Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14629 Views 116 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2008 2:15 AM by Bob Scamman RSS 1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2008 9:29 AM

50 Plus March Running and Racing

Saturday March 1

AM Jogging 1 hour, basketball 2 hours.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 1, 2008 11:22 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus March Running and Racing

Hi Fred; that was quite a workout you had to close out February

Friday - 12 at 8:30 on grass loop

Saturday - 4 at 8:40 on track

Cancelled key 10-mile race being run this morning; just not up to making the 4-hous drive. Gastro intestinal problems have continued to plague me but have managed to stay in good running shape. Might try low key 10k tomorrow morning that's closer to home.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Mar 1, 2008 4:22 PM (in response to Jim24315)

At the risk of boring everyone to death with this stuff, I finished Feb. with a 50 / 50 mix of running and skiing.  117 miles in Feb and 179 total miles on skis this winter.

Year to date miles is 243, which isn't much, but better than last year.  Chomping at the bit to start running in earnest, just waiting on ol' man winter to get out'a the way...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Mar 2, 2008 2:37 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, I have 18 miles on the road, two on the treadmill, and lots of yards and minutes in the pool for the first two months of 2008.  You win.  Two is my treadmill limit for the year, so I'm checking that block.  I was finally able to enjoy some road time after a snow, yesterday.   Temps will approach 60 degrees Monday and I'm hoping the paths will soon be runnable.  I miss the trails most of all.

Jim,  is that the same esophogial issue you had a while ago?  It's so strange to look out the window here and think of you running a 10k.  I look forward to reading your report.

Fred thanks for starting the new month.  Do you ever have mere mortal soreness after those workouts? 

Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 2, 2008 2:25 PM (in response to euphoric)

Stop it Rich! I'm always anxious to see how your training is coming along. You are one of my favorite posters.  I'll be almost as happy as you will when you finally get that BQ. Are you going to key for Covered Bridges HM and Clarence Delmar again this year? It won't be long until you are back on the road again.

Thanks Euphie; yes it's the ol' esophagus again with a kicker from the upper stomach. I have a hiatal hernia plus another little goodie called "Schatzki's ring". I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago where they took a biopsy and stretched it (they call it "dialating"). The good news is that there were no tumors or infection, and the bad news is that I haven't gotten the relief I was hoping for. There has been some progress though, albeit slow. I look forward to seeing you back on the trails soon. You'll get there!

I did drive down to Golden Gate Park to run the Windmill 10k, and what a nice surprise it was. It was an absolutely beautiful morning and I felt pretty good too. The starting line was only about 400 meters from the bay. You could see the waves rolling in as you ran towards the finish. I'm guessing there about 200 runners, and the race was very well organized. The $5 entry fee was one of the greatest bargains you'll ever find. They had plenty to eat drink, and there were very nice medals for the first 3 in each age group.  The course was a straight out and back inside the park on the same road that is part of the SF Half Marathon. The first 5k is away from the ocean on a moderate upgrade that really made me work for my 20:32 split. I thought my chances for sub-40 were out the window, but I didn't realize that the upgrade I described as "moderate" was more like moderate-plus. I ended up running 19:07 for the return 5k with the last 2 miles in 12:10. What a rush it was running back towards the ocean and finally cross the finish in 39:38. If the rest of my day goes anywhere close to this well I will be one happy ol' dude.

Dec 10, 2007
    5. Mar 2, 2008 6:24 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Euphoric, it seems to me the worst is behind you with this injury, now it's just a question of easing back into running. You're on your way back, a smarter runner and stronger than ever...

Nice 10K Jim, the course sounds beautiful.  And what a registration price, what'd they do, give you a senior discount ? 

I'm registered for the Vermont covered bridges half marathon in June and will probably run the Clarence DeMar marathon in Sept. as well.   Qualifying for Boston isn't that high a priority any more, but I think it'll happen if I keep logging the miles.

I hate to keep posting this skiing stuff, but with today's 25 mph winds, I stayed off the roads and skied again, 6 miles.  Hey, I wonder if I could qualify for the Olympics in skiing...  

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Mar 2, 2008 10:57 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich,

I think the skiing is great. If I had to make it through the kind of winters you do I'd be doing it too.

"I wonder if I could qualify for the Olympics in skiing.."

Senior Olympics, maybe...

I'm even too old for the seniors now. They call us "super seniors" out here when you reach 60.

(the smileys aren't working tonight--login problems have gotten worse too; Joe seems to be coming around less and less )

Aug 14, 2007
    7. Mar 3, 2008 4:01 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Rich, the worst was always "behind" me, so to speak.  I did 2 miles on the road this morning and I'll go over to the pool for another 40 minutes.  I hope you'll continue to be "smart" while you work to qualify for Boston.

Jim, you are a super senior.  Also, I haven't had any trouble logging in.  Could it have something to do with your ISP or the time you are using the site?

Dec 10, 2007
    8. Mar 3, 2008 3:33 PM (in response to euphoric)

I did a 3 mile out and back run today, 6 total. The weather was perfect.  Was "zipping" right along and feeling good about my pace on the way out, but hit a headwind when I turned around and it spoiled my fun.   Pace was high 8's, with 5 x 100 strides the last mile.

Euph, I try to be smart, but sometimes enthusiasm gets in the way.   I hope you didn't take that "smarter runner" comment the wrong way, I meant it as a compliment.

Yeah Jim, lots of people have disappeared from here lately, including JP.   Hopefully it's just temporary...

• oguzkesimli Amateur 78 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Mar 4, 2008 1:25 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

I also have the login problem discussed in http://community.active.com/thread/41841 . After the error message, I navigate back to Coolrunning Community page and it lets me in. I hope they will fix it before we lose more posters.

Congrats Jim. You are an inspiration.

This weekend, I entered a 10K race as well. I admit that I did not race it. After starting timidly @8 for 15 min, I cruised sub7 for the rest- 44:45 finishing time. It is nice to feel the race wind in the face again.

• oguzkesimli Amateur 78 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Mar 4, 2008 3:55 AM (in response to oguzkesimli)

I was filmed at the race weekend. A film making crew shooting marathon documentaries in different countries, asked the woman marathoner of my club to be filmed during the marathon race; no, she is not elite level, her best being 4hr02min. As her advisor-coach, I was also asked questions about her training and attitude.

Aug 14, 2007
    11. Mar 4, 2008 4:59 AM (in response to oguzkesimli)

Just back from the pool.   No impact day, just DWR for an hour.

Great photo.  It's always nice to match a name to a face.

Rich, make me the enthusiasm poster child and be careful and smart.  What marathon(s) are you planning to run to qualify?

As for site problems.  I navigate to the forum, read, and then log in only if I decide to reply.  I don't know if that makes any sense or difference, but it always works for me.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    14. Mar 4, 2008 12:41 PM (in response to fred-urie)

After running exactly one mile for February, I'm starting to think there's hope that I'll be on the roads again soon. Taking some suggestions from euphie, I tried some hamstring-specific exercises this morning and there was no pain at all, not even on the leg-curl machine where you lie prone and lift weights with your ankles. So that's a good sign since I definitely couldn't do that right after the original injury.

Now there's another issue that I've had before. I've consciously (or sub-consciously) started favoring my left leg, which throws off my gait, and then all sorts of bad things happen as I'm sure you know. After my short run yesterday, today the muscles on the front of my shins are sore as **** for no logical reason other than that I have to re-learn how to run!

At least fred just keeps going, and going, and going...

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...