Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1723 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2007 5:12 AM by carolcrc RSS
JustLance Amateur 11 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2007 9:51 PM

Do I over train?

Here is the question, am I running too much? I have seen a lot of stuff on running program and training and it think I am missing something. I am in my early forties and started running just this year. I was in "ok" condition when I started on the treadmills in January and moved to outdoor running in March. I was totally hooked. I run an average of 40 miles a week and my pace is between 8:15 and 8:40 minute miles. I haven't had any pain anywhere. I seem to recover my breathing within a couple of minutes and often feel like I should have ran a couple more miles. My typical run is at least 7 miles and usually around 11. I have had other runners tell me I am doing too much and over train and should cut back but I wonder if they are right. Given that I feel fine and have no problems I don't want to run less but I also don't want to wake up one morning and not be able to run due to a stupid injury. Any advice would be nice.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 29, 2007 10:46 PM (in response to JustLance)
    do you have any rest days or easy weeks?

your body does need some rest time to come back stronger if you keep beating it down day after day something will eventually get hurt or you will burn out on running

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 30, 2007 6:55 AM (in response to JustLance)
    Re: Do I over train?

40 miles per week isn't too much if you are used to it.  If you start to drag or your training times are slow for a few days then you should certainly cut back.  You might also want to consider some shorter days once in a while.  It's OK to throw in a 3-5 mile recovery run every now and then!  Listen to your body: some folks need to take a day or two off each week and others have multi-year streaks of running every day.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jul 1, 2007 3:46 PM (in response to JustLance)

You're running enough miles to do a marathon.  40 mile weeks and more are not unusual for marathoners.  The law of diminishing returns indicates that if you're running for health, doing more than 25 mpw is probably a waste of time.

If you're doing it simply for the fun of it, more power to you.  Many runners give their bodies a "rest" every 2 to 4 weeks with a week where they run 50% to 66% of their maximal mileage weeks.  You may want to consider that.

• carolcrc Pro 110 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 2, 2007 5:14 AM (in response to JustLance)

Latest medical info says you maximize the benefits to your heart at about 40 miles a week.  The rest days are important, but it sounds like you are approaching things sensibly.  There are a lot of people who will try to convince you to do less because that is what they are doing - especially if they aren't doing anything!

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jul 2, 2007 11:42 AM (in response to JustLance)

carol, that is so funny - and it's true: those who tell you not to run so much or start talking about people who had heart attacks while running are those who belong to the Big Butts of America Club and never do anything.

As dave pointed out, cutting back every three/four weeks is great advice. It keeps the routine fresh and lets your body repair and rebuild. After running for about 10 years, i was starting to feel a little burnt out. But this routine of incorporating an easy week has turned things around for me.

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jul 2, 2007 12:12 PM (in response to JustLance)

As mentioned above: listen to your body.  However, what are your goals?  Do you race, do you plan to race?  Or are you running just for the fitness and you like the way you feel? 

Back in the day my distance buddies were training 75 - 100 miles/week.  But they ran 30:30 10K's and sub 2:30 marathons.  Their mileage was based on goals they set for themselves and trained accordingly.  

I think your body would tell you if you're over training.  If you start feeling sluggish or have a nagging ache then it is time to back off.

• smo5246 Legend 204 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jul 2, 2007 1:09 PM (in response to JustLance)

40 miles a week is fine if you can handle it.  It certainly sounds to me like you can handle more. I am a marathon runner who also runs 5k, 5 mile, 10k and half marathon races.  It all depends on what your goals are.  40 miles a week provides you with versatility.  Since you are not totally challenged by your mileage, you an either pick up the pace or increase the distance, or keep things status quo.  Personally, I would run an interval workout and a tempo workout each week, while holding onto the 40 miles -- or even reduce it a bit. In the fall, I'd can the intervals and start increasing my weekly long run, while holding on to the tempo run (5 miles or more).  In the late summer & early fall, I'd run shorter races (10k and shorter) and plan for a marathon and or 1/2 marathon in October or November.

• smo5246 Legend 204 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jul 5, 2007 11:55 AM (in response to JustLance)

Judging from what you have said about finishing a 10k fresh in 50 minutes, I would suspect that you are running a tempo run in your races.  A tempo run is one where you can hold the pace for 20 minutes or more, but aren't overly conversational.  I generally think of it as about 30 seconds per mile slower than 5k pace, or about 20 seconds per mile slower than 10k pace.  In other words, if you are running a 5 mile tempo run at an 8 minute pace, you ought to be able to run a 10k at about 7:40 pace.  Let me give you a 20 year ago example.  When I could run 10k in 36 minutes, my 5 mile tempo pace was 6:10.  My 5k times were around 17:30.  My marathon times were relatively slow at 2:56 for I refused to put in more than about 40 miles a week.  Thus, the key to holding a 6:40 pace over 26.2 miles was the 5 mile tempo run which I ran once a week in about 30:50.  These days, I am running 10k around 46:35, and my tempo pace is around 7:45.  I suspect that a 3:45 marathon is doable, weather permitting. Again, I am capable of running faster than 3:45, but I can't handle the long runs as well as I used to.  It sounds to me like you can handle the weekly long runs better, so I would say, go for it!  And don't forget the mid week tempo run.

• carolcrc Pro 110 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Jul 6, 2007 5:12 AM (in response to JustLance)

It does take a while to pick up the jargon.  It took me about six months of reading the Runner's World training plans to figure out what all the interval abbreviations mean.

Adding interval training (short distances run fast, followed by a short recovery jog, then repeated)will also increase your overall speed, especially for shorter races.  You can find lots of training plans that will give you specifics on running intervals over the course of your training.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...