Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2030 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 5, 2008 2:16 PM by cbgrunfast
5K-Ker Rookie 59 posts since
Feb 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 5, 2008 1:57 PM

Hill Training in Chicago?

My husband is a marathonerhas run 16and is looking for good spots for training for hills in the Chicago-area (Can you say "flat"?)  We are in the western suburbs, but he will travel somewhat for hills to run.  I told him I'd check in here for input (or ideas of where else we might find ideas), as this community has been helpful for me as I train for an upcoming 5K.  I know a lot of you just ran Boston, and there are many other hilly marathons out there...how do you prepare when you live in flat areas?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have to offer!

Kerry

• cbgrunfast Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 5, 2008 2:16 PM (in response to 5K-Ker)
    Re: Hill Training in Chicago?

Hi, Kerry: I lived there and I know how flat it is....a couple of suggestions. Go west to Geneva and St. Charles. They are really pretty towns along the St. Charles River and you can find hills.  Not huge ones but certainly better then the Chicago area. Other ideas are to run up parking garage ramps (no kidding) or find stadium stairs to do some stair work. Man made hills like overpasses to the highways are possible but you have to find the right road that allows pedestrian traffic. Good luck. Hilly in Pennsylvania

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...