Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9023 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 8:43 PM by Waiaka RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • SportStrips Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 24, 2009 6:54 PM (in response to soldierboy)
    Re: GEL and Gatorade

I don't run marathons but I do run 40 miles or so during week. I hate the bloat feeling from Gadorade. Recenly a friend turned me on to enlyten electrolyte strips. I just put the strip between my cheek and gum and within 2-3 minutes its in my bloodstream compared to 30 minutes for Gadorade which goes through my digestive track . I buy them online from a distributor in my gym.  Hope this helps . Let me know if  you need more information.  Good Luck.

Attachments:
  • Nancy Clark RD CSSD Community Moderator 63 posts since
    Jul 8, 2007
    16. Feb 25, 2009 4:37 AM (in response to SportStrips)

People who run 40 miles a week (on average, 8 miles, five days a week) do not need to worry about replacing electrolytes. You undoubtedly get plenty in your standard diet, particularly if you are something salty pre-run (saltines, pretzels, soup, oatmeal with some salt). People who run for more than four hours at one time are the ones who need electrolytes. I suggest you save your money.

Just my two cents!

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Sports nutrition counselor and food/weight coach

Author, Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

www.nancyclarkrd.com

Feb 23, 2009
    17. Feb 25, 2009 5:28 AM (in response to Nancy Clark RD CSSD)

Two cents worth of advice good sometimes! LOL  I agree, I also use during intense games of basketball , tennis.I just using this to replace the Powerade or Gadorade ! use to drink. But I hated the bloat and side effects. Every heard of enlyten Sports strip?  If you have .Your thoughts? Thanks  Clayton

• RunninOnE Pro 74 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    18. Mar 23, 2009 5:42 PM (in response to soldierboy)

Here are my thoughts, and I am not a nutritionist, dietician, or sports physiologist.  Experiment a lot with fueling for long runs, and everyone reacts differently to this stuff.  Brian Sell, an elite Olympic marathoner, mixes gatorade and Red Bull and runs sub-2:15, and I am not about to try that!  And you can train your body to tolerate different things a little bit.  Some triathletes think they can train their bodies to absorb more calories per hour than the body normally does.

I have been able to tolerate the gels and sports drinks in tandem, but I always make a point to rinse my mouth with water.  I don't know what difference it really makes, but it has worked for me.  My dentist has also recommended it   Apparently drinking a quart of gatorade over the course of a long run is bad for your teeth.  Who knew!?

I am a big believer in properly fueling your workout.  I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I have heard that your body burns muscle as well as fat when you hit the road without eating anything.  And there is a lot to be said about not being able to perform up to your potential if you are working without the proper fuel, during a race or workout.  Running demands a lot of the body, and asking your body to perform without the correct amount of energy just doesn't make sense.

Act like a horse.  Be dumb.  Just run.

- Jumbo Elliot

Smile, it confuses people.

Jul 8, 2007
    19. Mar 23, 2009 6:31 PM (in response to RunninOnE)

Yes, fueling before you workout not only enhances the workout but also provides the tools to recover once you stop exercise. That is, that bowl of pre-exercise cereal offers carbs to both fuel and refuel your muscles, as well as protein to protect and build your muscles post exercise -- assuming you have not burned it all off during your workout.

The trick is to experiment to learn what foods settle well, enhance performance and do not "talk back" to you.

My Sports Nutrition Guidebook has abundant advice and food tips about fueling before, during and after exercise.

Nancy Clark MS RS CSSD

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

www.nancyclarkrd.com

• Waiaka Rookie 5 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    20. May 28, 2009 9:58 PM (in response to soldierboy)

Aloha All...

I am doing my first Marathon in Sept...26Miles...I'm excited...I ran a 6 mile charity run in early May and it felt great...

