Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1694 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2008 8:25 AM by kschafer RSS
Easonglobal Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 28, 2006 6:20 AM

FAT and Wanna Start  AGAIN for Real

I am 237 pounds 5'6". I was running 5Ks doing a 16-17 minute mile.  I had a seizure due to sleep apnea and got scared.  Need to lose weight and really loved to run. Doctor has me on Dilantin to prevent future seizures. Since the seizure, I have been curled up in a little ball and eating like crazy. Meanwhile my subscription to runners world still comes in every month and I feel a sense of longing. I am an assistant principal and we are doing a 5K at my school here in MD on the 19th and a week before that I want to do the Preakness 5K. I need to buckle down. HELP!!!! How should I begin.  My mind has gotten in the way. Even my Doctor said that running is not something to avoid. I need some motivation. Attached is a picture of me at 18.

Help a fat girl out,

Kim

P.S. I was VERY athletic in High school Vollyball team, horseback riding, and chasing boys. I want it back at 34 just before my husband and I have our first baby.

• waveband Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Dec 28, 2006 12:03 PM (in response to Easonglobal)
    Re: FAT and Wanna Start AGAIN for Real

Girl,

I am just about your same height F 36y.o. I used to weigh 250. I am now down to 175 and still losing (although a little slower now). I started running on Thanksgiving '04 at the beach in Galveston. I could only run something like 30 feet at first. I just kept with it and adding to it. This October ('06) I ran the Army 10-miler in Washington DC. I nearly cried at the end. Just start with what makes you sweat until you are out of breath. Keep coming back to it. Join a gym, get a treadmill, use them both. I have found that when I was beginning, I would run every other day to recover. I can now run 3-4 days before I have to take a day off. Good Luck.

Email if you want. waveband@gmail.com

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Dec 28, 2006 1:54 PM (in response to Easonglobal)

if you haven't already sign up for the races for me once I write the check I got something to train for. check around for local running clubs  I think there are a couple tri clubs in your area too BAC(Balt area tri club) and one in columbia (link probably at tricolumbia.org) and see if you can recruit your hubby or friend to be your training partner. I have a had couple and they are great it's hard to sleep in on a cold march saturday morning when you know your pal is out there waiting for you to do a run.  if you don't have a training plan yet check this site and halhigdon.com

good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• gsingjane Expert 41 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Dec 29, 2006 4:38 AM (in response to Easonglobal)
    things to think about

But first, congratulations on your resolve!  It is great to sign yourself up for events - they will give you motivation to continue.  I did exactly this when I needed to lose weight, I committed to do something four months in the future where I knew it would be very embarrassing if I showed up at the weight I was then.  When I thought about eating, then I'd think about how humiliating it would be to show up as heavy as I was.  It really worked!

Two thoughts: first, talk to your doc about the side effects you're experiencing from the Dilantin.  Maybe there is another med you can use that wouldn't cause the inactivity/overeating syndrome you're going through.  Second, you mentioned you were hoping to start your family soon.  That is a wonderful incentive to lose that weight!  If you go into a pregnancy at your current weight, you'll probably experience many more health difficulties than you will at a healthier weight (hypertension, gestational diabetes).  And, I understand that heavy women actually have a more difficult time getting pregnant in the first place (don't know if this is you, of course).  So think of losing the weight as not only an investment in your own future, but in your baby's as well. 

HTH and good luck!

Jane in CT

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Dec 29, 2006 7:59 PM (in response to Easonglobal)

I would start out with some elliptical training to keep the joint stress down.  Then add some strength training to build muscle mass which will increase metabalism and help you drop weight quickly.

ps - I'm a teacher in MD (RICA-Rockville) and I'm always looking for 5Ks.  Where is your school?

• DaddyCoop Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Dec 30, 2006 11:49 AM (in response to Easonglobal)

Kim - you are AWESOME!  Congratulations on your resolve and commitment.  We've got a free 5K training program on our website you're welcome to pull up - it's at www.FullSpectrumCoaching.Net

Go get 'em!!

• kschafer Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    7. Mar 28, 2008 8:25 AM (in response to Easonglobal)

Thanks for sharing. You are not alone. I am 30, 179 and am 5 4. I have been scared to start running because I am top heavy. I don't care any more. I am just going to go for it. There is a Breast Cancer Run/ Walk at the end of April. I have already started to train.

I wish you all the best!! DON't GIVE IN! DON't GIVE UP!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...