 posts since
    Mar 9, 2003
    16. Feb 5, 2007 1:18 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

Yep - given that I'm 5' 7"ish and my goal weight is 140 (or 145, if 140 proves to be too hard to maintain), I will always be an Athena.

• coachburke14 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 31, 2006
    17. Feb 5, 2007 1:31 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

My goal weight is 180, so no I would not be a Clydesdale. But that being said I haven’t been 180 since I played football in college. I’m 220 now and looking to get under 200 by June, so I guess it depends on the race.
    Burke

• MomOf2Divas Rookie 9 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Feb 9, 2007 10:53 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

My goal weight is 140-145 (currently 170), so I will always be an Athena, and damn proud of it, too.   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Amy

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    19. Feb 10, 2007 7:07 AM (in response to Tamblyn)

Fox Trot...Most of us have an idea of how we'd like to look or, as in my case, what our Dr. tells us is a healthy weight for us. If you're comfortable where you're at...YaaHoooOO! Though you may still have ideas as how to maintain.

----

Blessings along the journey, SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Feb 13, 2007 7:40 AM (in response to Tamblyn)

I would be 205-215 so yup

• kkindness Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Feb 13, 2007 9:18 AM (in response to Tamblyn)

No, I wouldn't be. I'm 141 now, so I'm an Athena in a lot of races, all of them around here. But my goal weight is 133-136 (I'm tall5'10 but I have a very small frame) so I won't be an athena when I hit it.<br /><br />Foxtrotyou don't need a goal weight, it's just something to aim for if you're losing weight. Some people need to see that concrete number to shoot for.

Kristine--you'd fit in just about any Athena category. Most for women are 140 or 150. Men are around 200. Nothing wrong with being an Athena or opting out of that category. It still cracks me up that a 140 pound woman (which is lighter then the average american woman) is considered a larger runner...especially for taller women.

Merigayle...I feel the same way. I am heavier then in college, but I'm a 4 now, and I was an 8 then....sometimes it's still hard to look at the scale and be heavier, even if I am thinner ...even if the weight is muscle 

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    22. Feb 13, 2007 9:08 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

Nope, I would not be. Goal weight is 125 -130.

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    23. Feb 14, 2007 8:32 AM (in response to Tamblyn)

No..... I'd no longer be a Clydesdale.......

Dream weight....... 150
    Goal weight........ 175

• Addygrl Rookie 134 posts since
    Nov 7, 2004
    24. Feb 16, 2007 11:53 AM (in response to Tamblyn)

For most races I would. My goal (at least for now) is 140-145. (I'm 157 right now) I'm 5'8'' and a large build so I feel that, especially with all the muscle I've gained, getting below that would be hard. I got to 130 in high school (on ww) but I wasn't eating enough and really wasn't healthy at that weight, and apparently looked too thin.

145 would be great  I'm okay with sticking w/ the Athena category!

Addy

• henriness1 Rookie 14 posts since
    Dec 29, 2006
    25. Feb 17, 2007 12:21 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

It depends on who's goal we are talking about.  On the BMI chart, for a person who is 5'11" tall, the goal weight is between 155-188lbs-it does not factor in age, body type, etc.  I have not weighed 188lbs.  since high school.  I now weigh 245lbs and would be happy to get down to 220lbs but the ultimate goal would be 200lbs.  I am mostly torso with large shoulders and arms, so I don't think the BMI goal is realistic for me.
    But as far as my personal goal goes, I guess it stands to reason that if I can get down to 200lbs, then I can probably lose an extra pound or two after that which would no longer make me a Clydesdale.
    But one interesting thing to note is that at my heaviest, I was about 272lbs-YIKES!  My triglycerides were in the 500's and my HDL was about 30.  Since losing that weight, I have cut my triglycerides in half (I still have a bit to go) and my HDL is up to 36.  I believe goal for HDL is at or above 40.

• RCL043 Pro 180 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Feb 19, 2007 1:12 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

Oh yeah. I'm in this category because of my height, although the government says I'm 3-4 pounds overweight.  Last year I did a two week mission trip in Alaska, which translated into some rigorous manual work -- something I wasn't accustomed to.  Consequently, I only managed maybe 3 - 3 1/2 mile runs since I had to be at breakfast by 6:45, and was usually pretty beat by the end of the day. Anyway, we ate at a college cafeteria, and after a few days I said the heck with watching how much I ate. I'd go back for seconds many times, loaded up on oatmeal-raisin cookies on snack breaks, and often went out for ice cream in the evening. I figured my weight was going to hell in a hand basket, and I would have to address it when I got back and started into marathon training. As it turned out, I lost probably 8 pounds up there. I guess it was a combination of the hard work, and the fact that I probably had healthy foods, particularly fruits and/or vegetables, at every meal. Unfortunately, that weight is back. I guess my goal is to get down to 212-214 from 219-220 this year, once I start marathon training in the spring. I'm working out almost every day now, but have difficulty losing pounds this time of year when I cooped up inside most of the time, and thus am tempted way too often to snack.

• runningforfreedom Amateur 163 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Feb 22, 2007 12:54 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

I will always be "heavy"... I looked my best ten years ago at 165-170... that was with about 20% bodyfat, and before running... I was into weightlifting... now I lift very little, am about 20 lbs heavier... and would like to get back down to 170-175... that weight for me looks great... other girls are very over weight at that weight, but I carry a lot of muscle naturally,even when I don't lift at all.

----

myspace[/URL" target="_blank">

Work it harder, Make it better, Do it faster, Makes us stronger, Our work is never over...

• Tomasek Family Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Feb 23, 2007 5:31 PM (in response to Tamblyn)

Yep - I would still be an Athena.  I'm 5'10"  and even at my leanest (when I was playing college volleyball, 15 years ago, pre-kids) I weighed around 145-150 at 18% body fat.  Currently, I am at 165 and my goal is 155.  I think that is reasonable to maintain!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...