Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2013 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2007 5:15 PM by billmr RSS
LacingBackUP Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2007 7:42 PM

Training for a 10K

Once upon a time I ran everywhere, uphill both ways to school even.  And it was mostly 5K races.  But it has been about 3 or 4 years since I have had a regular running routine and I decided to run a 10K at the end of March.  In starting to train again I was wondering if I should start with shorter faster workouts, maybe ladders or for a longer steadier pace where distance is the focus.  I am looking to utilize the next two months to the best of my ability and cut as much time as possible.  I'd like to run the 10K at a 7 minute mile pace or better.  Any suggestions?

• matlombardi Pro 93 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 1, 2007 11:19 AM (in response to LacingBackUP)
    Re: Training for a 10K

I believe that most training schedules incorporate both distance and speed. You need the distance training to increase your fitness and the speed drills to increase your, uh, speed.

Having only rare glimpses of 7 minute miles on my chrono I would not hazard to advise any more than that. I will say that there are about 80 gajillion training schedules online and would recommend googling 10k training for more specific advice.

Good luck with your training.

mat

• billmr Expert 41 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Feb 1, 2007 5:15 PM (in response to LacingBackUP)
    Re: Training for a 10K

Hal Higdon . com has good training schedules from 5K to the Marathon...

Good Luck!

url=http://onemoremile.netOne More Mile/url

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...