Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10354 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 6, 2008 12:55 PM by mtreed RSS
RunninOnE Pro 74 posts since
Apr 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 6, 2008 10:51 AM

All of You "Stupid" Runners

I decided to join the local running club this past week for one of their weekly runs, and my girlfriend and one of her friends decided to join us.  When we got there the runners were milling around, we didn't take off for ten minutes, and all of the runners are of differing abilities.  In my eyes I did not see anything new or distrubing.  My girlfriend and her friend kept asking who was in charge.  No one is, we can do what we want and leave and go as we please, but that takes away from the club mentality, I told her.

I asked my girlfriend if she would like to join us again this week.  Here is her response, "I think it is a stupid social club.  Everyone runs at different speeds, no one sticks together.  It is just stupid."

This has been her answer to everything running related.  I love her despite this (although she sees it as MY problem)   I am a morning runner and she is more distressed by the early morning runs than anything because she is afraid someone will break into our house and kill her when I am gone.  Those darn early morning serial killers!  She is constantly ripping on running in general, mostly due to her lack of understanding ("So, you actually like it when your legs feel like they are going to fall off after your long run?") and mostly because she is not interested in sports (She's a Cubs fan ).

Anyone else get the same thing?  Are all runners misunderstood by non-runners?  Does it ever get better?  When!!!????

Act like a horse.  Be dumb.  Just run.

- Jumbo Elliot

Smile, it confuses people.

• mtreed Expert 43 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 6, 2008 12:55 PM (in response to RunninOnE)
    Re: All of You "Stupid" Runners

I dont have an answer for ya my friend, but I feel your pain!   I know exactly what you are talking about.

My wife says I am obessed with running.  Even though I dont go as nearly as much as I would like.  But thats not the point!   She will complain about her weight at the same time she is explaining how much she hates to exercise.  She is not really overweight at all either  (must be a woman thing  )  I am sure I will catch some grief for that statement! Thats ok, let me have it!        Hang in there.  maybe she will come around.  I am still working on it here as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...