Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8776 Views 64 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 11:13 PM by JC2017 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Alissandrya Amateur 49 posts since
    Nov 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 8, 2008 6:54 PM (in response to Lane Meyers)
    Re: Couch to 5k- Week 1, Week of January 6

Lane, how "hard" each person finds this program seems to vary greatly.  I can tell you that I have had good days, where I completely met my running goal and days that I could just cry it was so hard and I just couldnt seem to get it going.  Do NOT give up.  I am currently on week 7 and I was able to run the 25 minutes.  I am still overweight (40 lbs to go) and i am sure that has a huge impact., but I refuse to give up.  I hope you dont either.  Trust me, if my overweight out of shape self can do this- anyone can!

• Lane Meyers Rookie 75 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    16. Jan 9, 2008 5:45 AM (in response to Alissandrya)

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I was really kind of dreading my run yesterday and was trying so hard to change my attitude. Thanks to nice people like you, I got the pep talk I needed! I got home, laced up my sneaks, put on a happy face and told my hubby I was ready to go. I was really surprised by how much easier it was this time around. I found a rhythm that helped me time the jogging and walking parts which helped a lot. I was shocked by how much my breathing had improved even having done it only one time prior. I got home and wanted to do it all over again!

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I'll keep going back and reading posts like yours when I'm feeling like I can't possibly go running because of X Y or Z! I'm so jelous that you can run for 25 minutes! I don't think I've done that since highschool! Good luck with your goal. Are you signed up to run a 5K?

• irish_hoodlum Rookie 36 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    17. Jan 9, 2008 6:36 AM (in response to Lane Meyers)

Well...Did week one workout 2 this morning and it went smoother than the first one. Felt pretty good! I struggled a little bit with the getting out of bed part (6 a.m.) but once I was up and going I was OK. Hopefully it will become more routine soon, and I won't have to "force" myself to get up and do it....but instead, i'll look forward to getting up and doing it.

hope the rest of you are doing well!

• beachbum724 Pro 217 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    18. Jan 9, 2008 7:18 AM (in response to Lane Meyers)

Lane- hang in there, and face each run one day at a time visualizing yourself runninng and fit and happy!  I am also 40 pounds overweight and can't possibly picture myself doing 25 minutes and living to tell about it, but finished week one a couple hours ago and feel great about completing the first week.  I've never ever done anything aerobic and am also learning to get that much air in and out in an efficient manner and that's been my biggest challenge.  Everyone tells me it will just come with time.  So I keep puffing along.  This morning I felt like I had y'all running with me!  Its good to know you're part of a group that is all trying together, and I don't want to post that I missed a day- so I'm not making excuses this time.  Hang in there and go- and post when you get back and tell us how you did!  Congratulations! You're doing great!

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP YOU IS YOU!

Started C25K the first time January 2008

Jingle Bell Run December 5, 2009 5K 40:15

Completed C25K January 3, 2010 running 3 miles in 39 minutes

started program again January 21,2012 on my own

Started with a local group in April 2012

Completed C25K with a local running group 6-8-12

Miles for Smiles 5K to be run on 6-15-12

• alcesalces Rookie 189 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    19. Jan 9, 2008 9:21 AM (in response to alex246)

Hey group!!! Getting ready for W1D2. I am terribly sick! Hacking up God knows what, but I'ts not going to stop me! Day 2 will happen in an hour or two and I want everyone to know that we're all going to do it this time! No running for a week or two and then going back to the couch. We're making our lifestyle change right here and right now! No Excuses!!! We should come up with a group name so it's easy to find the thread, and it will make us a little more close knit. I just want to let everyone know that I'm proud that you're all fighting through the pain and getting out there to make a change in your life. It helps me get out there knowing that there is a group of people doing the same thing, and I don't want to let myself down or them. So everyone keep it up and let the rest of us know how you're doing! I'm signing up for my first 5k in March, can't believe it!!!!

Drew

Jan 7, 2008
    20. Jan 9, 2008 10:08 AM (in response to alcesalces)

Drew...I know it's rough tryin' to get that workout in when your sick. It's the last thing I'm sure you feel like doing, and I give you a lot of credit for doing it anyway. That says a lot about your drive and commitment.

I think the group name is a great idea...I just don't have any ideas on what. I think a big part of our success will be the encouragement and support we get from each other, so let's band together, and keep each other encouraged and accountable. We all started together...let's finish this together!

I'm already excited about the things we will all accomplish!!

Jan 8, 2008
    21. Jan 9, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to beachbum724)

Thanks! I have been telling everyone at work that I'm doing this so I'll be red-faced if I have to come in and tell people that I up and quit! It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one huffing and puffing. I'm so self aware of that..Congrats on finishing week 1! Way to go! I'll be rooting for ya!

Jan 8, 2008
    22. Jan 9, 2008 10:52 AM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

Oh good! I'm so glad you got your Irish up! You'll have to excuse me I have a terrible fondness for bad puns. But, I'm glad you were able to drag yourself out of bed at 6:00 am. Thanks again for motivating me yesterday. It totally picked me up! Good luck with day 3. Mine is scheduled for Friday!

