Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

710 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2008 1:43 PM by Jay Silvio RSS
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2008 12:06 PM

Sat. 2/2/08

Let's hear about how it went today.  It's partly cloudy and in the mid 40's here in Maryland.  I ran just over 20 miles this morning at about 6:40 pace.  It was probably my longest run in over 20 years.  I felt a little tight in my legs (I probably should have worn tights, but went out in shorts and a T) so I didn't really push too hard.  I packed a water bottle (full of nuun) and a power bar and I never hit the wall.  A good day to be sure!

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 2, 2008 2:38 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: Sat. 2/2/08

Nice run Jay!  Seems like your training is coming along really well.  Went to spin class for the 3rd consecutive Sat.  Before class I jogged for a 5 min warmup around the indoor track.  The calves felt better.  Should be able to get tomorrow's run in.  Weather here is a few light showers.  Most of the rain will move in tonight, some lingering showers in the morning.  With a little luck I'll have a dry run.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Feb 2, 2008 3:00 PM (in response to Terry4X4)

first of all, Jay!  your avitar picture makes me tired.  you are in pertpetual motion.    Good job on the run.  That's exciting.  Tell me about nuun.  I've never heard of that one.

Terry, good news about your calves.  What is your planned distance for tomorrow?

I ran 10.  Roads were very slick so one can only run so fast.  It felt really good.  Pleasant temps at 12 degrees.  Light dusting of snow.  NO WIND!  YEAH!

Went rock climbing at an indoor gym with my two oldest kids.  Can barely move my arms now.  It's a good hurt!  We had a good time.

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Feb 2, 2008 3:09 PM (in response to jenhirr)

Jen, sounds like you are in much better spirits than a week ago.  The rest must have done you good.  I'm planning on 12 miles tomorrow.

I climbed a rock wall for the first time last Sep on a cruise ship.  It was a blast.  It was fun to take different lines.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Feb 2, 2008 3:27 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Terry, I have spent so much energy focusing on my long runs that when they didn't go well I really struggled.  This rest week and change in focus, along with a couple of good runs have rejuvinated me.  I just hope I can get some good weather next week for a longer run.  Good luck with your 12.

My friend owns a shop called sticks-n-stones.  They sell all kinds of bike, snowboard, and rock climbing gear.  They also have some good walls to climb.  Every once in a while I get to take the kids and climb for free.  I forget how hard it is but I love it.  I would do active stuff all day long if I could get away with it.

• mr.bill Pro 300 posts since
    Jul 11, 2007
    5. Feb 3, 2008 2:39 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Mostly cloudy, 27, feels like 16. Very slippery and slushy on the neighborhood streets on Saturday, but I did manage to get 8 miles in.

Great job you guys!

One More Mile

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...