Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9099 Views 64 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 11:13 PM by JC2017 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • tennisthemenace Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 9, 2008 3:41 PM (in response to alex246)
    Re: Couch to 5k- Week 1, Week of January 6

Greetings to all,

I am 44 yrs old, have two elementary age kids, I play tennis twice a week, and am 40 lbs overweight, borderline obese.   I have several friends who started running/jogging as part of their weight loss program, and the results are stunning.  I realize that my being overweight has everything to do with my infatuation with starches, carbs, sweets, sugar.  I also know that I am capable of more exercise.   

I bought a new pair of Brooks running shoes, to start this program.   I love them!  I finished day 2 yesterday, it was hard, I am sore today, so I'm taking a break will do day 3 on Friday or Saturday.  I am trying to find beginners to run with in my area, as there is an abundance of trails about to walk/jog/run.  My goal is to run a mile, once I reach that I will set a new goal.  For right now, I am going to take this program slow and easy, if I have to repeat a day or two I will.  I am making my eating changes on a gradual basis, no cold turkey on everything.  Just making better choices, fruits, water, meats, and adding fiber in the morning to my cereal, oh yes and water.

I have a two year old Golden Retriever and so far he likes jog/walk routine.  I can go to a treadmill at my athletic club, but I prefer being outdoors.  I am so glad to see others here have similar goals as I.  Lose weight, get in shape, and yes I would love enter a 5k race!

Good luck to all and look forward to reading your comments.

• beachbum724 Pro 217 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    31. Jan 9, 2008 5:53 PM (in response to alcesalces)

alcesalces- I'm on the Mississippi Gulf Coast- where its still short sleeve Tshirt weather most days. I'm hoping to run down the beach at some point when I can run 20-30 minutes straight.     Im married 25 years, with two daughters 18 and 22.  Trying to set a good fitness example to them and my husband.  He and I've gained about 40-50 each since we've been married.  I work for plastic surgeons- and can answer any questions anyone has in general  about surgery to accompany weight loss!  ha!

krackrjack- welcome to our group!  it is a very supportive run group, and we're glad to have you jump right in!  you've got a head start on us since you've already gotten to week 4.  I'm impressed already.  Help us out with what's coming for us in the next few weeks.

I finished W1D3 this morning.  Yeah!

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP YOU IS YOU!

Started C25K the first time January 2008

Jingle Bell Run December 5, 2009 5K 40:15

Completed C25K January 3, 2010 running 3 miles in 39 minutes

started program again January 21,2012 on my own

Started with a local group in April 2012

Completed C25K with a local running group 6-8-12

Miles for Smiles 5K to be run on 6-15-12

• dimpelz Rookie 40 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    32. Jan 10, 2008 5:53 AM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

Thank you so much for your encouragement and motivation Irish.  I finished wk 1 day 2 at 6:18 A.M.  I just couldn't get out of the bed at 5:00 A.M. today. At least its finished.  I'm looking forward to completing wk1 on Saturday.  My spinning class was a lot easier last night but I am still sore.  I almost did not do day 2 of c25k but I pushed through it and I feel great.  I will tell you that, it's real easy for me to give up on something, but I want so bad to be able to make running a regular part of my life.  I know what it can do for a woman's figure   and that is what I want.  I did it 15 years ago in basic training.  I haven't quite gotten the eating right thing down just yet but I'm working on it.  For some reason I have been extremely hungry.  Will protein shakes make me gain weight?  I am so glad to be in this wonderful group.  As far as a name goes, how about "The Finishers".

• Lane Meyers Rookie 75 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    33. Jan 10, 2008 6:32 AM (in response to crackrjack)

Welcome here crackrjack! It's great that you're on Week 3! I have Week 1 Day 3 scheduled for this Friday, rain or shine.

I'm from beautiful, New Jersey. No, really! Lots of beautiful trails near our house in central Jersey. I prefer to run outdoors myself; I like the fresh air, the sounds of birds chirping, the occasional deer sighting...It's purty! I am married to a green-eyed handsome man and have two very spoiled kitties, Miles and Dizzy. We'd love to have kids and a couple dogs in the next couple of years.

Thanks for the reminder about drinking water folks. I just re-filled my water bottle thanks to all the comments!

So, I tried ballroom dancing last night. Apparently, I have three left feet, but no matter! It was still fun.

• irish_hoodlum Rookie 36 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    34. Jan 10, 2008 6:49 AM (in response to Lane Meyers)

Welcome to group Tennisthemenace and crackrjack! Good group of people here.

Lane...looks like we are on the same schedule. Week 1 day 3 is tomorrow for me too. I wish i could run outside, but it's just too nasty and not practical right now. I'm thankful I have a treadmill...but I prefer running outside. Can't wait til the weather gets nicer!

On to the group name...

The "finishers"! ...great idea...I like it!...I really like it. What do the rest of you think?

