Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1649 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 30, 2007 7:34 PM by PidgeonToe RSS
chitownrunner Rookie 9 posts since
Jul 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2007 8:19 PM

Huff 50k Huntington, IN race update

Amazing race! www.huff50k.com  It's one of the largest ultramarathons in the country and takes you around Roush Lake

Drove from Chicago and didn't realize the time difference. Ended up getting lost ( very complicated area if you are unfamiliar with it) yet race official were kind enough to let me start regardless. Started the race at 8:40am instead of 8am. I was a bit unprepared since I jumped out of the car and got on the trail right away. 

Trail was very muddy, with small streams, rivers and lots of puddles along with surrounding bushes equipped with thorns. I started off in 3 layers and became too hot after 2 miles or so. It was 29f, overcast, little wind except on bridges.

The first loop was exciting and fun, and I was running on my addrenaline rush. However, by the end of second loop I really started feeling my legs, especially hips and lower back and hamstrings from sliding around so much I think and carrying a couple of pounds of mud on the shoes. At times, I felt my shoe getting seriously stuck in the mud, specifically during the 3rd loop when I got tired of the slush and rolling hills

Overall, great race. I loved the conditions of the trail ( I can say that now but was swearing during the last loop!), its peaceful setting, great weather and gorgeous lake. The aid stations were set up every 4 miles with a portable toilet ( with toilet paper!). Great idea to have Pepsi there! Really saved my stomach a couple of times.

If you'd like more info, I'd be happy to share more details

my time: 5:08  for 50k individual run.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...