Jan 8, 2008
    23. Jan 9, 2008 10:56 AM (in response to alcesalces)

Sorry you're sick. That's my newest obsession. I keep worrying that something will happen to stop me, but if you can do it then so can I regardless of the next sniffle I catch! Go YOU!

I echo your sentiments. This is a really nice group and it feels good to have some shadow runners with me!

• dimpelz Rookie 40 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    24. Jan 9, 2008 12:31 PM (in response to alcesalces)

I hope you feel better.  I agree that it is good to know that I have some support.  wk1 day 2 is tomorrow morning.  I am real excited about thisa but whenever I tell someone they just look at me like, yeah right.  Also, do you all think that I am doing to musch by taking a spinning class twice a week?  I just really want to get back into shape and I am doing what I can since I have the motivation to do it.

Jan 7, 2008
    25. Jan 9, 2008 1:00 PM (in response to dimpelz)

I don't think it is too much to do a spinning class a couple of times a week. I think it is good to do something on the "off days" of C25K. As long as you're not hurting yourself. Just listen to you body. (...and you know I'm not referring to the "normal" aches of exercise. )

If you're feeling good about doing it...and you're motivated to do it...that's what it is all about. The healthier and better we feel, the more active we will want to become...and the easier it will be to continue living a healthy "lifestyle".

You're livin' the dream dimpelz!...lol

As for what others think? ....PROVE THEM WRONG! Use it to motivate you...don't let them be right!

Jan 7, 2008
    26. Jan 9, 2008 1:28 PM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

I think my biggest struggle isn't so much the exercising...as it is the calorie reduction. I mean...they both have their challanges, but I'm HUNGRY...lol. I have been eating 6 smaller meals a day, and trying to keep my daily total to around 1600 calories. (which is what was recommended for my height/ weight and whatever else they use in their equation) I think I used to eat that in one meal...lol. They say it will take a little time for my body to get used to it, and to drink water if I am hungry between my meal times...and I hope I get more accustomed to it soon. I don't think it was this hard the first time I did this program (4 years ago), but I was just quitting smoking and really didn't eat like I have been.

...regret is a sucky feeling. I really wish I would have stuck with the running back then. But I didn't...so I better just quit feeling sorry for myself and take care of business!!

Sorry...I just had to think out loud a little. I know it will get better. ...I guess I'm a little impatient.

• alcesalces Rookie 189 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    27. Jan 9, 2008 1:46 PM (in response to alex246)

This is great guys!! I made it through day 2, with the aches, with the sickness, and I'm still able to type while I chug my protein shake! It wasd a lot harder today, but I love running outside and it was only 15, but I had a little sun so off I was. It was a little harder because my muscles wouldn't stay loose, and I was hacking my phlegm the whole way, but... I think the run cleared a lot of junk from my lungs and I feel better now! So... to our little cycling friend... keep it up, if you can do the cycling and the body feels good, keep it up. I like to spend my off days doing upper body weights, and some core work to give my legs some rest and build the rest of my body. I think as long as the effort is there things will work out great for you! Our Irish friend.. I hear ya on the food. I'm a big guy, 6'6" 280, I like to eat, but I found some good tricks. I drink water all the time now, when I'm thirsty, when I'm not, all the time! I carry little cup sized baggies of almonds with me, perfect snack between meals, they are filling and good for you! After workouts, or as a replacement I have a nice yummy protein shake. Perfect for everything your body needs! Need a good recipe, let me know. I want to thank everyone for their push, it's like I'm running out in the cold with a whole group of friends! I'm still waiting to here where people are from by the way.

Jan 7, 2008
    28. Jan 9, 2008 2:20 PM (in response to alcesalces)

Yeah...I know the water is the key...I just have to (once again) make it a habit.

I'm from Central Illinois. I live in farm country and love it. (I grew up in the Chicago area...near O'hare airport) I am married (16 years) and have 2 awesome daughters ages 12 and 15. I am the maintenance Director at a large church (which is a fancy title for head custodian...lol) and I love the outdoors. anything else you want to know...just ask.

• crackrjack Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    29. Jan 9, 2008 3:36 PM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

Hello All,

I started the C25K program in the Fall of last year, and made it to the end of week four before I went out of town to a two week horseshow and came back to the !!HOLIDAYS!!!.  So needless to say, I had not run since the 11th of Nov. I have picked it up again and am right around the beginning of week 3, but I chose this post because you are all so supportive and I really need the motivation to keep me going. If this is a problem, feel free to kick me out, but I figure I can be the advanced warning system on what to expect.   I am a married 4th year college student in Missouri, and have been a clydesdale my entire life.  I can still remember thinking I was going to die every year during the P.E. mile run in grade school.  I am very happy to go out and be able to walk/run 4 miles without feeling like I am going to die.  

Cancel my subscription, I don't need your issues.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...