Skip navigation

6451 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2008 5:51 AM by Ty RSS
sysrqt Amateur 9 posts since
Apr 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2008 11:05 AM

High school ball in the fall?

Just wondering which states play their normal high school season in the fall (not fall ball). And, if you're in one of those states; do you like it that way?

• recdwyer Amateur 22 posts since
    Apr 19, 2008
    1. Apr 23, 2008 11:11 AM (in response to sysrqt)
    Re: High school ball in the fall?

We play high school ball in the fall here in Nebraska.

I like it that way as the teams are just coming off summer ball, nationals etc. The one drawback about playing in the fall is that we are limited on the number of fall exposure tournaments we can attend.

• webgem09 Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 3, 2008
    2. Apr 25, 2008 8:33 AM (in response to sysrqt)

Oklahoma plays their high school softball in the fall as well. I think it makes more sense for states a little more north where the weather is more likely to be inclement in the spring than in the fall. Rather, the portion of the season that gets cold in the fall is so small to the large pectentage of games that are freezing in the spring season!

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Apr 25, 2008 10:19 AM (in response to sysrqt)

I THINK IT WOULD BE GREAT TO GO TO FALL BALL!!  HERE IN INDIANA THE SPRINGS ARE COLD, AND WET....THE EARLY FALL IS DRY AND HOT, ALSO IT WOULD GIVE COLLEGE COACHES A CHANCE MAYBE TO SCOUT MORE SINCE IT IS THEIR OFF SEASON.    ALL THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO IS TO FLIP FLOP VOLLEYBALL AND SOFTBALL, WHAT BETTER WAY??

4. Nov 1, 2008 5:40 PM (in response to sysrqt)

I'm from missouri and we play in the fall. i like it a lot. I would rather play a longer summer ball season than playing half a season because of hs ball. I dont enjoy hs ball as much so im glad its during a time i wouldnt play much anyway.

5. Dec 8, 2008 5:51 AM (in response to sysrqt)

Georgia plays in the fall. Not due to weather, but when softball was introduced as a high school sport there were not any for girls in the fall.  Volleyball was introduced years after softball.

Playing in the fall is a recruiting advantage for those states because college coaches are not in-season and have more time to be out on the road watching players.  Watching players in their high school environment does not count in an NCAA colleges 50 recruiting dates like it does for travel ball, so they can go and see players as many times as they like.  This gives them a better opportunity to evaluate the players.

Ty

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points