Skip navigation

36250 Views 138 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 4:48 PM by dutch omi RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Previous Next
  • Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 13, 2008 12:18 PM (in response to fishmagic)
    Re: Why do you still run?

I don't know why, but I didn't realize Boston was in 10 weeks! Good Luck!!!

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • fishmagic Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    16. Feb 13, 2008 12:35 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Thanks, I need it.  Don't know if I'll ever run a spring marathon again.  It's hard to stay on a consistent training routine throughout the winter.

Nov 19, 2007
    17. Feb 13, 2008 12:38 PM (in response to fishmagic)

That seems to be a recurring theme here. I'm sure I will do another spring one. Can't say I will do a third one though. LOL

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    18. Feb 13, 2008 12:47 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run because...

- I really like food! A few years ago, I peaked at about 65 pounds heavier than my current weight. I don't want to ever return to that weight, so I literally and figuratively run my *** off.

- I enjoy it! Which shocked the h*ll out of me when that kicked in because I used to say "cycling is fun; running is exercise". Scratch that wrong-headed notion, they're both fun!

- I like challenging myself. This used to just be "farther", now it's "farther & faster".

- I love to travel. Running events give me an excuse & motivation to visit places I otherwise wouldn't. I enjoy building a trip around a running event while throwing in plenty of time to play tourist. I also enjoy planning & thinking about the trip beforehand.

- I love the excitement of a race and playing with the crowds.

- I get to meet people I never would otherwise.

- expos are fun!

- I love my medals!

- it helps combat boredom.

- I feel better about myself after I've run.

- food and water (or Propel) taste so much better right after a run. Fruit takes the biggest leap.

- it's a great stress-reducer! I've had some of my best runs on days where I just felt like "aaahhh!"

- it helps me clear my head.

(I just discovered that the edit box thing doesn't have a vertical scrollbar, so I'm thinking that's a sign I'm done with this message.)

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    19. Feb 13, 2008 7:07 PM (in response to MCM Ron)

MCM Ron wrote:

I still run because I found -- and it took me many, many years to find this out -- that I love to run!!!

OK, I gave you guys my top reason, but really there are so many reasons -- many the same as those you've all been mentioning.  I have one more big one:  to be an example for my kids.  Lincoln, my 8-year-old non-athlete, ran a mile tonight on our treadmill!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• jersey-will Pro 87 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    22. Feb 13, 2008 7:37 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run because I love to run, and I have a 4 1/2 year old to keep up with. At my age that's an accomplishment in and of it self. Plus running is my  alone time.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Feb 14, 2008 7:11 AM (in response to jersey-will)

At this point? Because I'm too darn stubborn to quit. Ever. Jimmy's got me down for 5 miles today, and they'll have to be on the treadmill, because what isn't water and slush out there is ice. And I live at the bottom of a hill. There's gonna be treadmill-like action either way, so I might as well run on the indoor one!

Also, I get the distinct impression that if Jimmy could have emailed me a straw, he would have.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Feb 14, 2008 10:13 AM (in response to thefirecat)

Re: Why do you still run?http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/lcriscuolo/fat_straws.jpg[/IMG]  Here you go Sara.  (My 1st attempt to post photo on this board. Will it work?)

Chocolate is very nice.
    Dec 14, 2007

Drat! So how DO you post photos on this board? I tried the bottom choice for sharing in photo bucket.

Chocolate is very nice.
    Nov 19, 2007

You don't have to do all of that here. Just chose the little icon next to the A that looks like a picture. Then you click the upload picture and browse to waht you want. They actually made it simpler for us!

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

It's ok, I clicked on the link.

So........I followed The Jimmy's schedule, because he's so matter of fact about it, and ran five miles. On the dreadmill. And then stretched and iced my shins. Stupid shin splints. Stupid not-training-properly Sara.

On the plus side? I feel great from the knees up.

(on the minus side, while I was at the gym I got on the scale.)

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Nov 19, 2007
    28. Feb 14, 2008 10:25 AM (in response to thefirecat)

Congrats on running!! I'm going to do that tonight! I can't take it anymore and this whole diagnosis thing is taking to long. Besides the Radiologist said, don't run TODAY! I'm taking his advice! Oh nd I got my scale. I think I'm going to cry! LMAO

Dec 14, 2007
    29. Feb 14, 2008 10:26 AM (in response to thefirecat)

Gym scales are notoriously inaccurate. Just testing Holly's photo instructions. This is Cupcake.

Chocolate is very nice.
1 2 3 4 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points