Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1475 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2008 6:52 PM by Jay Silvio RSS
jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2008 7:13 AM

4/08 tuesday

So, I went swimming today and fell victim to the "know-it-all jerk"  This guy is a really good swimmer and always seems to think he needs to impart his wisdom on everyone, except that he never says anything remotely helpful.  Today, in essence, I was swimming some short intervals with the focus of pushing my breathing and hard as I could (with the last six of a marathon in mind..).  I would swim a few laps and then I would rest and swim some more.  I also have a bunch of friends that swim on tuesdays, so I chatted a little bit too.  We all try as hard as we can to avoid him but somehow I ended up on a rest break as he was finishing so he though he'd tell me how out of shape I look and that my stroke is off and that I'm lazy and I talk too much...So trying to make the most of the situation I said "Uh, Ok, tell me how to fix my stroke."  He then tells me that I need someone good to show me how to do it and that, of course I look good compared to the old ladies I hang out with but next to someone that works hard I'd get trashed.  I mean, he just went on and on about how I don't work hard enough and that I have all this potential for swimming if would just work harder but for now I just look "out of shape and lazy"  I finally told him he was an @$$ and swam off.  I'm sad to report that I shed a few tears in that water too, because I'm a girl but I also came to a few other conclusions....yes, I could work harder and longer  but my friends are an important part of who I am and the  way I balance myself and my workouts and my family is working for us.  And "lazy" or not, I don't suck.  Also, I apprecriate you guys for the support and the willingness to explain things and give tips that are helpful.  So, while I feel sorry for this man who has put so much focus on one thing, my life is very full and I am grateful for it.

I swam for almost an hour and did some core exercises.  What did you all do?

• Katrinagonzalez1 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 9, 2007
    1. Apr 8, 2008 7:45 AM (in response to jenhirr)
    Re: 4/08 tuesday

Wow, that's guy has a real need for a some EGR-Extra Grace Required!   Unfortunately, there are too many people out there like that-that think they're better than the next person.  Of course, that's until someone better than him/her comes along and he shoves his/her foot in the mouth ;o)   I've read some of your previous posts and it doesn't sound to me like you're lazy at all.  I think it's extremely difficult to balance friends, family and work (especially as a woman/mother).  I have two children (1 yr. and 9 yrs), plenty of wonderful girlfriends, school and a full social/work life.  Sometimes I think others just want to make themselves feel better ya know?  It's never a bad thing to shed some tears, but don't let him get to you girl.  He's definitely not worth it and his words are worthless.

Anyway, today I started a 10K training plan.  I've only been running for about a yr now and I recently ran in two 5k runs.  I'm so excited to have started running in races now.  I'm actually going to run in the L.O.S.T. 7 mile run this Saturday.  I'm def nervous because I've never run that far before, but I figure "Hey what the heck, if I can give birth and get back to my normal routine by the next day, then I can suck up a 7 mile run right?"  Have any good advice for the run? 

Thanks for your post,

K

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 8, 2008 1:06 PM (in response to jenhirr)

Jen, no one can rightfully construe a Boston Marathon qualifier as lazy.  It is patently absurd.

The world's full of strange people who make no sense.  Ignore them.

This evening: 4 miles, some strength training, and some core work.

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Apr 8, 2008 3:44 PM (in response to jenhirr)

Jen, some people are clueless. We all have priorities in our lives, and we arrange our training to fit our priorities. I think I know how you feel. I've been going to this spin class at the gym on Saturday's, keep in mind my long runs are usually on Sunday. One of the instructors pushes the class harder than the other instructor. We'll be just into the first few minutes of the class and she is already yelling for everyone to push harder with max effort. In the back of my mind I'm thinking I'm here for the cross training and not to jeopardize my Sunday run. So at times I might appear to be loafing when in fact I'm holding back because my priority is Sunday's run. While for the majority of the class this will be their solo workout for the entire weekend. And there are folks in the class who are good spinners and are more focused on spinning. So act like a duck and let the BS roll right off you.

Katrina, just make sure you don't go out too fast and most importantly have fun.

• Katrinagonzalez1 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 9, 2007
    5. Apr 8, 2008 5:02 PM (in response to Terry4X4)

Thanks for the tip

K

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Apr 8, 2008 6:52 PM (in response to DaveVause)
    DaveVause wrote:

Jen, no one can rightfully construe a Boston Marathon qualifier as lazy.  It is patently absurd.

The world's full of strange people who make no sense.  Ignore them.

Jen, I'm sorry that you had to deal with that pompous jerk.  While part of me thinks you should go back in a few weeks and shove your Boston finisher's medal in his face and tell him you could swim faster if you weren't weighed down with such heavy hardware, Dave is correct: it's best to just ignore such stupidity and not waste a moment of your precious time.

I did an hour of elliptical work today.  I started off slow and gradually picked up the pace.  I ended up doing better than I thought I would on the day after a long run (of course I had pretty low expectations).  We'll see if I have anything left in the tank tomorrow (the second day after a hard workout always seems the worst for me); my right knee and calf are pretty tight.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...