Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2324 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2009 8:18 PM by JohnDRunner RSS
heranadoxc Rookie 3 posts since
May 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2008 8:30 PM

Why do i keep losing my legs?

I ran croos country for my frshman year and ran 18 flat.. But since at districts every race i ran in  my legs give up and not my upper body. I kept training and now im running 19:30s and I used to run 18s .. For example i tried to run a 5k on the track today and started at 6 flat pace and i can easly do that and my legs give up on me . They start dying on me and i can't stand straight up and the hit alot differntly than usuually. I tried everything for it .. Please Help

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 4, 2008 1:10 AM (in response to heranadoxc)
    Re: Why do i keep losing my legs?
    heranadoxc wrote:

I tried everything for it .. Please Help

Welcome to active.com!

Without knowing about any other factors in your life, my initial question is: Have you tried taking a recovery week?  Perhaps you are simply over-training right now and your body needs a break.  Take a full week where you cut back your mileage down to 75% of normal and don't run hard.  Nothing but easy runs for a week.  It's recommended that you take a recovery week every month in order to allow your muscles time to repair and rebuild. Remember, you don't get stronger during your workouts but rather during the rest periods that follow.  I hope this helps.  Please let us know if you have any more questions or comments.

Good luck!

Jay

Jul 9, 2007
    3. May 5, 2008 6:15 PM (in response to heranadoxc)

45 miles per week seems on the high end for 5K training.  How many key workouts do you have each week and how old are you?

Jul 9, 2007
    5. May 9, 2008 12:12 PM (in response to heranadoxc)
    heranadoxc wrote:

I am 15.

You are overtraining.  You don't need to be putting in 50 mile weeks in high school for the 5K.  Heck, I was probably averaging just over 60 miles per week for my marathon training!

• JohnDRunner Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    6. Feb 8, 2009 8:18 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Everybody is different. But for competitive 5k, most experts (Jack Daniels, Brad Hudson to name 2 of the authors I've read) recommend 25 to 60 miles per week for a competitive runner. Where you will optimally land in this range depends on a lot of factors including your age, running background, and whether you respond better to faster/shorter interval training or longer distances. 45 miles per week may be a good volume for you, as long as you get adequate rest. Those 1/month recovery weeks are a good place to start. My last training cycle, I was running 45-55 miles/week training for 5k's, but I found I needed 1 recovery week for every 2 weeks of hard training. But you may be quite different in your optimal training needs. I believe Bernard Legat trains for something like 90 miles a week. (I think that is what I recall reading in Running Times anyway.)

The best recommendation I can give you is to read "Run Faster" by Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald. That book is probably my favorite out of the training books I've read so far. The book provides a sound training philosophy and some programs. The programs are a nice tool for assessing your current training and finding ways to improve it. They also make a fine starting point for someone who has already been running.

I hope you find my longwindedness helpful.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points