Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4535 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 11:20 AM by Julie Ann Hackett
Paul Fallon Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 26, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2008 11:42 AM

Dogs snapping at your heels?

Here in Ireland I have trouble with the dogs I encounter round the windy little country roads.  I can even feel them snapping at my heels!  Can anyone relate?

• runlifer08 Pro 181 posts since
    Mar 1, 2005
    1. Sep 7, 2008 11:45 PM (in response to Paul Fallon)
    Re: Dogs snapping at your heels?

Ya the worst ones are the little bastards...if you stop and just yell they usually run away...I ran into one this summer though that wouldn't stop so I had to just kick him right as he was biting (felt terrible, but I was in Costa Rica and if he had drawn blood he would have to be put down so it was for his own good...)

Western States 100 2014...See you there.
  • jonathan74 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    2. Sep 8, 2008 8:33 AM (in response to Paul Fallon)
    just carry a few pebbles

and bean the dog as it approaches.  They yelp (but aren't hurt) and run away.  Problem solved.

• FayeGreene Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 6, 2010 7:49 AM (in response to Paul Fallon)

Ha, I was wondering this myself yesterday! I live in Kerry and those dogs are everywhere! Some days I feel like they think of me as their daily chase game... Good to know others are trying to sort 'em out as well

• Liz Hammack Rookie 4 posts since
    May 19, 2009
    4. Aug 23, 2010 3:24 PM (in response to Paul Fallon)

I live in the counrty and have a problem with all kinds of dogs. My salution is to carry dog repelent spray with me (my mother-in-law is a postal worker and got me what they use.) This is mainly for my own comfort. Usually dogs go back home when you face them and order them to "go home!!" Even so, it scares and irritates me every time.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Jun 29, 2011 11:20 AM (in response to Paul Fallon)

I used to just ignore them or yell "go home" and after a few seconds most dogs will find something else to do. But one day I got bit. The dog jumped up and latched on to my bum.  I had quite a bruise and the dog was put down.  It took a few years for me to feel comfortable running through the quieter neighborhoods after that.  Now if I get nervous I carry a small thing of mace or even just a big stick.  If you run in an area where its the same dog/s always bothering you, it might be time to call animal control.  The dog that bit me was a repeat offender who was often allowed to roam the streets.  I love dogs and have 2 of my own, but I know its not fun to have dogs you don't know nipping at your heels when you are running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points