Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1390 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2008 6:03 AM by mr.bill RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2008 3:49 PM

Are you for or against calories being listed on menus?

Are you for or against calories being listed on menus? I was pondering this question earlier after reading an article about how The New York City Board of Health is pushing yet again for major fast-food chains to post calorie information directly on their menu boards. The hope is that the requirement will curb obesity and simultaneously force chains to consider healthier options. You can find more information about this topic by reading the article NYC pushes again to get calories on menus. There are tons of different opinions on this issue and I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Personally, I don't eat a lot of fast food and when I do I like to think I know what I'm getting myself into. Therefore, I don't think seeing the calories for each item would bother me and if it helps the fight against obesity I am all for it. I would also hope that it would force fast-food chains to take a better look at what they are serving and how they can alter the current menu to make it healthier. If we're lucky, they might even create additional options for those that are health conscious. I would vote for it in fast-food chains, but against it if it were to expand to all restaurants.

What do you think? Would you vote for or against the requirement? Do you think it will force people to eat less? Do you think it will force chains to offer healthier options? Would you personally want to see calories listed on menus?

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Active Sara wrote:

What do you think? Would you vote for or against the requirement? Do you think it will force people to eat less? Do you think it will force chains to offer healthier options? Would you personally want to see calories listed on menus?

While my initial opinion is that calorie listings should not be required by law, I would certainly like to see them on the menu.  I would probably be more likely to eat at a restaurant that did let me know how many calories I would be eating and I think I might even enjoy the dining experience more.  Listings would also let people know what the healthy options are (it's not always obvious) and probably make sure that there are at least some low-cal items available at the restaurant if there aren't already.

• jiamm14 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007

What a lot of people don't realize, is you have to look outside your own bubble. Of course runners and athletes  know what they're getting into with fast food. High calories for a small serving , supersized calories for a supersized serving, we're aware. But many low income neighborhoods have significantly larger access to fast food chains. On some stretches in upper Manhattan, you can find 2 Mcdonalds, 2 Dunkin donuts etc. within a quarter mile on the same street. You can eat a meal for $5, and many people just don't understand that many of the "healthier" looking choices have major pitfalls that negate any health value. Putting calories on menus is a great way to impart calorie awareness.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    jiamm14 wrote:

But many low income neighborhoods have significantly larger access to fast food chains.

I agree with a lot of your post.  The real problem in many areas actually goes beyond an overabundance of fast food chains.  The true tragedy is that far too many neighborhoods (even in agricultural regions) don't have any access to fresh produce.  They have plenty of burger joints and convenience marts, but no farmers' markets.  I highly recommend reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food if you have an interest in what you are putting in your body.

• mr.bill Pro 300 posts since
    Jul 11, 2007

Hi Sara!

Some of the restaurants by us list the calories, fat, and protein content of their healthier items on their menus.  We love this and wish ALL items had this feature.  That being said, I would be all for it. 

In my opinion, it shows that the restaurant is concerned about it's customers!

url=http://onemoremile.netOne More Mile[/url]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...