Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1490 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2009 9:55 PM by DeVola RSS
prissi c Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2008 10:36 AM

new runner/ moderate jogger

Hello folks, I'm new to this community .

I live and work in austin, texas.

I'm addicted to the hike and bike trail..............yes, I'm always there.  Thank goodness I have some results to show for it

I'm looking for some tips, advice or ANYTHING that can help me improve.

I go jogging about 3-4 times a week.  The longest distance I've ever been able to go is 2 miles.  I can go another mile if I walk at least half a mile to 1 mile.  My legs usually feel good and able to go the distance however my breathing SUCKS. 

I don't know how to improve my breathing.  I've tried everything. .........such as breathing every couple of strides......slow rythmic breathing.......breathing in through the nose and then exhaling more forcefully out of the mouth.  I don't know what else is left.

Could it be that there really is such a thing as having a difficult time with my muscles recieving oxygen???

Or basically there is an issue with the way my muscles absorb oxygen?

It is really difficult to go running with friends because I can't keep up and I'm desperately trying to improve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Priscilla

• hightowngirl Rookie 1 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    1. May 18, 2009 8:35 PM (in response to prissi c)
    Re: new runner/ moderate jogger

Prissi C,

I had the exact same problem for, can you believe this, 12 years!!  I couldn't run with anyone because I couldn't breath.  I would lift weights regularly, do yoga, stretch thoroughly, warm up but couldn't run worth a darn.  So I gave up and decided that i would be the fastest walker on the planet.  I walked for up to 2 hours at a time and kept my pace high.  After keeping this schedule up for 5 days a week for about 5 months, one morning I decided to try to run again at the advice of a good friend (an exceptional runner).  Guess what?  I could breath.  I could run.  I ran for over 4 miles and wasn't overly winded.  No pain!  Just thirst.  I tried again in 2 days.  I was able to repeat the process.  I told my story to several experienced runners from the local runners store.  They all said the same thing - its the walking.  This long story brings me to my suggestions to you:  Do a long walking routing for several months.  It strengthens your lungs.  I live in Arizona and it is hot for 7 months of the year, so I run early in the morning, around 4:45 to 5:00 a.m.  I cannot believe the success I am having. I never thought I would be able to run!  I did the Pat Tillman's run (4.2 miles).  I am signing up for a 10K.  Can't believe it.  I have lost weight, firmed up and feel just great.  Oh, by the way I am 53 years old!  Good luck.

Hightowngirl

• DeVola Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2009
    2. May 18, 2009 9:55 PM (in response to prissi c)
    Re: new runner/ moderate jogger

I am a new runner as well. I have finally worked up to 5 miles. The first to third mile is the most difficult for me! It will get better. I just maybe walk really fast for 30 seconds when I feel tired and then restart running. Honestly though, I think it takes more energy to stop and restart that it is to just push through. Keep going.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points