Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1618 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2007 10:22 AM by CoolTurtle RSS 1 2 Previous Next
pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 23, 2007 8:17 PM

Why don't you swim?

we seem to have mostly runners here, which is cool.

But i'm curious, why don't many of you swim? Or if you do, why?

I swim 2x/wk usually about 3000yds/each time because I am in 1/2 Ironman training.

Just curious, is fabulous way to burn calories and not abuse the body. When I started my weight loss journey, I swam 3-5x/wk (ok back then was maybe 400-500yd/ea) but I feel it really helped burn calories and balance my body and, well, keep me from trying to run so much (which i could not do at that point but it didnt stop me from trying)

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

• RCL043 Pro 180 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 23, 2007 8:53 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)
    Re: Why don't you swim?

1. I'm not a very good swimmer.

2. It's much less convenient than running.

3. It kind of gets boring swimming laps.

4. The pool lanes can be crowded at times.

• GreenEggsAndHam Expert 312 posts since
    Jun 4, 2006
    2. Feb 24, 2007 6:41 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I don't really know how

I mean, I know how to not drown... but I think (and you'd agree if you saw me) that's different from actually swimming.

Though if anyone wants to pony up for lessons or thinks they could teach a complete beginner adult swimmer, I'd be more than happy to add it to my routine. 

• jamid018 Amateur 59 posts since
    Jan 15, 2007
    3. Feb 24, 2007 2:52 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I think swimming is great, but I live in a small town, and the only indoor pool is at our local college.  An outdoor pool would definitely not be an option right now.  I bought a pool pass, but the hours are not good, and almost everytime I go, the lifeguard had failed to show up, which means it is locked.  I bought the pass January 2, and I have only found the pool open one time.  So I really can't count on that.  I pretty much figured out that I need a backup plan every time I check. 

Well on that note, I am off to see if the pool is open today. It is supposed to be.

jami

• jamid018 Amateur 59 posts since
    Jan 15, 2007
    4. Feb 24, 2007 3:20 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Well, I am back, and the pool was not open.  There was a basketball game going on in the gym, so I guess the lifeguard (students btw) felt like catching the game instead.

I guess I will try again tomorrow.

• Maloyo Amateur 29 posts since
    May 19, 2002
    5. Feb 24, 2007 3:25 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

1.  Don't know how.

2. Am afraid of the water (used to be terrified; now only afraid).

Mary

• slowpoke014 Rookie 30 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Feb 24, 2007 3:40 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I've tried to learn to swim, but I've never been comfortable in the water. I blame my lousy eyesight: when I was a kid, I had to take my glasses off and was completely blind, which kept me from feeling secure in the pool. now that I have contacts, I'm still not comfortable putting my face in the water because I'm afraid they'll fall out. plus...there are all these babies in the pool at the Y, and I don't know how airtight those swim diapers are.

• Stevie B033 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 18, 2007
    7. Feb 24, 2007 4:29 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I do swim and i love it.

why? because it's got great aerobic benefits without having to torture your feet and legs so much.

But its true, lanes get very crowded at times which is annoying.

• Stevie B033 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 18, 2007
    8. Feb 24, 2007 4:35 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

quote:

Originally posted by slowpoke:

...there are all these babies in the pool at the Y, and I don't know how airtight those swim diapers are.

They dont have a scheduled distance swim timeframe? Every pool i've known had different types at different times of the day such as recreational swim, distance, senior swim etc.

During distance swim they set up lanes, usually a slow medium and fast lane, and you can go choose which lane you prefer based on your own skill level or preferred pace and just swim back and forth.

• muzicgrl Amateur 219 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Feb 24, 2007 10:52 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Because running is free and I dont know anyone who will let me swim in their olympic size pool for free  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!. I used to swim all the time when I could afford a good gym.

• afcop13 Amateur 13 posts since
    Oct 16, 2003
    10. Feb 26, 2007 1:43 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Have you seen what the water in the Tigris looks like?  LOL.  No thanks, I'll wait til I get home to sunny FL to swim again.

• coachburke14 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 31, 2006
    11. Feb 26, 2007 9:30 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I swim 2 days a week. I’m training for the Philadelphia Olympic Distance Triathlon in June.

• NissaRLTW Rookie 12 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    12. Feb 26, 2007 10:21 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I'd like to and plan to once I live within 30 minutes of my work and have access to a pool within an 30 minutes of my house.

Basically its a matter of time and skill.

Time: I barely have time to do the running I need to do. Because I live so far from work and I have a kid that has to be be at school and picked up from school at specific times.

Skill: I like to swim but don't know how to swim and breathe at the same time (except the back stroke and I haven't figured out how not to swim straight into the pool wall!). Fortunately skill can be taught.

I plan on doing a full Iron Man when I turn 40, so I will have to do alot of swimming eventually!

Nissa

• Francesca24 Expert 124 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Feb 26, 2007 10:38 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

i wish i could swim...but my gym doesn't have a pool.  my old gym did, but it is too far away from where i live now.  i was on a swim team in grade school and jr. high and absolutely loved it.  oh well, i guess i'll keep running and biking.

• Tamblyn Amateur 64 posts since
    May 25, 2004
    14. Feb 26, 2007 1:13 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I can't.     I'm deathly afraid of the water (funny considering I was PADI certified).

Now that I'm a parent I'm going to have to suck it up and learn.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...