Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

987 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2007 8:31 PM by pcsronbo006 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2007 2:51 AM

Worst comment made to larger runners?

As a very large man I have had some many things said to me while out on my runs.  While they do sting at times and I try to brush them off they do hurt.  I would like to hear some of the things that people have said to anyone running that was detrimental to your morale so that we can use it and turn it around for encouragement.  Mine so far was a car passed me and some kids told me to "Run faster because the ice cream truck was going to get away"

----

"You can have a victory without winning"

Please Read my eBlog
Click Here[/URL" target="_blank">

• superburtm Rookie 140 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 27, 2007 9:09 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Worst comment made to larger runners?

I tend to like to run without a shirt.. even when I first started and was in crap shape...anyhoo somebody yelled out of a passing car "put a shirt on!"
    I still run with no shirt.

[http://This message has been edited by superburtm (edited Feb-11-2007).|http://This message has been edited by superburtm (edited Feb-11-2007).]

• RunMommaRun Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 24, 2005
    2. Feb 11, 2007 12:39 PM (in response to Guest )

No one has the right to make you feel like crap.

And certainly no one who sitting on their rear ends in a car instead of trying to keep up with me has any right to say peep about my running.

Kiss my flabby butt, people.

----

Laura, queen of all I survey

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Feb 11, 2007 1:28 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by RunMommaRun:

No one has the right to make you feel like crap.

They can only make you feel like you crap if you allow it.

I've had a few comments, but not many. Hey fatty was one during a race, that was nice.. from a car of course.

But my fav was when someone said "good job" (not nice, kind of snotty really) while I was walking a part of an 8k due to leg cramp. Well, so when I passed him later I told them "good job" too. That was fun!  I beat them by 3min.

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

• Itchy Brother Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    4. Feb 11, 2007 1:38 PM (in response to Guest )

Good read, sure glad you were able to stay ahead of that person after you passed'um, yeehaa!
    Itchy
    200 #s needing to get to 185 somehow - gulp.

quote:

Originally posted by pcsronbo:

I've had a few comments, but not many. Hey fatty was one during a race, that was nice.. from a car of course.

But my fav was when someone said "good job" (not nice, kind of snotty really) while I was walking a part of an 8k due to leg cramp. Well, so when I passed him later I told them "good job" too. That was fun!   I beat them by 3min.

• RunMommaRun Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 24, 2005
    5. Feb 11, 2007 4:27 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Um, no. We're not all able to function like that. While we can sometimes decide something isn't worth it, there are situations where it just bites into one's self-esteem.

I lay that at the feet of the culprit. Doesn't make me defective.

----

Laura, queen of all I survey

• my6angels Rookie 15 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Feb 11, 2007 8:10 PM (in response to Guest )

That story of passing the person who had condescendingly told you "good job"  reminds me of an incident a few years ago in which I had made some comment about running and one of my students on the swim team informed me right then and there that I didn't 'look like a runner." OUCH. That summer I happened to see her name on the roster for our local triathlon and will never forget the look on her face when I showed up at the race--especially when I waved to her as she crossed the finish line way after me. Hee, hee hee Turns out she is a great swimmer but ironically, not much of a runner. Sweet!.

• Abaker1961 Expert 70 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    7. Feb 11, 2007 9:22 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

But my fav was when someone said "good job" (not nice, kind of snotty really) while I was walking a part of an 8k due to leg cramp. Well, so when I passed him later I told them "good job" too. That was fun!   I beat them by 3min.

Good one!

• TomMurphy Rookie 8 posts since
    Feb 11, 2007
    8. Feb 11, 2007 9:32 PM (in response to Guest )

I think your best bet is to hold on to that remark, and remember it when you feel like skipping your next workout. Don't ever let some moron get to you, and one day you'll make them eat their words.

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Feb 11, 2007 10:41 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by RunMommaRun:

Um, no. We're not all able to function like that.
    Doesn't make me defective.

certainly not defective. Not intended as such fo sho.

I have a strong self-center, so it's "easy for me to say it". I acknowledge that.

But I think that it is important that EVERYONE not ACCEPT it. Even if it stings, it hurts, it even if it even rings true to you - that doesn't mean it has to be that way forever.

