Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

825 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2007 5:30 PM by RCL043
SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
Sep 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2007 6:46 AM

what made you start running??

when I was in my mid 20's, my best friend,Dean, started loosing weight. He was 70 lbs over weight. I wanted to keep doing things with him and I had shoes. I liked the way it made me feel and girls liked the idea.
That's been 20 years ago and Dean has moved away. Though I'm usually out on the roads myself, I really look forward to the fellowship at races and the rush that comes from compitition.

----

Blessings along the journey, SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• goindownsouth Amateur 469 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 7, 2007 7:34 AM (in response to SMP)
    Re: what made you start running??

I weighed 335 lbs and hated the way I looked and felt.  I knew it was going to be a long process, but I also knew running was the best way to get it done, for me...

Over 100 lbs later...  Still running...

• Heksie Amateur 31 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Mar 7, 2007 9:35 AM (in response to SMP)

I was a gym rat for many years (still am!)   Moved to a new place and the gyms are just aweful and in order to stay fit I decided I had to start pounding pavement.... never looked back.

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    3. Mar 7, 2007 1:39 PM (in response to SMP)

DH tried to get me to run way back in the 70's. Not happening.

I tried again in the 80's with limited success. It was hard work.

I finally started again in the 90's. I did the C25K plan. It clicked for some reason this time. Who knows..no small children to schedule around?? My DD#2 started running XC in high school and it turned out she was good. That meant I had to be able to run across the course to be able to see her from various points. So, I kept running.

Runnning is my one claim to semi athleticism....(Is that a word?)

----

Patty

• iwilldoit Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 19, 2007
    4. Mar 7, 2007 4:26 PM (in response to SMP)

How weird - during my run this morning I was thinking of posting a question similar to this.

I have just started running (I am on week 6 of C25K). I started for a couple reasons:
    1) I am still a little angry at my mother for never quitting smoking, no matter how many times I asked her. She died 2 years ago, and I am still a little angry about it, and vowed I would never do that to my daughter, now 2. Well, for some reason in January it clicked that by staying overweight and out of shape, I WAS doing the same thing. I don't want my daughter to resent me for not becoming healthy (she'll find plenty of other things to resent me for, LOL), so I made a decision.

2)My daughter is a very active kid that likes to run. A lot. I noticed that just from keeping up with her, I had built a little cardio capacity that I never had, so, keeping # 1 in mind, thought I would try running. Then I stumbled across C25K, and here I am.

I plan on continuing running (always my weakness) because I enjoy it more than I ever thought possible, and it is alone time for just me.

Jan 10, 2006
    5. Mar 7, 2007 8:10 PM (in response to SMP)

iwilldoit.....Funny because one of the reasons I continued to run was that I have college kids. On move in to the dorm day, I saw all the other moms huffing and puffing up the stairs or waiting in a long line to use the elevator...only to go up one floor and I thought..."Not ME"  

I will admit to using the elevator when the one kid got a room on the 6th floor. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

----

Patty

• ericd256 Legend 442 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    6. Mar 7, 2007 10:22 PM (in response to SMP)

I hadn't planned on running.I had a friend give me a pass to the gymn and if i joined i didnt have to pay any start up fees just the monthly dues.Well i was fat at 322 pounds so i  said ok.I thought i will just walk on the treadmill and lose some weight.When i got there and saw people running on the treadmill i thought i would like to  do that too. So i googled running and found CR.

• bikegirl72 Rookie 138 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    7. Mar 8, 2007 12:01 AM (in response to SMP)

i wanted to run for a long long time but i was so afraid everyone would be staring at me. now i don't care. i've decided that running would be a great way to get into shape and to lose some weight. so here i am. now i'm only like 6 weeks into it but i love it so far and being on this forum helps out a lot.

• Maloyo Amateur 29 posts since
    May 19, 2002
    9. Mar 8, 2007 7:22 AM (in response to SMP)

In the 80s (the first time I lost weight) I was heavily into bodybuilding and aerobics.  Tried running then but HATED it!

By 1991, I'd stopped lifting and gained all the weight back plus! Didn't want to return to a gym, so I discovered step aerobics, which I did on and off for years, along with a lot of walking (although not necessarily power walking).

By the end of 1997, after a few minor weight losses/gains, I was heavier than ever and made a life-long commitment to fitness (sounds stupid, I know, but I promised myself that not matter what my weight was, I'd keep exercising if I was able--and I have kept that promise).

