Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1248 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 24, 2008 6:27 AM by Jay Silvio RSS
honguito Pro 135 posts since
Dec 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2008 9:34 PM

Nutrition during a Marathon

Dear friends !

I will be running my first full Marathon on the first Sunday of Octobre. I wonder what is the best form of nutrition during the race. Are gels enough ? Where can I find specific information ? What should I drink ? Are there any book recomendations ? Any kind of help is welcome.

Regards

Gunter

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 24, 2008 6:27 AM (in response to honguito)
    Re: Nutrition during a Marathon

Since you have over half a year to prepare, you should try different combinations during your long training runs because you need to figure out what works best for you.  Some people go with just a sport drink (like Gatorade) while others use gels and/or bars.  Whatever you do, don't mix gels and sport drinks because it will overload your system with carbs and actually pull water away from where it is needed.  If you are using gels/bars then you need to be drinking water instead of a drink that contains carbs (you can, however, use something like nuun http://www.nuun.com/nuunis/whatisnuun.html )

Good luck!

Jay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...