Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2971 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2008 9:34 AM by jcrule
serpentine27 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2008 12:32 PM

Sudden heavy legs?

Going into week 4. At first the most difficult part was my breathing but I'm already feeling a lot fitter cardiovascular-wise. Now all of the sudden I'm getting really heavy legs when running. My quads feel good but my calves and feet feel REALLY heavy, as if I'm running with ankle weights on. Why is this happening all of the sudden and how can I relieve it? Thanks so much!

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    2. Apr 25, 2008 8:15 AM (in response to serpentine27)
    Re: Sudden heavy legs?

I think we have all experienced heavy legs at some point along our jouney.  I think it's two aspects related to it.  1) Your body is still getting used to running and adapting.  Your major muscle groups, especially your legs will just get pain tired making them feel heavy.  2) The Mental Challenge - I'm not sure if you have read ahead or from groups past on this board, but alot of beginning running is mental.  If I get unfocused on the run, my body will still start to feel sluggish.  If I am in more of a "zone" I can literally feel light as a feather (well, not that light, but a very comfortable weight to run at - and I'm overweight).  With intervals it's very hard to get into a zone. 

I struggled getting through the C25K - mentally.  But I did it.  Pushed through all the negative mind talk, and now I'm in the HHST training for a 10K.  AND my 3 mile runs are starting to feel GOOD!   

Be patient and just ust hang in there, it DOES get better!

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• GLBryan Rookie 278 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Apr 25, 2008 8:29 AM (in response to jcrule)

JC - It is good to hear that the 3 milers are starting to feel good. I'm just at the end of the C25K and can do them ok - somedays easier than others - but they don't feel good yet.

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    4. Apr 25, 2008 9:34 AM (in response to GLBryan)

Hey GLB, don't get me wrong, they are not "easy", but they do feel like a good workout now.  And I'm not dying at the end.  LOL

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...