Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1454 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2008 2:15 PM by Jim24315 RSS
runlifer08 Pro 181 posts since
Mar 1, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2008 6:50 PM

Marathon Shoes?

hi, so ive run 1 marathon before and i ran it in light-weight trainers but for my second one im looking to run it in something a little lighter.  i have a pair of mizuno revolvers but im afraid they dont have enough cushioning...what kind of shoes should i wear?

Western States 100 2014...See you there.
  • JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    1. Feb 1, 2008 6:28 AM (in response to runlifer08)
    Re: Marathon Shoes?

To some extent it depends on how fast you are.  If you're sub-3, you should be OK in a racing flat, although make sure you see how they feel on a long run first.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Feb 1, 2008 2:15 PM (in response to runlifer08)
    Re: Marathon Shoes?

You probably should go to a runner's store where the sales people are runners themselves, but that being said, I have a couple possiblities:

Saucony Grid Type A - Not a household name, but I like this shoe a lot and have done some long runs on pavement in them that felt great. They are actually a lightweight trainer, but at 9.1 oz they are plenty light enough for racing and have good cushioning.

Asics Gel Bandito Racer - This is a true racing flat, but not super light as racers go at 7.9 oz. It has suprisingly good cushioning and is another that I have tested on long runs--would not hesitate to wear it in a marathon.

Although I agree with JP on most things, I don't agree that it should necessarily be speed that determines whether or not you should wear a light shoe for long races. I checked your profile and see that you are 5' 8" and weigh only 120. Unless you are injury prone I would worry about whether you can break 3 hours. I often wear flats for everyday running which is usually slower the 8-minute pace just because I'm more comfortable in a light shoe. I wore them in my last marthon (3:09) and am 5'9" 140 lbs. Although I had problems during the last 10k it wasn't with my shoes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...