Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15908 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2008 12:51 AM by pcrunner RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2008 2:09 PM

Katie Holmes Back At It And Headed To Beantown

Katie Holmes, 29, has received yet another exemption for her celebrity status and will run in the Boston Marathon on April 21 despite her performance in the New York City Marathon on November 4. Holmes finished the 26.2-mile race in NYC in just under 5 hours and 30 minutes, placing her 34,193rd out of 39,085 entrants. I am by no means saying this is still not a major accomplishment, but in order to actually qualify, like the majority, for Boston she would need to subtract about 2 hours from her time. To qualify for her age group, Holmes would have needed to finish a previous marathon in 3 hours and 40 minutes or less.  I believe she has been training and will be better prepared for Boston then she was for NYC, but the whole thing just annoys me. I'm going to guess she'll come in around 4 hours and 30 minutes.  I've heard Boston is physically a bit tougher then NYC, but with training and experience I think she'll improve by about an hour maybe less.

What do you think about her running it? Any bets on what time she'll cross the finish line?

• Erin in AZ Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    1. Jan 16, 2008 9:08 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Katie Holmes Back At It And Headed To Beantown

I think it stinks! Running the Boston marathon is an EARNED achievement for committed runners who have dreamed of running with some of the best. Sure, she's training....but the point is, everyone knows you need to QUALIFY for Boston. Why should she be automatically "entitled" to run with this dedicated, deserving group of runners, simply becuase she's a celebrity!?

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jan 17, 2008 7:36 AM (in response to saraallent)

While I'm sure she gets an exemption and doesn't take any other runner's spot, I think it's a bad move for her to pick Boston.  Boston is "special", for lack of a better word", and I think this will backfire in terms of PR (no, not "personal record" ) since she is so far from qualifying based on merit.  She would probably have been better off picking LA, Chicago, Marine Corp, etc. if she wanted to run a different marathon.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jan 17, 2008 8:53 AM (in response to saraallent)

I hope this translates in the way I intend it but it makes me feel sad for her.  I grew up hearing about Boston from my dad who had serious talent and qualified many times for boston but for some reason never went. ( I'm sure it was because he ran a business and had six kids at home.  He gave everything to us instead.)  He knew what an accomplishment is was to qualify and that many, many runners work hard for and dream about running that "special" (as Jay said) race.  When he talked about Boston I could feel how he felt about it, so much reverence and excitement.  Well, my dad has now passed away and guess what?!  I have worked really hard and I get the supreme priviledge this April of not only running THE BOSTON MARATHON but I also get to fulfill a dream for him.  My story is pretty special to me but I'm sure there are lots os pretty special stories that will cross that finish line and can you imagine what it would be like for Katie to say "Oh, I just felt like doing it, so somebody let me because I'm famous."   I really hope there's more to it than that but who knows.  It doesn't concern me about the way she got in and I applaud any runner but what would it mean to her years from now when the celebrity is gone and she realizes that it just got handed to her on a platter.  Yes, she's putting in miles but Rosie Ruiz put in some serious effort to "plan" her Boston too.

• Hungerrun Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    5. Jan 18, 2008 11:28 AM (in response to saraallent)

Wow! After all of the comments about her entry and finish at NY, I am really surprised she has been allowed to enter into Boston.  It is truly a sad day in running when anyone can enter a race because of their status.  The awesome thing about running is that everyone can do it, if they choose to.  The sport has never been about who you are in society or anything else.  Its about endurance, stamina, and perserverance.  Boston, honors those who run and run really well.  Its the top way for everyday people to compete and test their ability outside of Olymp[ic running.  Katie does not meet any of the qalities that Boston serves to celebrate.  It is down right pathetic, spolied and contradictory to use celberity status to enter into the race.  She might finish.  But she does not derserve the bragging right rights that go along with the medal.

Why not keep running/training and actually work at qualifying for the race?  I run marathons.  I am not fast.  But I can identify with how difficult it is to run and qualify for Boston.  To all of those runners who have/will qualify for Boston Congratulations and have great race.  Perhaps you will run past Katies and let her know how underserving she is to be with such an elite group of runners.

