Skip navigation

7268 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2008 11:53 AM by saraallent RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • amchavez Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 2, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 29, 2008 7:54 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Should face masks be mandatory?

I agree with saftey first. 

Also, if they are playing HS softball, they more than likely had been playing Rec/Travel ball for some/all of their youth and are used to wearing face masks.

Smiles,

Anusheh

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Apr 29, 2008 11:53 AM (in response to joliversptv)
    Re: Should face masks be mandatory?
    joliversptv wrote:

It took girl's lacrosse some time to adapt to the madatory eye guards and now it is a non issue.  Given time, facemasks will be the same for softball.

I agree that they will adjust quickly and it will be a thing of the past within a few short months if a rule were to get passed to mandate face masks.

However, the game of women's lacrosse got way more aggressive when they mandated goggles. I can't even tell you what it was exactly that made the players become more aggressive with goggles, but it must have been something about the illusion of added protection. The eyes and forehead were protected, but there was a significant increase in checks to the head. It is possible this would have happened with or without goggles, but it is interesting nonetheless.

So with that being said, is it possible this could also happen in softball? Obviously the games are very different, but I wonder if we'd see a lot more wild pitches. Thoughts?

I do see the benefit of face masks in softball. It makes more sense then goggles in lacrosse. At least it will leave the softball players protected.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points