I have been getting this cramp(side under rib) during my training runs.  It seems to happen around the same time every run.  Almost after my 20 min mark.  I don't think it could be from lack of water.  I drink about 2 liters a day if not more.  Also taking in the proper amount of carbs...pretty good breathing rhythm...anybody have any ideas??  Any other suggestions for a first time runner?  Mahalo, Wai

• ragamuffinruns Pro 115 posts since
    Jul 17, 2008
    21. May 30, 2009 9:05 PM (in response to Waiaka)

I don't have the answer but I'm glad you asked the question!!!  I've had the same problem on and off for years, and not just when I am on a run but when engaged in other aerobic activities.  It can be severe enough to make me stop.  but it only happens to me very occasionally - probably because I don't exert myself to that extent too often.  Hope we get an answer soon!!!

To God be the glory!

• Mark W Rice Pro 118 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    22. May 31, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to Waiaka)

While this could be for many reasons, my initial take is that this is because of a higher effort that usual for your body.  The lungs, heart and oxygen supply all need to become more efficient for the high levels of throughput that you are now requesting.  For some who are better than I am, this will occur only at speeds of 5 minutes per mile pace.  For inexperience people, this can occur at 12 minutes per mile. 

My take: Be sure to give your body recovery periods... follow the hard-easy cycle... for each hard training day (hard for your own body and for what it's accustom to) follow it with a very easy training session (a recovery run... or for some, a recovery walk).  Avoid the most common beginner mistake of overdoing it immediately.  This is a very easy mistake because you think you're not working hard, but for your cardio/vascular/oxygen supply/muscle/whatever system, a workout may truley be a strain even at 12 minutes per mile... follow each "more difficult than usual" session with a recovery workout... you will see much faster progress and a lessening of pains and injuries. 

Mark

Jul 8, 2007
    23. May 31, 2009 1:09 PM (in response to SportStrips)

You can save yourself a lot of money by simply eating something salty before you run! Some pretzels, soup, chicken broth, cheese ...

Only runners who are sweating hard for more than 3 or 4 hours really need to worry about electrolytes. The bigger concern is for carbs to fuel the run. A pre-exercise snack such as pretzels and water, or cereal and milk, will offer the carbs and electrolytes (sodium) you need.

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

www.nancyclarkrd.com

• ragamuffinruns Pro 115 posts since
    Jul 17, 2008
    24. Jun 1, 2009 3:18 PM (in response to Mark W Rice)

Thanks Mark That makes sense.

To God be the glory!

• willmck Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    25. Jun 9, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to soldierboy)

Cliff gels are what work the best for me. I think its the fructose in others that bother me. Cliff uses mostly brown rice syrup.

Feb 23, 2009
    26. Jun 9, 2009 8:09 PM (in response to soldierboy)

Im getting great results from Enlyten Electrolyte  Replacement Strips!  Check out the testimonials from runners for yourself!  Need free samples let me know.

http://www.villagesoup.com//sports/story.cfm?storyID=157015     

Attachments:
    May 28, 2009
    27. Jun 9, 2009 10:55 PM (in response to soldierboy)

Mahalo(Thank you) for all your responses.  I will try several different things from now until Sept.  I have an 8k coming up on June 27 so we'll see how that goes.  Aloha

May 28, 2009
    28. Jun 9, 2009 11:02 PM (in response to Mark W Rice)

Thanks Mark.  That is some great advise.  I am really afraid I am not running enough.  I try to run Every mon, wed, Fri and Sat.  I usually run 4-5 miles on mon, wed and fri and Sat I run about 6 or more miles.  Do you think this is too much or too little.  I need to be ready for a 26K by Sept.  I am not sure how to pace myself.  I ran 6miles in a little under an hour...is that too slow...I am really not looking for speed or to win, but I do want to cross the finish line...what are your thoughts...Anyone else..welcome to chime in...Thanks..this is very helpful...Waiaka

May 28, 2009
    29. Jun 9, 2009 11:04 PM (in response to ragamuffinruns)

I think Mark hit the nail on the head....thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...