Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9311 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 8:43 PM by Waiaka Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Mark W Rice Pro 118 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 10, 2009 6:06 AM (in response to Waiaka)
    Re: GEL and Gatorade

Glad it helped.  Your training sounds reasonable if your body build and abilities are fairly average.  26K is about 16 miles, so I'd be sure that you run a few practice runs at about 12 miles, but don't do them too often unless you're accustom to it.  September gives you a great amount of time to build mileage to that level.  So you're running your 6 miles at a pace of under 10 minutes per mile... concerning the advisability of that, the important issues are, "what your body is used to" and "do you care about speed".   You stated that you only want to finish, so assuming that this speed doesn't feel like too much of a strain, you're fine.  Consider consistent effort rather than consistent pace... it's an easy mistake to make to try to maintain pace up hills and then to take it easy down hills.  Consistent effort will work better, which means a little slower up hills (not too slow) and fairly fast downhills (but ONLY as you can stay totally in control and efficient... another beginner mistake is to go too fast downhill). 

IMPORTANT NOTE: You should build your mileage then you can build any speed you wish to add... but avoid increasing your speed while building mileage too (or be very careful to do each very slowly).  If you do both, you will increase the risk of injury or in the best case, severe fatigue. 

OTHER NOTES: Consider some basic running techniques that will help you reduce your energy output for the same speed (e.g. assure that your head is straight up, do not extend your stride in front of you but rather by pushing off the front of your foot, do not bend at the waist, keep a steady EFFORT not as much a steady pace unless the course is flat... so learn to have a reasonable effort up hills and maintain a reasonable effort downhills, and on both up and down, consider shortening your stride a bit... on the downhills, you want to avoid using muscle to slow down... do some online reading about how to do that. 

Mark

• TX runners Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 10, 2009
    31. Jun 10, 2009 1:19 PM (in response to soldierboy)

I am a distributor for enlyten electrolyte strips that just dissolve in your mouth.  Like the Listerine strips...no messy gels and no heaviness like in Gatorade.

No sugar, No calories, and No carbs!    Check out my website    www.enlyten.com/angelas   Many runners here in Texas are using this product and loving it along with the energy strips!

Jun 10, 2009
    32. Jun 10, 2009 1:22 PM (in response to Mark W Rice)

Mark,

I am a distributor for enlyten electrolyte, energy & more strips!  They are like the Listerine strips that dissolve in your mouth.  NO sugar, NO calories, and NO carbs.  You dont have to stop to go to the restroom while running like you do when drinking sports drinks. 

You can view my website at  www.enlyten.com/angelas to read all about the products and how they work!  Let me know if you have any questions.  Many runners here in Texas are using these and are loving them.

Jun 10, 2009
    33. Jun 10, 2009 1:26 PM (in response to Waiaka)

You should try the enlyten electrolyte strips  www.enlyten.com/angelas  I have had many runners and tri's take these trips and come back to me saying that they LOVE this stuff.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  People who used to cramp alot dont really anymore-

• ragamuffinruns Pro 115 posts since
    Jul 17, 2008
    34. Jun 11, 2009 2:40 PM (in response to Waiaka)

I've used the training program here at Active and it was very helpful in preparing me for my runs.

To God be the glory!

• Waiaka Rookie 5 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    35. Jun 22, 2009 8:43 PM (in response to soldierboy)

A BIG thank you to all that responded!  You all are great.  I made the big mistake i think to say I was running a 26K.....but it actually is a 26mile run....wow big difference ya....well...I will just take all that advise and times it by 10...right...hahahaha...Ya..I think I need to up the miles I am running now..if I am going to make a 26 mile run.  Like I said before...I am not going to run the whole thing, but I AM GOING to cross that finish line....again Thank you for all your great advise!!  Waiaka 

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...