Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

579 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2007 10:40 AM by DaveVause RSS
NSomyoo_tntil Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2007 1:44 PM

Back to training, need help

I ran Disney Marathon in January. I was totally burned out from running after that and I am just now starting back running after about 2 months of being a slacker. Running is so hard for me now. Before I trained for Disney I was at a 730-8min mile. Running is so much harder and I cant even break a 9 min mile now. I want to traing for 5k's and I want to get my time down but it seems so difficult, more difficult than ever now. Any suggestions?

• TriBaby140.6 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 28, 2007 5:12 PM (in response to NSomyoo_tntil)
    Re: Back to training, need help

You stated that you've been slacking since Disney. This means your training level has regressed. Did you start, way back in the beginning, running 7-8 minute miles for distance? I'm guessing not. Even though you've gone the distance, you still need to keep up the training to expect to keep the pace.

Start over with short midweek runs and LSD on the weekends. Build it up to where your midweeks are a short run (maybe 3-5 miles) with some speedwork, and core strength training right after. The LSD should be at least 8-12 miles for a base, depending on if you're looking to get back to marathon shape. In any case, I think you need to focus on getting in the mileage and forget about the speed - it comes naturally with the training as long as you're consistent. Good luck

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Mar 29, 2007 10:40 AM (in response to NSomyoo_tntil)
    Re: Back to training, need help

I've run the 05 and 06 Marine Corps Marathons.  Both were the culmination of a year's focused training (I'm 52 and am just returning to fitness).  After each MCM, I had an emotional relaxation/let-down that caused me to reduce my mileage to 1/4 to 1/2 what I was doing leading up to the events.

Once I was back into more serious training, I found that I was substantially stronger than the previous year.  I think that there's a core strength that builds up across a year's training that a couple of months "slack" (we could also call it "rest".

I think that once you go through your initial "re-conditioning", you'll find yourself a stronger, faster runner.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...