Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1384 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2008 9:40 PM by Dredog RSS
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2008 10:16 AM

Fri. 2/22/08: Just Running in the (freezing) Rain!

A light dusting of snow last night followed by freezing rain this morning was enough for most local school systems to cancel school today in the DC metro area.  Forecasts here in Frederick called for as much as half an inch of ice by the end of the day today, so I decided to go out mid-morning before the weather got really bad.  I bundled up and went out into a fine drizzle that pretty much froze on contact since it was 30 degrees.  I put in 10 miles at a controlled pace and had a blast slipping and sliding around.  My shades froze over (I had put in the red lenses for good snow contrast) and my jacket got covered in a hard shell of ice despite the good sweat I had going.  I wore a band around my right knee and that seems to be working; I felt some minor tightness, but no pain.  I was more concerned about tightness in my left hamstring.  Anyway, the run went well and I learned that running gloves don't insulate very well when they are frozen solid and it's hard to untie shoe laces when they are encased in ice.  Gotta' love Maryland's winter weather; 50-70 degrees one week and snow and freezing rain the next!

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Ok so I have to admit that even though I planned to ride my bike last night, I didn't.  Couldn't get my can off the couch after putting the kids to bed.  It's a good thing I didn't though.  My friend called and said they were doing a 14 this morning so I quickly changed my plans and went with them.  It was very cold and very windy but I finally did it!!!!  I got in my first 20  miler of the year.  Pace was slow but not too bad for the conditions and the timing.  It's so nice to get that mental block behind me.  Oh, we finally have some clear roads.  It's awesome.  On my run this morning though, we ran past a farm road that we run sometimes and there is easily 8 feet on snow down it the whole way through to the highway (about 2 miles).  It was fun to see.  Next weekend the highs should be in the 40's.  I'm sure there is going to be some flooding and lots of messes.

Jay, that ice sounds crazy.  I don't wear shades since I run when it's dark but when it's really wet and cold like that my eyelashes freeze.  Good job, it's kind of fun sometimes to have the weird weather.  I !!!HATE!!! the wind though, it makes me cranky.

I plan to recover in the pool in the morning and do nothing on Sunday., except maybe some stretching.  Should be a good weekend.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

You guys are studs.....

OK, Jen...."studette"....(smiles)

7 miles, 4 easy, 3 at tempo pace.

On the treadmill in our basement gym. 

(smiles)

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I'm back from Death Valley, we had a great trip.  Sounds like you guys have made progress in the last week.  Jen, congrats on your 20 miler, that's awesome.  Jay, sounds like your knee does okay with the strap.  And what woke Dave up?  LOL  Over the past week I've been still fighting this cold.  Fortunately this week is a recovery week so the running was light.  On Sunday I did a 5:00 a.m. 6 miles which is unheard of for me.  I prefer running in the late mornings and early afternoons.  It was cool in the low 30's in the desert.  But I got the run in before our group met at 8:00 a.m. for our 4X4 adventure that day.  On Tues we were in Reno, NV and I did 4 miles on the treadmill at the hotel.  On Wed I was suppose to do another 4 miles but I was still fighting this cold and had a constant dry hack so I cancelled the run.  This morning I got up at 6:30 to run and heard something outside.  It was raining pretty hard.  So I went to the gym and got in 4 miles on the treadmill.  Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the spin class and Sunday's schedule calls for 16 miles and there is rain in the forecast.

• Dredog Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 12, 2008
    5. Feb 22, 2008 7:26 PM (in response to Terry4X4)
    Re: Fri. 2/22/08: Just Running in the (freezing) Rain!

You guys are ANIMALS!!!  That snow and ice sounds crazy.  Right on...  I just ran 2 miles this evening, it was too dark and scary out to do my usual loop.  I could have gone longer, but will hold out till tomorrow.  A couple of 5ks are coming up in March that I want to sign up for.  And I really want to do Pats Run, but I think that's in April.  Pat Tillman was a pretty big deal out here, I'm pretty exited to be a part of it. 

Terry, how was your trip to Death Valley???  Did you run into the rain in the beginning of your trip and deal with mud the rest of the time, or did you escape the storms?

C-ya tomorrow!

-Andrea

• lisa83044 Expert 63 posts since
    Jun 20, 2007

Hey Everyone!!

So... I'm going to work on keeping up on my training record a little better. I walked a mile with the dog. I wanted to run, but it wasn't working so we worked on heel. He is still having trouble with it since we had so many days sub zero and didn't walk. I'm a bad owner for not walking him on those days, but it was just too cold. This weekend is supposed to be nice, so Jack and i can finally spend sometime outside. My hubby and I joined Judo in town here and have been doing that on wed, fri and sun. It is alot of fun, but with work and trying to get these darn school applications out I have been squeezing my run out  a lot!

I am going to set up my workout schedule for next week today.

Glad your getting better jay, Terry hope your sniffles go away soon. Jen, I hope your house starts to get better soon too.

Have a great weekend!!!

Lisa

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Feb 23, 2008 2:23 PM (in response to Dredog)
    Re: Fri. 2/22/08: Just Running in the (freezing) Rain!

We were very fortunate with the weather in Death Valley.  During the day highs were reaching the 70's and it was cool in the mornings.  We had bright sunshine the first two days and some high clouds on Monday.  The first day on trail (Sat) we had 14 vehicles, a mix of Jeeps, Toyotas, and one Ford Bronco.  The trail we ran was called the Escape Trail because back in 1850 two families were running low on supplies.  They hired two guides to get them out of Death Valley as quickly as possible.  Traveling with the families was Father Fish.  By then Father Fish had as much as he could stand of Death Valley.  He was very anxious to reach civilization.  As the group approached this particular ridge Father Fish was certain he would see civilization at the top.  When they reached the top all they saw was more miles and miles of desolation.  The story goes that Father Fish was so disappointed he collapsed in despair and died on the spot.  The trail we ran into Death Valley is the trail they used to come out.  Father Fish's gravesite is a short hike from the trail.  He died on Feb 15th 1850 and we were there on Feb 16th 2008! 

Dredog wrote:

Terry, how was your trip to Death Valley???  Did you run into the rain in the beginning of your trip and deal with mud the rest of the time, or did you escape the storms?

C-ya tomorrow!

-Andrea

Jul 9, 2007

We were thinking about the Badwater Ultra on Monday and the 13,000' of vertical climb.  We drove approx 100 of the 135 mile course on the way out to Lone Pine.

• Dredog Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 12, 2008

That's the coolest story, what a trip you were there the same time of year!  He really would have hated that place in the middle of summer!  Glad you didn't run in to foul weather, it could have been a mudfest!  Good to have you back!

-Andrea

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...