Skip navigation

2066 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 26, 2008 10:53 AM by saraallent RSS
RedBottle Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2008 5:56 PM

Advice for Newbie

Hi!  I heard about active.com recently and decided to pay a little visit.

I'm 45.  5'9 and currently 193 lbs.  They don't show, but they're there (I've always been heavier than I look).  Not too long ago (about 5 months) I was 170lbs, cycling constantly (about 50-100 miles/week) but then winter came and my wife ramped up the cooking and the rest is history (or extra weight I should say).

Through the years I have remained fairly active.  Pickup basketball when I was younger, running, a few years of Taekwando, weightlifting, hiking.  But with my responsibilities (wife, two teen boys, IT career, church, etc) I haven't been able to maintain a fitness lifestyle.

Well, I'm now tired of seeing the clock tick away and I'd like to do something about it.   With all the fuss about nutrition, proper ways to train, etc, it seems like you need a degree to sort it all out.

Here are my goals, plain and simple.

1) 165-170 lbs.

2) Less than 34" around my waist.

3) Be able to squat 300+ lbs. and bench-bress at least 200+ lbs.

4)  Run a 10k race in no more than 50min.

5) Ride a century in no more than 7 hrs.

6) Just feel good and active and be able to keep up with my kids.

How could I set up a cross-training program that would let me achieve my goals w/o overtraining?  What resources (books, web links, videos, etc) can help me become more " educated" about my training choices?

Thank you!

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 26, 2008 10:53 AM (in response to RedBottle)
    Re: Advice for Newbie

Welcome to the site!

You've come to the right place. I have met so many people on this site who are doing exactly what you are doing. It's great! There are a lot of people in the Newbie section in the[Running Community|http://community.active.com/community/sports/running/]  if you want to check it out. The Cycling Community might also be a great place to receive advice and encouragement for your century ride goals. They will be able to give you some great advice and/or you can also check out our Active Trainer training plans and free online training log.  Another resource a lot of people use is the blog feature. You can blog about anything, but many people blog about their training in order to stay accountable and keep up with their goals, so if that would be of interest to you I would encourage you to look into that. 

If you ever have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me through private message or email. Good luck with your training!

Sara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points