Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6854 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2008 2:35 PM by Mandy_C RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
Mar 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 17, 2008 3:36 PM

Where do I start?

I was doing really well, working out 3 times a week.  Then the price of gas kept going on up and my professors decided to give out more homework. So my exercise program declined.  I would like to start getting up early and working out in the morning.  I would really like to jog then to come back to my house and take my dog on a walk around 3 times a week. My problem is that I have no idea of how far I would run, and I don't want to hurt myself either. I am 6 foot and weigh around 210 pounds.  I am exercising to loose a little weight but mainly to tone up and feel better about myself.  I try to eat less to shrink my stomach but then I am always hungry.  How should I go about exercising and watching what I am eating. I am a college student so it is better for me to work out in the morning, I just have no idea where to start. I have goals and motivation I just am not sure how to get started. Does anybody have any ideas?

• jax290 Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    1. Mar 20, 2008 12:13 PM (in response to Mandy_C)
    Re: Where do I start?

I think it's great you are motivated to get a program going.  I am not a trainer, or an elite runner, to take my suggestions with a grain of salt.  My background, I started running over 30 years ago, and with a few short periods of plain procrastination developing into periods of several months without running, I've been running all the years. 

So, to your question "Where do I start?".  There are basically two ways to do this: One, find a beginning program with a goal (5k etc.) and adapt the program to your life style.  The other is to just pick a distance and run/walk the distance, and repeat as often as you can with a 10% increase per week until you are confortable running the distance non-stop.  I prefer the last method, with a goal.  Personally, I go out and run what I feel with a goal , a 5k, 10k, 12k, 1/2 marathon or Marathon in mind.  I structure my program with hard and easy days with a long run one day per week.  The distances are controlled by the end goal. 

As a start, I would pick a 5k.  I'd start with a run/walk for a mile everyday, until you are comfortable with running non-stop for the mile.  After that, I would increase the load by 10% until you are capable of running 3 miles.  Mind you, after you are comfortable with a mile, start with the hard/easy program.  Take one day off per week, and double the distance on the long run day.  Bare in mind, the long run generally ran slower than the other days of the week.  You are building endurance, not speed.  Save the speed for the hard days.  Set your training program to peak about a week before the race, then taper the last week, but don't stop running. 

There are hundreds of running programs on the net, some are in this site.  You might check out http://www.runnersworld.com for more programs.   Pick one, and adjust it to your schedule.  Most of all make it fun.  If you do that, you will stick with it.

And last:  Take your dog on the runs with you.  I have two Austrailian shepherds, one is 11 months old the other is 4 months.  They both go with me on all but my races (most races don't allow dogs).  You will find, after only a couple of runs, your dog will pester you to get out and run.  As soon as I start dressing for the run, they go nuts.  They love running as much if not more than I do.  We did a fantastic 1 1/2 hour run last night, and they are already bugging me to get out today.

Again, most of all, make it FUN.

• wildiris Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    2. Mar 20, 2008 7:02 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

have you looked at the couch to 5K running plan on coolrunning.com?  I am trying to do that one.  The good thing is that if one week feels to hard you can repeat the week over again until it feels good and then go to the next step.

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    3. Mar 26, 2008 10:16 AM (in response to jax290)

Mandy  congrations on strating a program.   like jax I am not trainer either and  have had some periods of procratination  and an injury.  I think your best bet is the run walk program.  Start with a 1 run followed by a 4minute walk do this for 5-6 sets.Incrrease it on a weekly basis depending on how you feel.  Runner's world is a good place to start.  Some one also mentioned the C25k Program as a starting point as well. Stay in touch with your progress or questions.

Vicki

• wildiris Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    6. Mar 26, 2008 3:45 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

yes the bag with the tube is called a camel-back.  They are cool.

Feb 18, 2008
    7. Mar 26, 2008 4:02 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

It depends on the length of run you are doing and the weather.  If you are doing a short run (less than an hour), you should only need a water bottle carrier.

If you are doing an extended run (more than an hour), you might consider a camel back or other type of hydration pack.  Most Camelbacks carry a 100oz bladder.  That's a lot of water and weight.

On the long runs, you need more than just water.  A good idea is to take GU or some other nutritional supplement.  Another thing I do on a planned long run, is hide bottles of Gatoraid along the route to keep the electrolites up.  Another tip:  Most water bottle carriers come with a water bottle, but most sport bottles of water in the 20oz range fit snuggly in the carriers.   You may want to carry gatoraid or some other supplement type fluid that will stain the plastic of your bottle.  The 20oz bottles are disposable, so you don't have to stain your carriers bottle. 

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    8. Mar 26, 2008 9:34 PM (in response to jax290)

Also you need to drink before you run as in the day(s) before you run. How much depends on your individuals and temperature.  A good rule of thumb is when you pee your urine should be clear. If it is not drink more until you reach that point..  If you get thristy on your runs and it is a 30 to 45 minute run you may not be getting enough fluids.  Also it is recommeded that yu use and electrolyte type drink befor an dafter to help maintain your levels and give you carbs for enegy.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Feb 18, 2008
    10. Mar 27, 2008 3:51 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

Mandy, A sports drink is also good during a run, however electrolyte loss is only critical on long runs. But if you prefer it over water, by all means, drink that instead of water. I find that the sweetness of sports drinks is a little hard to swallow on hard workouts. Some friends of mine dilute the sports drink 50/50 with water and it's a little easier to drink when you are hot.

If the sides of your feet are hurting, most likely the shoes you are using are too narrow for your feet. As you said you are a student with limited liquid assets, so try loosening the shoe laces, or skip holes over the arch of the foot and leave the laces loose. I keep my laces so loose, I can slip in and out without having to re-tie the shoe laces. I also experienced pain on the side of my feet, until I made this adjustment. Additionally, your feet will swell somewhat during a run. Caused by the running, and the heat generated by the exercise and the temp of the surface you are running on. On your next purchase of running shoes, try Asics or Adidas, they have a wide foot bed, and won't pinch your foot.

Hope this helps, jax

Feb 18, 2008
    12. Mar 27, 2008 5:35 PM (in response to jax290)

Drop a line and let me know if that worked.  Thanks, jax

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Mar 27, 2008 6:30 PM (in response to Mandy_C)
    Mandy_C wrote:

I am exercising to loose a little weight but mainly to tone up and feel better about myself.  I try to eat less to shrink my stomach but then I am always hungry.  How should I go about exercising and watching what I am eating.

Here is a link to an article I think might be a good read for you if you want to slim down in a healthy way.

http://www.runwashington.com/features/nutrmetab07.html

Also, as much as I love running I would recommend starting out with just a little running integrated with other forms of aerobic exercise and strength training.  Does your college have a pool for swimming, a gym with an elliptical trainer, bike trails, etc.?  Get your body used to working out and then gradually increase the proportion of your running.  This will help you reduce many of the common overuse injuries associated with starting a running routine.

Good luck!

Jay

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Mar 27, 2008 6:34 PM (in response to jax290)
    jax290 wrote:

I find that the sweetness of sports drinks is a little hard to swallow on hard workouts. Some friends of mine dilute the sports drink 50/50 with water and it's a little easier to drink when you are hot.

Have you tried nuun?  If not, check out http://www.nuun.com/nuunis/whatisnuun.html

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...