Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1922 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2007 9:30 PM by mrinertia RSS
Padre21 Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2007 3:02 PM

First Time 5K racer & Keeping pace

1) I am considering running a 5K and have never done it before.  Are there things I should know about race day?  What and when to eat?  I would be in the Clydesdales as a 6'8" and 300lb man. 
2) I have been running for a couple years on a treadmill, but when I run outside have a hard time keeping my pace.  Any suggestions?

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Nov 16, 2007 3:44 PM (in response to Padre21)
    Re: First Time 5K racer & Keeping pace

Going from TM to road always takes a little adjustment. Doing it in a race should be interesting.

You'll have to rely on "feel" quite a bit, but understand your perceptions going to be a bit skewed. A good 5k race feels kinda like this:

First mile - comfortably hard, settling into pace

second mile - "Gee, this is getting kinda tough but I think I can hang on"

2.0-2.65 or so "Ugh, I think my lungs are gonna fall out"

Then you really drop the hammer and go for it. The last fraction of a mile actually hurts - if you start seeing black spots in front of your eyes, you're doing it right. Hold on, it'll be over in seconds.

Good times, good times.

Let us know how it goes.

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 27, 2007 10:09 AM (in response to Padre21)

Good Luck and Run Strong!!!!

J/K

Try alot of different foods the night before and do early morning runs with coffee without coffee... with food with out food what foods make ya have to Sh!t which ones dont the next day etc.... water do you need it in your day before or the morning right before?

I personally have found that the night before does not matter so much as long as I am some what sensible.... but in the morning a small bagel with some peanut butter and honey a hard boiled egg and 2-3 cups of coffee is perfect for a good morning run... plus wake up an hour before I have to leave so I can clear my bowels...

as far as pace goes I run with a garmin now... but before I always drove and looked for mile markers for potential run routes and the just ran with a normal wrist watch on the stop watch function and calculated by that... so get off the tread mill once a week or atleast every other week and see what happens run slow at first as the harder surface will burn you most likely!!!

[http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-16-2007).|http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-16-2007).]

[http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-16-2007).|http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-16-2007).]

Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 18, 2007 10:36 AM (in response to Padre21)

I would recomend at least one if not two easy morning runs  this week than to try out a (what is needed in the morning  coffee food etc... or what would make your stomach bad.

Good Luck!!!

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Nov 24, 2007 7:56 AM (in response to Padre21)

Congratulations on your first Race... it is very addicting isnt it!!

Great time as well !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Did you get a race shirt?

• Bugmenot043 Legend 353 posts since
    Nov 29, 2006
    7. Nov 24, 2007 1:03 PM (in response to Padre21)

quote:

Originally posted by mrinertia:

Going from TM to road always takes a little adjustment. Doing it in a race should be interesting.

You'll have to rely on "feel" quite a bit, but understand your perceptions going to be a bit skewed. A good 5k race feels kinda like this:

First mile - comfortably hard, settling into pace

second mile - "Gee, this is getting kinda tough but I think I can hang on"

2.0-2.65 or so "Ugh, I think my lungs are gonna fall out"

Then you really drop the hammer and go for it. The last fraction of a mile actually hurts - if you start seeing black spots in front of your eyes, you're doing it right. Hold on, it'll be over in seconds.

Good times, good times.

Let us know how it goes.

I suggest you not follow this plan, because very few athletes succeed running positive splits, and the ones who do are usually the elite ones who put in lots of miles to avoid that feeling (just like marathoners train to not hit the wall). If you run like this, you're legs are going to feel like lead the whole run, and you'll have to endure the pain of people passing you. I suggest you run negative splits, basically not going as fast the first mile (so not "comfortably hard", more "comfortable") for your next race.

Dec 14, 2007
    8. Nov 26, 2007 12:51 PM (in response to Padre21)

quote:

Originally posted by Bugmenot:

I suggest you not follow this plan, because very few athletes succeed running positive splits, and the ones who do are usually the elite ones who put in lots of miles to avoid that feeling (just like marathoners train to not hit the wall). If you run like this, you're legs are going to feel like lead the whole run, and you'll have to endure the pain of people passing you. I suggest you run negative splits, basically not going as fast the first mile (so not "comfortably hard", more "comfortable") for your next race.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was advocating picking up the pace as the race goes on, finishing with your final split faster than your initial split. Isn't that a negative split? I thought positive splits were running the first half faster than the second half.

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Nov 26, 2007 12:55 PM (in response to Padre21)

quote:

Originally posted by Padre21:

Well my first race is complete. I drove about 3 hours one way and ran a pretty decent race and then drove home. I raced in an area where I used to be a volunteer firefighter and one of the guys on the department invited me down to do the race.

My final time in the 5K was 29 minutes and I believe around 40 seconds. It was good enough to get me 2nd place in the Clydesdale division.

Thank You for your kinds words, good advice and encouragement. I think I may be hooked...

To Be Continued...

First off congratulations on your first race. Double congratulations on placing. My condolences on getting hooked. It's a tough road we travel !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

3 hours for a turkey trot (or any 5k for that matter) seems like a heckuva haul. Where in Ohio are you?

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Nov 26, 2007 9:30 PM (in response to Padre21)

quote:

Originally posted by Padre21:

I am now living near Akron (Barberton), Ohio. I went to the race where I just moved from, West Liberty, OH. A friend of mine is co-organizer of the race which is why I went (We were on the fire department there together and there is a bond formed when risking your life together). It's also the first year they had the Clydesdale division.

I, also, did get a race shirt as was asked in an earlier post.

Again thanks for the support and encouragement.

I'm in Cleveland. Not close enough to see each other in training but perhaps our paths will cross in a race.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...