Skip navigation

2519 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2008 10:20 PM by RedLinetoMax RSS
webgem09 Amateur 10 posts since
Apr 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2008 9:51 AM

Do you think softball can get voted back into the Olympics?

With the Beijing Olympics quickly approaching, it's sad to think softball (and baseball) won't be around for the next summer games.

Do you think softball has the global popularity to belong in the Olympics?

I've also heard that the steroid issue in baseball is the main reason it got voted off the Olympic program and that softball got kind of lumped in with that. Anyone think there might be some truth to that?

• jbrowshsptv Expert 34 posts since
    Mar 3, 2008

I feel like baseball and softball have a great chance to be reinstated for the 2012 olympics.  Unfortunately Europe does not play much of either sport (look at the teams from Europe in the World Baseball Classic, one (Italy) competes by getting Americans with Italian ancestry to play for them and the other (the Netherlands) get most of their players from the caribbean island of Curacao.  With the Olympics most likely coming to either North America or South America it would be hard to deny two sports with such large popularity in those areas.  There are clearly no promises, especially since they cut two sports without any foresight, but if the WBC becomes really popular the IOC would have no choice but to allow baseball and softball back in the olympics.

• RedLinetoMax Amateur 7 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008

I think the only way it has any chance of getting voted back in is if other countries continue to develop their talent. Right now Team USA has been far too dominant to justify softball as being a global sport. Maybe years down the line the rest of the world will have caught up and will have a fighting chance at the gold medal. Then the IOC will be more likely to consider reinstating it, in my opinion.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points