I'd just suggest that you try hard not to allow it to negatively affect you or your motivation - because honestly, there is no reason for that. Some people use it as a torch to motivate them, others let it slide off, etc.

The very fact you are trying makes you better than 99% of the planet, and that's not some trivial thing. You cannot forget that positive when some mean spirited jerk decides to belittle you.

Anyway, that's my 2cents.

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

• jkv135 Amateur 143 posts since
    Oct 11, 2005
    10. Feb 19, 2007 9:33 AM (in response to Guest )

Someone once asked me why I was running pregnant.  I wasn't.  I actually had the guts to tell her - no I am not pregnant, the baby is at home with Dad  and I am here to try to get rid of this!  She was mortified.  I was proud of myself.  Karma kinda works that way sometimes.

• GreenEggsAndHam Expert 312 posts since
    Jun 4, 2006
    11. Feb 19, 2007 9:47 AM (in response to Guest )

Some young teen boys moo'ed at me once as I ran past. 

And ran away as I turned around.

Running away from a girl. What pi$$ants.

• Arktoi Rookie 7 posts since
    May 11, 2004
    12. Feb 19, 2007 9:52 AM (in response to Guest )

I think my all-time "favorite" was, "You're fat, but you got big t*ts." Yeah. That's class right there, folks. (By the way, I was in ROTC at the time and at my lowest adult weight ever. I just happened to be wearing a baggy, oversized sweatshirt. People are idiots.)

----

"When you move like a jellyfish, rhythm don't mean nothing. You go with the flow, you don't stop." - Jack Johnson

• kkindness Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Feb 19, 2007 10:10 AM (in response to Guest )

pcsronbo: I could not agree with you more!!

No one can make you feel bad without your consentEleanor Roosevelt was a very smart lady. Sounds like it would only work in a perfect world, but anyone can live like that. Making excuses about why you react a certain way places all the blame on others...it also gives them total control and gives yourself permission to never change, adapt or grow stronger. <br /><br />It's not easy...and before everyone tells me how "easy" it is for me to say that....I wasn't blessed with strong self esteemmine came slowly and after hard work after getting out of an abusive relationship.

People suck, they're going to be mean, they're going to say hurtful things.... at the risk of sounding meanthat's life, get over it. I can hand out advice because I learned from life. I heard from my ex that I was stupid, fat, ugly, lazy, etc. It hurt, and I let it eat away at my self esteembecause I feared it was true and because I was weak....then I realized...I'm running, I'm thin, I've got 2 bachelors degrees, my law degree, I speak 3 languages and I work....and realized as long as I let him get to me, as long as I kept dwelling on the bad things that were said...he won and I would never be strong. It wasn't easy and it wasn't fun, and some days its harder then others to maintain my strong sense of self....but it is much easier then having a thin skin and taking whatever people say and filing it away to be dwelled on.

The reason most of what is said affects us so much is often because we believe it (though most won't admit to that)--either because its true or because we are weaker in the self-worth area then others. Out of everything that has been said to me...the things I took the most offense to were the things that were mostly true. (even if they could've been put nicer Think of parents excusing their overweight children saying "he/she's just big boned " -- it sounds nicer then saying "he/she's fat" but does either one really give you teh warm fuzzies??)

When someone says something mean to you...does it make you a better person to say "in your face"? Does it make you a better person to complain about how mean people are and then say how much better you are then themwhen in fact, throwing it in their faces and making fun of them for not running as fast/much as you makes you no better then them. <br /><br />I know that the people on here are capable of more then comparing insults they've heard. Think of it this way, if you were going to let what people say bother you...you'd never have started running. Most of us wouldn't have. You're running despite being heavy or discouraged or hurt or old or young or gimpy or whatever. To make the decision to change your life and start running, a sport that isn't easy even for smaller elite runners, requires strength and determination. You should keep that in your mind when people show their human nature and say mean things. To be above them means you will succeed on your own and not feel the need to stick your tongue out at themthey don't matter. Just keep doing your thing and you will become stronger and more immune to what anyone else thinks.

Dec 14, 2007
    14. Feb 20, 2007 8:31 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by kkindness:

Just keep doing your thing and you will become stronger and more immune to what anyone else thinks.

Wonderfully said.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...