Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

873 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2008 9:24 PM by Dredog RSS
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2008 2:58 PM

Tues. 3/25/08

Today I ran a 10 mile tempo run.  My blister and knee were as good as I could expect them to be, but I just never found my speed.  I was about 15 seconds per mile slower than I had hoped to run (I ended up averaging just under 6:15s rather than just over 6:00s), but it was another run at significantly faster than my marathon pace.  I'll try and run more relaxed for a couple of days before I go long later in the week.

Let's hear about what everyone else did today.

• Dredog Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 12, 2008
    1. Mar 25, 2008 8:13 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: Tues. 3/25/08

I've been reading all your posts the last few days...way to go on the training everyone!!!  Even through the chocolate bunnies.  Wondering where Terry is though....

My mother-in-law passed away Saturday morning so I've been, and will be out of the loop for a while I think.  She was a great friend to me and will be terribly missed.  I've thought about going to the gym, but will see...taking one step at a t ime right now. 

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend and will talk to you soon...

-Andrea

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 26, 2008 5:53 AM (in response to Dredog)

Oh Andrea.  I'm so sorry.  When my dad passed away the one thing that helped me was trying to be consistant with my running.  Even though the shock felt so oppressive that I could hardly breath, if I forced myself to go out and at least start running I found that I could see clearly for a few minutes.  I pray that you and your family can find something that provides peace for you at this time.  Were you expecting this?  You'll be in my prayers.

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 26, 2008 10:13 AM (in response to Dredog)

Andrea, sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's passing.  We lost my mother-in-law last year.  We remained close even after my ex-wife and I divorced.  We were bowling teammates for many years and continued to bowl together until she was 81 y/o. 

I haven't run in more than a week now.  My leg felt tight last week after Tuesday's run so I let it rest.  On Thurs night last week I went to softball practice and it didn't bother me.  I took Fri off, and went to the spin class on Sat.  On Sun I did 40 min of elliptical and weights at the gym.  Mon night was our first softball game of the season.  (We won 24 - 6!  I went 5 for 5 including a triple and a double, not bad for the old guy on the team.)  I planned to run yesterday but my ankle was sore when I woke up (apparently from the game.)  I'm hoping to get a run in tomorrow.

Jan 12, 2008
    5. Mar 26, 2008 9:44 PM (in response to jenhirr)

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all of your kind words.  No Jen, we weren't expecting it.  It was a stroke.  We were on our way up to the hospital Saturday morning because she was still somewhat responsive,  but when we got there she had just had a second stoke that killed her.  She was kept on a breathing machine.  Then Pop's ok'd organ donation....so it was pretty long and drawn out over the weekend.  But now it's just planning and going through everything.  She would have been 61 next month.  Just shows you can't take anything for granted.

-A

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Mar 27, 2008 8:42 AM (in response to Dredog)

No, you definatly can't take things for granted.  I'm sorry for your loss and grateful that you can help others at this time through organ donation.  That is a brave and wonderful gift to share with others.  Please know that your mother in law and her family will always be considered heroes.  That's heart-breaking and amazing all at the same time.

When my brother died @ 15 in 1994 and when my dad died @ 59 in 2004, both unexpectedly, the one constant thing that I was able to notice was just how much we were being given at the same time things were taken from us.  I was, and still am, so amazed at the things I was able to learn about myself through those times.  Obviously, the loss and the sadness is very real but I pray for you at this time you are able to find the little things that can bring you and your family comfort.  I hate that this is such a public way to make a wish for you but please know that we are here and thinking about you and hoping for the best for you and your family.

Jan 12, 2008
    7. Mar 27, 2008 9:24 PM (in response to jenhirr)

Thank you so much, Jen.  You always have such a great way of putting things.  I'm sorry you lost your father and brother so young.  I guess our losses help to build our character and are part of making who we are.

Thanks again,

-Andrea

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...