Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2127 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2007 9:35 PM by danimal97tj RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
danimal97tj Amateur 26 posts since
Jun 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 3, 2007 11:24 PM

How fast could I run?

This morning's weigh in had me at 235 lbs.  I have been doing Tuesday speedwork with some 1/2 and full marathoners. Well, today it was decided by myself and another runner that we were going to see what we could run a mile in.  I came in at 6:09. I am 32 years old, male, 6'0" and weigh 235 lbs.  What if I could somehow miraculously get down to 200 lbs?  What do you think I could run a mile in with all other things being equal?  

----

Big AND Fast is hard to do but I'm trying

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 4, 2007 7:50 AM (in response to danimal97tj)
    Re: How fast could I run?

ok, that's amazing. As a 235lb 36yo I envy that speed, I'm lucky to see sub 10.

Now, just some random thoughts. If you're able to get 6ish at 235, you've got to have some major muscle strength to propel yourself.

with that being said, what's your Body Fat %? I ask because do you HAVE 35lbs to loose?

I'm around 21%. If I were to drop 10% let's say, then I would drop 24lbs. So that's 211. Since you are much faster than me already, I wonder if your BF is eevn that high. I honestly don't think I'll get to 200 without loosing muscle. If you loose muscle, you're going to loose speed.

Just something to consider. If you do have some excess fat you can shed, you'll gain speed. No question or doubt. BUT at some point you will sacrifice muscle instead and then that's going to be a problem, as it will slow you down.

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

• huskydon Legend 313 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    2. Jul 4, 2007 8:08 AM (in response to danimal97tj)

Hi,

That's a great mile time! I envy that speed, and I am 100 lbs lighter than you.

I have heard that each pound you lose, you lose two seconds per mile. If that is true, then you would be running around five minute miles!

Actually, it probably wouldn't be quite so good because you would be losing muscle too, but still, you probably can lose some additional time.

Huskydon

• Brian McN Amateur 240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 4, 2007 1:06 PM (in response to danimal97tj)

I hate to be the one to ask but how was that mile measured?

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 5, 2007 4:47 PM (in response to danimal97tj)

You never know how far this can go for you.  Thirty pounds lighter and all that training that will get you there will pay off in a big way.  Stay healthy and be patient with your training.  You definately have some talent to work with.

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 6, 2007 3:04 PM (in response to danimal97tj)

Let us know how it goes.  I started out at 225 and now am 192.  I found that the weight came off without much effort as I slowly increased my mileage.  Rather than the 10% rule I think it came out to more like a 1% increase per week.  After three years I'll run 100+ a week during my base period.  I learned the hard way to be patient and not to jump into anything too quick but also not to back off.  It's hard to balance the two.

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jul 7, 2007 7:22 PM (in response to danimal97tj)

Good point - when training for SPEED you have to be extra cautious about injury.

I'd just go overboard on recovery steps.
    - sufficient sleep
    - sufficient hard/easy/rest day cycles which work for you and where you are at
    - ICE every night
    - AntiInflams after hard days (internal version of ice, basically, but YMMV use with caution some people this will rip a hole in their stomache)
    - work on the "contrary" muscle groups. This is the bane of all runners - you get too strong in one area and the contrary muscle group is too weak, relative, because it's getting no attention. This causes a muscle imbalance which would then lead to injury. Cycling is a good "contrary" sport to running as it works many of those muscles. Just a thought.
    - diet - I would be certain to use a recovery drink or proper natural food mix (don't ask me, I'm lame just use recovery drink - easier) post hard efforts. this will refuel your glycogen stores faster, provide you with antioxidants, and help you basically recharge faster so you gain the most from each workout

good luck, keep us appraised of your progress, I'm excited and motivated to hear big-breatheren hitting these kinds of speeds. I'd almost given up hope of sub8's for me...

----

Yup That's me[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jul 7, 2007 7:24 PM (in response to danimal97tj)

quote:

Originally posted by danimal97tj:

My brother has one of those BMI calculator things that you hold in both hands, and it calculated me at 20% body fat, but that was 4 or 5 months ago. My weight and general appearance, including waist size (38) hasn't changed much since then. I really think that I could lose at least 30 pounds and not lose much muscle strength.

Get a caliper test and repeat it every few months by the same tech. They're cheap, easy, and most health clubs with a "wellness" program would offer it. Far more accurate than the handheld deals. Those are a good weekly checkin type of thing, but are so easily effected by hydration that is makes them somewhat useless. 

• pmcneb Community Moderator 582 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    12. Jul 10, 2007 10:47 AM (in response to danimal97tj)

Congrats on the new little bundle!

----

Patty

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    13. Jul 10, 2007 11:45 AM (in response to danimal97tj)

Vo2 Max Calc

6:09 @ 235 (106.8 kg) = 47.1 VMax = 5,031 MMo2

Take 5,031 divided by 91kg (200#) = 55.2 VMAX

a 55.2 VMAX = 5:20 mile

This is the maximum that you can expect. Because we all ahve some level of ineffeciency in our running, depending on your level you it could be a little of a lot less improvement.

As one writter brought up - This calculation assume that you reduce weight without losing any muscle.  I would say the likely range is 5:30-5:40 mile time @ 200#.

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    14. Jul 10, 2007 11:51 AM (in response to danimal97tj)

PS - Lose the weight and see

Clydesdale does not have to mean slow and skinny does not mean fast, but weight is a handicap to performance.

I continue to struggle on - knowing I will never reach my full potential @ 205# - I need to get to 165-170 (6'3).

You can be big and fast - but not the fastest you can be.  You should be excited at the potential that lies within you, keep training hard and find it.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...