Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1549 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2008 5:23 PM by Manti RSS
Suzanne Pokorny Rookie 6 posts since
Jan 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2008 8:22 AM

Anemia

Anyone here in the ultra forum have to deal with iron deficiency/ anemia?  I have spent most of my life a bit anemic, taking a supplement pretty irregularly.  Last year I was turned down for donating blood, this year I am now up to severe anemia and just was instructed to triple the dosage daily on my iron supplement (by my doctor).  Sitting and breathing has been difficult, so you can guess that my running performance has been slow and painful.  I have 14 weeks until the Mohican 100 and the doctor said it could be 12 weeks before I get my iron level up to normal.  Don't want to let go of my ultra plans so I will continue to press along, hoping I feel better consistently every day.  So far no improvement. 

If you have any suggestions, I welcome them.

-- Suzanne, "MedinaUltraGal"

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 16, 2008 4:25 PM (in response to Suzanne Pokorny)
    Re: Anemia

Suzanne, I hope you start to feel better soon.  I have also been turned down by the Red Cross because my count is too low, but it has not yet seemed to effect my performance (one time it was the day after I had won a local 5k so I thought I was pretty healthy).  Do you know what has caused your levels to drop so quickly?  Anyway, I'm sure you know this but make sure you pair your iron intake with certain foods that increase your body's ability to absorb iron (like OJ) while avoiding those foods that will block absorption (like dairy and coffee).

Best of luck!

Jay

• Manti Pro 28 posts since
    Dec 22, 2007
    2. Apr 6, 2008 5:23 PM (in response to Suzanne Pokorny)
    Re: Anemia

I have been struggling with Anemia for a year now.   After the doctor put me on a multi-vitamin with Iron for six-months it still didn't improve.  So I pilfered my wife's pre-natal Iron supplements and ate red meat and dark green vegetables almost every day for a couple of months and I finally got it up to the bottom of normal.  

I would agree with the prior post.... I do find that if I eat my Iron supplements and foods high in Iron with Orange Juice (and cut the milk that I love so much) that my levels seem to stay higher.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...