Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1602 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2008 4:21 PM by Slow Feet
c160474 Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 16, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 16, 2008 12:56 PM

how do i start running when i was told i have excercise induced asthma?

I was a very good runner before I joined the Navy but I was give another sailor's shots because we have the same last name.  I had an allergic reaction and became very sick.  After boot camp, I went to my training school medical clinic and found out I had lung damage from the phomiea I had in boot camp.  I was force to take a different job because of it, which made me lose all sign on bonuses.  I was not able to running without wheezing like a train.  The longest I could go is almost three minutes, and the longest distance I could go is a 1/4 or 1/2 mile depending on the weather.  Hot weather isn't good but in cold weather I last longer, which is weird for me, I hated cold weather as a kid.   My lungs are stronger and healthier but I haven't been always to exercise the last four years, I have gained alot of weight.  The last year, I have been I have kept my calories under 1800.   I need help starting from sketch.   I hate being overweight.  I have started weight training this past month but to be honest I am nervous about running again.  I found out the hard way that  I had EIA.  I was a 7 mile run, about 3 miles in my chest felt like it was on fire and then boom, out like a light.  Woke up with a chief over me about to give CPR, glad I did, he was cute but didn't want that.  The school commander wanted be out but I had too much at risk. 

Well, for now I am just walking but I want to return to running. I was enjoying it before I was sick.  Not being able to run or swim within navy standard is very embarrasing, especially after other sailors and marines would hear my son talk about how he would rides his bike when I was running and he couldn't keep up.  They would ask me if it was true and I would say yes, then they would give me I don't believe you look.  It made my son upset.

I need to start again but I just don't know where to start.  If anyone has any experience similiar or any real solid advice which I can get started sunday it would be very helpfull.

sara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...