Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1459 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2007 2:15 PM by Marni-
Marni- Rookie 69 posts since
Apr 20, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2007 2:15 PM

Hip AND Hamstring pain? I'm at a loss...

Hi all. Please oh please can someone help me figure out this pain? I tore a meniscus 6 months ago and it's been since fixed but I still have this debilitating pain in my hip which causes a sharp pain to radiate through the lateral ham into the tendon at the knee. External rotoation while sitting with foot planted causes "normal" pain but I can more than quadruple that pain by lying on my UNAFFECTED side with bottom knee bent then letting foot of the affected leg relax to the ground but with knees touching; I guess this sort of causes the femur to raise up in the hip joint. OMG the pain is nearly unbearable in this position. Raising my affected leg while in this position is difficult and painful and there's a bit of crunchy/snappy feeling in the bony point of the hip with sharp pain running immediately into the biceps femoris tendon at the knee. The pain does not extend past the knee so it's not sciatic. No back pain and I can sit for HOURS. In addition I'm strangley extra flexible in that leg now.

I've practically argued with my OS that it is NOT piriformis. Unfortunately this is a workman's comp case caused by slipping while rising from a seated position which caused me to twist into a straight legged fall so I'm at their mercy. Yep, I'm graceful. In addition to the snap/pop in the knee there was a pop/pull in the lower butt area between where one would experience piriformis pain and the bone of the hip. My OS has suggested an ultrasound guided cortisone injection into the proximal hamstring, but rather than approving it worker's comp is sending me for an independent evaluation. I'm very frustrated. AND not running!

Any suggestions as to what this might be? A word? An idea? A technical term for that lying postion or the angle it creates so much pain? I'll take anything. Thank you so much for any information. I'll Google it and see if it matches up. Sorry this is so long.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...