...and more importantly...how are the rest of you doing? hangin' in there?

• alcesalces Rookie 189 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    35. Jan 10, 2008 11:05 AM (in response to irish_hoodlum)

Finishers sounds good to me. I also have day 3 tomorrow! Unfortunately my 30 degree weather is going back into single digits so I'm going to have to jump back on the treadmill (just not as fun as the real thing). Welcome to the new people to the group!!!! We are all here for you if you need us. Hope everyone is still super positive about this whole running thing, you're all doing great!

Drew

• crackrjack Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    36. Jan 10, 2008 11:14 AM (in response to alcesalces)

I don't know about you all, but logging in twice just to post is getting a little ridiculous.

Did W3D1 yesterday, and today is my day "off" (thank goodness, it is raining like crazy).  It was hard, but  I made it.  -A little tip for those headed this direction - DO NOT think about how long you are running, just keep running until it is time to quit.  The first three min.  I kept thinking about how long it was and how it was really hard and I almost didn't make it.  But on the second set, I made myself  pay attention to anything but the time, and it went by much easier. 

Jan 4, 2008
    37. Jan 10, 2008 1:26 PM (in response to alex246)

what do you mean having to log in twice? I just signed up to the active.com and only have to log in once now.

Jan 4, 2008
    38. Jan 10, 2008 3:57 PM (in response to alex246)

FYI... Ok guys, just wanted to throw the obvious out there to everyone ( seeing as I used to be an athlete in a former life)... With week one closing up for everyone, remember one of the most important things we can do right now is stretching!!! Our legs aren't used to this, and a lot of the time you have underdeveloped muscles in your shins and calfs that lead to such wonderful things as shin splints! If you keep everything stretched and loose, you will help prevent any setbacks to any of your goals. So stretch, eat well, drink tons of water, and keep on with the workout!!!! Great job so far in week one!!!

Drew

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Jan 10, 2008 4:08 PM (in response to alex246)

Hey There Everyone!  You guys have such a good, positive C25K group and it sounds like everyone is doing really well.  Keep at it.  You will not believe how much you will amaze yourself!  Get ready.

• Michael. Community Moderator 516 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    40. Jan 10, 2008 4:29 PM (in response to EIgirl)

Juststarted is right. You have all made the move to escape the couch of doom. You will look back after graduating the program and see how far you came. It is really one of the best feelings I have had........Hmmmmm, that and getting married to my wife

Mike

Jan 9, 2008
    41. Jan 10, 2008 6:35 PM (in response to crackrjack)

I've only had to log in once, I have this link bookmarked.  I'm not too fond of the thread formatting.  Thanks for the tip on the 3 minute, while running, I set a focal point to reach, like a particular mailbox, car etc.  This has helped me a good bit.

Finishers is Good I like that, for those of us losing weight, we could be great Losers as well.

Tomorrow morning I will start day 3.  I'm not sore today,  no problem with shins, maybe it's because I play tennis on hard courts.

If anyone ever wants to chat or drop by to say hi, complain, cry etc.,  you can IM me on Yahoo at tennisthemenace63.  

• beachbum724 Pro 217 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    42. Jan 10, 2008 7:20 PM (in response to dimpelz)

dimplez- that is the PERFECT name for us-  because we are all going to FINISH these 9 weeks, together!

no man left behind!  I like it.  The Finishers.  You got my vote.

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP YOU IS YOU!

Started C25K the first time January 2008

Jingle Bell Run December 5, 2009 5K 40:15

Completed C25K January 3, 2010 running 3 miles in 39 minutes

started program again January 21,2012 on my own

Started with a local group in April 2012

Completed C25K with a local running group 6-8-12

Miles for Smiles 5K to be run on 6-15-12

Jan 9, 2008
    43. Jan 11, 2008 7:18 AM (in response to beachbum724)

Mornin' folks, I completed the third day without any issues, it actually seemed a bit easier on my limbs, but I still get a little winded. I wonder if there is a breathing exercise when running.  Such as inhale/exhale every three steps...I dunno.  I walked an extra 20 minute too!  I feel great and going to down my water now.  I definitely think stretching before and after is imperative.  I actually ran a little over 60 seconds today, in some intervals.  I'll take a break tomorrow and play some doubles, then start the second week regimen if I feel up to it on Sunday, or I may repeat day 3, we'll see.   I'm sure I'll be "tired" by afternoon.  I weigh myself Monday morning, so we'll see if I accomplished any weight loss this past week.

Jan 4, 2008
    44. Jan 11, 2008 7:20 AM (in response to alex246)

OK "Finishers", we should all be getting ready to finish week one! Let's make it a good one, and then we can make our next step to week two!!! Hopefully everyone is still going strong with no injuries or illnesses. I'm still coughing through my workouts, but I refuse to let that stop me. So good luck on day 3 everyone and we'll see you for week two!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...