Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2376 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2008 2:27 AM by Back in the Saddle RSS
homeskoolyZ Rookie 62 posts since
Jan 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2008 9:47 AM

Running a Marathon

How fast do you have to finish in order to have "run" the marathon?  I think 4:00 is a reasonable cut off.

• weissjaz Rookie 8 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    1. Apr 9, 2008 2:49 PM (in response to homeskoolyZ)
    Re: Running a Marathon

Running is a relative term. I ran/walked my first marathon (Maui 07) and was thrilled with a 5:09 finish time. The fact I made it to the end, and was willing and able to run again by the end of that week, was all that I wanted.  Next "race" is Ogden in May and I all I hope for is under 5 hours.  I "run" for fun, fitness, and friends; that is enough for me.

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    2. Apr 10, 2008 12:24 PM (in response to weissjaz)

That's an interesting question. I think everyone that runs the majority of the race deserves to be able to say they ran the marathon. I think it's a huge accomplishment to also be able to say you walked a marathon. Not everyone can say they've done that. I don't know that I'd give a time as a cut off. I might call under 4:00 something else...

• Tutman52 Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 26, 2007
    3. Jun 4, 2008 1:14 PM (in response to homeskoolyZ)

I think I would agree that "running" a marathon is a relative term!  That is probably why marathon organizers tend to prefer the term "finisher".  How ever you finish a marathon is an accomplisment.  I believe special credit ought to be given to those who are not naturally talented and are brave enough to opt to do a marathon, walking or running the whole thing.  So if they finish marathons, then they are marathon finishers.  Not everyone can do that.   If you want to be more than a mere finisher, than go for it and get a good finish time and brag about that all you want.  I was very thrilled to be a finisher, but now I want to do better than that.   I never will I look down on anyone who finishes them however they did them.

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    4. Sep 2, 2008 2:27 AM (in response to homeskoolyZ)

I have both "run" and "walked" a marathon- and to say that I finished was all that I really cared about in the end... Yes, there are always the elite, or even the fast, runners. But I think that there must, in everything, be a balance. To finish a marathon in 6 hours may mean more to that person that severely struggled than that person who breezed out a 3:20. It is an accomplishment to have finished a marathon- period.  At the end of the day, only an elite few receive awards, the rest of us receive the title "Finisher", regardless of finish time. So I guess that I'm trying to say that if my grandma told me she ran a marathon and I know full well she walked it- I would still be just as proud of her.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...