Anyway, I went back to step, but got bored with it and it wasn't hard enough even for a female over 220lbs (over 250 at first) without doing a lot of power step or going higher than 6" which hurt my hips. Then I briefly tried to learn to inline skate. Wound up with a dislocated thumb at the start of my first lesson (yes, I had on all the protective gear).

Was going to try to intensify walking when I saw Oprah Winfrey's book Making the Connection. When I read that she started at over 220lbs, I figured if she could do it, so could I.

This was in May 1999, and I've run ever since.

I started running in order to lose weight. I've kept running, through a lot of weight ups and downs, although the overall trend has been down, because I love it!

Too bad I have absolutely no talent for this sport! Still, I'm grateful to be able to participate!

Mary

• tmcaboy Rookie 16 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Mar 8, 2007 7:28 AM (in response to SMP)

I was not sleeping well, grinding my teeth and tossing and turning all night.  Everyone kept telling me how tired I looked. 

Then, I realized my clothes weren't fitting, and I'm cheap enough that this was a huge motivation.

Finally, our business sponsored a 5K.  I signed up and didn't want to embarass myself, and I was hooked.  Changed my life.

• runningforfreedom Amateur 163 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Mar 8, 2007 7:42 AM (in response to SMP)

I started running the first time was about 7 years ago... I started to lose a few pounds... I knew running was the best for calorie burning, so i decided to do it till I got thiner again. Then I fell in love with it, and just ran... I stopped caring if i lost the weight, I was running because it was a blast for me... well I did lose the weight... then I got pregnant, almost had a miscarrage, and stopped running altogether, with the intention of starting back up after the baby... well DS came, I tried to run, but it was HARD! I couldn't run like I had before... and I guess I thought I should be able to just start right back up running... very nieve, I know. During all this time, I never ran with anybody, never had a schedule or a goal... I just ran however far I could or wanted to... my farthest distance then was maybe 4 miles... which I thought was LONG!

Now after my son turned 3... and I still hadn't lost the baby weight, I had actually lost a few pounds, then gained them back with a few more... I remembered that I used to love running, and that I lost weight running before, without "dieting" just be eating healthy, and running a few days a week... so finally last year about Oct... I decided that I would go out at least 3 days a week, and do whatever I could... I had been running for a few months, but only once in a while, and so was NOT seeing progress... once I made a commitment to 3 days a week... it stuck... then as I progressed, and found my rythm again, I fell back in love like never before... and now I descovered this forum, and training plans, and racing, and running logs and MANY more miles... I just completed my first HM this past sunday... and i now run at least 4 days most weeks, and I'm looking to bump it up to 5 days soon. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

So I started running each time to lose weight, but I continue because I LOVE IT!!!!!!

----

myspace[/URL" target="_blank">

Work it harder, Make it better, Do it faster, Makes us stronger, Our work is never over...

Jan 10, 2006
    12. Mar 8, 2007 7:53 AM (in response to SMP)

Steve, at least this move is down thosse four flights of steps and not up.

DS#1 moved out of his apartment this past summer. He was on 11. No problem, they have an elevator. WRong...the elevator was broken. It was 95 degrees outside. Hardest thing was moving that queen size bed down those steps. I thought I was gonna die before we got it down the steps. I am sure I killed DS becasue he was on the lower end of it and got all the weight.

Do they ever grow up???

----

Patty

• RCL043 Pro 180 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Mar 10, 2007 5:30 PM (in response to SMP)

I had run on and off since high school. The pressures of twice changing jobs, and becoming a father sort of got me off track for about three years. My doctor expressed concern about my weight and blood pressure.  I also had been diagnosed with a minor heart arrhythmia. Meanwhile, my wife started to tease me about my paunch. I figured I’d start back running in the spring.

Then came Thanksgiving weekend: We went to my in-laws where I ate like a glutton and sat around watching a lot of football. I felt fat and guilty. On the way home, I got in it my head that I was going to start running now, instead of postponing it until the spring. Even if I didn’t make it through the winter, I figured I’d be that much better off come spring. That evening I went to the mall and bought a book on running. The next morning, I went for a 1.8 mile run. I followed the beginners’ training schedule in the book, making sure to take the required days off, and made it through the winter. In the spring I was up to doing a 10K with co-workers. By fall, I started to think about doing a marathon, and even went to watch the finish of our local marathon to further ingrain the idea in my head.

The next Thanksgiving we again went to visit my in-laws. I still ate like a glutton and watched football, but was 20 pounds lighter, went for some long runs while out there, and felt a lot better about myself.  This year I will mark my 20th anniversary of starting back running. I have completed 31 marathons, and am not quite ready to quit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...