• sgray Pro 96 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    6. Jan 18, 2008 6:23 PM (in response to saraallent)

I know this seems like a really unfair thing, but....Boston hands out exemptions for alot of people.  Charity runners get exemptions.  The Massachusetts Army and Air National Guard get exemptions.  Local Civil Servants get exemptions.  The race director reserves the right to exempt anyone in.  I know that Katie Holmes doesn't qualify as any of the above mentioned, but the point is that, not everyone running Boston got in by qualifying, and just because they are running Boston under "exempt entry status", that doesn't mean they should feel bad about running.  Personally, I wouldn't run Boston unless I qualified, and I don't see that happening unless I manage to keep my current pace until I am 65.  I don't fault anyone for wanting to run this historic and prestigious race, and if Katie Holmes running Boston brings publicity and good press to our sport, then I say good luck to her.

• JR007 Amateur 51 posts since
    Nov 18, 2007
    7. Jan 19, 2008 11:35 AM (in response to sgray)

There's a rumor floating around that she cheated in the NYC marathon.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jan 19, 2008 4:37 PM (in response to JR007)
    JR007 wrote:

There's a rumor floating around that she cheated in the NYC marathon.

Well, she did wear an MP3 player, but let's not go there...

Her rep says she is not running Boston.

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    9. Jan 20, 2008 5:19 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Jay's right.  If you google Katie Holmes and the Boston Marathon, a couple sites come up claiming she is not running.   And if she were, it's not just her spot that is going to someone who didn't qualify, her bodyguard(s) also get spots that he/she/they might not have earned.   Having once worked in the insanse film business, it is highly uncommon for a celebrity of her status (and the status of her whack job husband) to go into a highly crowded public place/event without a bodyguard or two or three (depending on the level of paranoia/ego).   I admit that I'm bitter because even though, so far, I've run only one marathon (the Marine Corps), but that's one more than Katie had run prior to her appearance at the NY Marathon.  And my  MCM time was 5:28:35 and I was 48 (two months from turning 49), not 29!   Did I mention I was bitter?  

• Currently Being Moderated
    10. Jan 21, 2008 2:46 PM (in response to lahrunner)

Good for you Lahrunner! I am running my 1st marathon this Sunday in Miami. I am also 48 and hope to finish near your MCM time.Any tips?

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    11. Jan 21, 2008 3:48 PM (in response to sboca )

Just try to relax, enjoy and pace yourself.  It's easy to get caught up in the excitement at the start of the race and go out to fast.  And cut yourself some slack.  My plan was to run the full 26.2 miles, but I changed my plan at mile 13 and started taking minute walk breaks at each mile.    The water/gatorade stations are also a good opportunity to take a walk break.   To a paraphrase a quote from John Bingham, author of my marthon training bible ("Marathoning for Mortals),  "The miracle isn't that you finished, but had the courage to start!"   You've done the training, put in the miles, you'll do fine on Sunday!   Have fun!

• smholak Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 10, 2008
    12. Jan 23, 2008 9:25 AM (in response to saraallent)

On one hand, I'm not going to fret about the exception; celebrity privlege is nothing new, and really, who cares what she does?  Life's stressful enough.

On the other hand, I remember the pain of my closest Boston qualifying miss -- I ran a 3:12 when I needed a 3:10, back when I had more time to train properly and had a younger body that recovered faster.  I've come to terms that I will never run Boston unless I bandit -- which I won't do since I respect the sport too much.  The BAA was pretty strict back when it tackled women off of the course, but apparently its integrity is long gone.

• Lauren Dachille Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    13. Jan 23, 2008 3:37 PM (in response to saraallent)

I think it is totally unfair and goes against Boston's reputation\ as a marathon.  The Event Directors sold out in my mind. I like Katie and all, but Let's Get Serious.

• busybeeblogger Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    14. Jan 23, 2008 5:15 PM (in response to saraallent)

Hi... I hate to admit it, but I know this.... and according to her reps... she's not running boston.  

And now come rumors that Mrs. *Tom Cruise *is prepping for yet another grueling run — the famed Boston Marathon

However, it now appears that those stories are nothing but wishful dreaming on the part of the editors of faltering tabloid Us Weekly.

"Katie Holmes is not running in the Boston Marathon," her spokeswoman Ina Treciokas tells OK! exclusively.

So yeah... the reps could be lying, but considering all the flack she'd get, I doubt she'd do it.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...