Skip navigation

2468 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 25, 2008 12:50 PM by Lisa M. Wolfe RSS
JMarrocco Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 18, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2008 5:53 PM

Best way to go about starting off...

Hello everyone!  I am new to running.  I love the outdoors and want to participate in a leisure sport that I can enjoy alone or with friends.  I am in Boulder, CO and so far haven't had trouble finding friends to run with but I do not have the endurance they do yet - and don't want to push myself to fast.  I have been searching around for a good endurance program (I am pretty petite and tend to start bulking easily) with slenderizing effects that I could do 4-5 times a week?  You read about so many, but with my REC pass I want to utilize the gym as much as possible!  These seems like a really supportive team- thanks so much ladies!

• Lisa M. Wolfe Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 25, 2008 12:50 PM (in response to JMarrocco)
    Re: Best way to go about starting off...

Hello and Congratulations on finding something that you're interested in!  I have 18 years of experience in the fitness industry, including being a certified trainer.  I also have a degree in exercise science and am the author of six fitness books.

If you'd like to build your endurance in an indoor setting, you have a lot of options.  The best way to approach is with variety.  Use all the machines that are available to you.  Also, an interval type of training will increase your endurance.

For example, after a warm-up begin on a treadmill at a comfortable walking pace for 3 minutes. Follow this with 1 1/2 minutes of running close to your top speed.  Slow it back down for 3 minutes, then increase again for 1-1/2 minutes. Continue in this manner for 20-30 minutes.  On another day, or if you're able to go longer, use a bike and follow the same principal- comfortable speed, then almost to  maximum, then back down to comfortable.  This type of training can be used on stair machines, rowing machines, elliptical trainers, even climbing stairs.

I hope this helps!  If you have any questions, please visit my web-site www.lisamwolfe.com 

Good luck and stay healthy!

Lisa

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points