Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1087 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2008 11:33 AM by jenhirr RSS
jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2008 10:39 AM

4/12/08 Saturday

Jay, how did it go?

I swam in an adult swim meet today.  It was very small.  I swam the 800.  There were only three other women plus three men.  We all swam in the same heat.  I worked pretty hard.  It felt good to feel that competetive thing come out when I heard that whistle.  I thought it would take me about 15 minutes but surprisingly I finished in 12 :41.  Realizing it's not super-competitive and there wasn't a lot of talent there but I was still excited.  I knew I gave it all I had.  I even beat all the men too so that was fun.  Ummm, I can't actually move my arms anymore but again, I raced harder than I train so that gives me a little bit of confidence for the marathon.  (Although I do know that  a 1/2 mile swim and a marathon are hardly equivilant)

I hope to get my 10 miler in today but I'll have to see how the day plays out with the kids.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 12, 2008 11:15 AM (in response to jenhirr)
    Re: 4/12/08 Saturday

Jen, what are you doing?  Boston is in just over a week; don't run 10, especially on the same day as a competitive swim.  You need to taper.

I won my 5K with a time 1:20 faster than the time I ran there last year.  It's the first time I have ever won the same race twice so I am pretty happy.  The course is essentially an out-and-back and after the turn around I started hearing comments (from runners coming the other way) like, "There's no one behind you." and, "Hey, he won last year!"  That made me feel good!  After I finished, I went back out and jogged the course two more times to get in some decent mileage (5Ks aren't much for marathon training).  When I got back the line for massages had died down so I got one and picked up some Odwalla bars.  After I got home I took an ice bath and had some lunch (a sweet potato and walnut wrap).  If the weather holds off, I'm hoping to go for a 2-3 mile walk with my wife tonight (my in-laws are having the girls over for a sleep-over).  That should help get some of the stiffness out of my legs.  Next week is the start of my taper, but it's pretty much a normal training week with the long run shortened from 20 to 12 miles.  I may try to swap an additional run day for an elliptical session just to keep the legs fresh.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Apr 12, 2008 7:39 PM (in response to jenhirr)
    Re: 4/12/08 Saturday

My marathon will be in three weeks from tomorrow (May 4).  I have been using the SmartCoach program at http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/ to get a schedule outline.  You may want to plug in some numbers just to get a 16 week training guide and then check out the last few weeks.  The tempo and speed work days stay tough (but are shorter in duration) but the rest of the week is much easier.  Next week my long run will be 12 miles, the week after that it goes down to 8, and then early in the week of the marathon I have a 7 miler.  Does that help?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...