Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1280 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 13, 2008 5:16 PM by lilly_beth RSS
lilly_beth Amateur 10 posts since
Feb 8, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2008 6:29 PM

Fluctuations on HRM

Problem

Usually, but not always in the first 5 minutes of a run, my heart rate monitor gives me readings of 240. It stays there for around 20 seconds and than it could drop to 190 or 220 than drop down to 119 or 139. After about 5 minutes is usually stabilizes around 145. Sometimes the rate jumps to 190 during in the middle of a run. I know that this number is not accurate. This is driving my nuts and it's very distracting during a run. However, I need my HRM to keep me running slower.

Hard Ware

I have been wearing a heart rate monitor for over 10 years. The current one I use is a timex. The best heart rate monitor I ever owned was the acumen and the worst was the polar. All the HRMs I have ever owned have given me strange readings. However, the most accurate was the acumen.

Question

Why is this happening? My husband tested my HRM and said that he didn't have a problem and it's very accurate. I use a polar heart rate bra that holds the monitor in place. Could this be causing my bad readings? Also, I have considered that I have heart arrhythmia. I did go to the doctor last year and got an echo stress cardiogram which I didn't get any call backs for. I do have very low blood pressure and have a low sodium diet.  Does this have any relevance?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...