Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1420 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2008 9:36 AM by culinarydoctor RSS
AGsoccerpal Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 7, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 27, 2008 1:45 PM

Ab Workout

Im in my second year of running and might very well be my last for training for races. I still plan to stay in shape at all costs with this but I have problems with strengthening and toning my lower abs. Im not too fond of going out and buying machines and was hoping someone had some advice for some good lower ab excersizes. Im doing countless sit-ups/crunches, and leg lifts but Im still being held back from the results I want.

Having the abs toned out has given me the mental edge that I can fight off cramps as I train and have found success in it. Please help me out if you know of anything that can help me out with this.

Thanks--

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 28, 2008 6:00 PM (in response to AGsoccerpal)
    Re: Ab Workout

No need to buy magazines when there are more ab workouts than you could ever do in ten lifetimes on the internet.  A quick search at runnersworld.com yielded about 500 hits.

• culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    2. Apr 29, 2008 9:36 AM (in response to AGsoccerpal)
    Re: Ab Workout

Three main components of any quality abdominal routine; upper, lower and transverse abdominals.  If you neglect rotational exercises, your hips and lower mid section won't tighten up.  Also, I recommend strengthening your lower back as well.  Leg lifts utilize the hip flexors as the primary movers, while stimulation of the lower abdominals require movement of the pelvis not just the fibula.

Might want to investigate some deep breathing techniques, like those employed in Qi Gong exercises.  Diaphramatic breathing can drastically improve the shape of your torso, even while you're sleeping.  Check it out. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...